• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

g4 chaincase replacement

C
Dec 27, 2007
Blew up chaincase today. Sent chain out the top of the case. Need to replace both halves. Whats the deal with these goofy rivets holding chain case to tunnel? Found the rivet tool its 800 bucks so thats not happening. Use bolts?

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Luckily mine blew right before my warranty expired so I was covered. Same deal as you are explaining, both halves had to be replaced.

Let us know which way you go!

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Check with your dealer, it’s should come with all of the hardware needed, if ordered correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
Blew up chaincase today. Sent chain out the top of the case. Need to replace both halves. Whats the deal with these goofy rivets holding chain case to tunnel? Found the rivet tool its 800 bucks so thats not happening. Use bolts?
I have a chain case cover, the gears, and everything you need for sale……if you want it? I’ll sell it for cheap. Came off of a 2022 Freeride 154 inch.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Sounds like you have it figured out. When I replaced the case on my 17, I used SS bolts in place of the rivets without issue.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

C
Dec 27, 2007
One more question on new chaincase none of the cover bolt holes are tapped. Are these some kind of strange thread forming bolt?
Do I need to use new ones? Why does skidoo use weird hardware like this and those rivets???? Just tap the damn holes for a normal bolt. Never ran across any weird **** like this working on motorcycles for decades.

Attachments

• thumbnail (7).jpg
    thumbnail (7).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 7

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
those bolts form their own threads in the soft magnesium of the case. they have a slightly triangular cross section and yes, you can reuse them.

Last edited:
Premium Features