• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris RMK skid removal

W
May 27, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
I have a 2006 Polaris 700 RMK with a 151 track. I am replacing the 151 with a 159 and am having a hard time removing the driveshaft and one of the two bolts on the front sissors. Any help, pictures or advice would help me out alot. Thanks

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
The rear suspension needs to be completely removed before you'll be able to remove the driveshaft. So getting that bolt out of your scissor becomes first priority.

Maybe somebody else will chime in here but in the past I've had to cut the hex of the bolt because one bolt will usually come out and the other one will usually just spin the cross shaft. Polaris uses loctite on the threads and makes taking these bolts out a pain.

Unless you can find a way of holding on to the cross shaft to keep it from turning, I don't see anyway of getting around cutting the hex off the bolt.

Once the bolt is out you should be able to lay the sled on its side and remove the rear susp.

I presume that you have the bearing housing apart on the clutch side, if not do so. Get under your sled and push the axle towards the secondary side of the sled it should come out with virtually no probs..

Take a break and have a beer! Well maybe wait till noon.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
If one side is loose and the other is spinning tighten up the loose side real tight and then break loose the side that would not come loose Air gun is best .

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
retighten the bolt that comes loose first.go to other side and done.

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN
If your tunnel is bare aluminum, you can tighten the bolt that is loose then use a small torch to heat the stuck bolt. This should loosen the loctite. If your tunnel is painted, have to use the impact like hardass said.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
if you cant get it off with a wrench,better take it to somebody who knows what there doing.LOL.:)

S
Nov 27, 2007
SK
I've drilled a small hole in the front shaft. Through the outer tube and partially into the inner shaft. Put a small punch in the hole to hold both shafts and keep them from turning. Once you have that punch in there you can loosen both bolts on either side of the tunnel with no problems.

Afterwards you can seal the hole in the shaft with a rubber tape to keep the grease from leaking out and the snow from getting inside and rusting everything.

If someone has a better method, please let me know.

Sasky

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I have a 2006 Polaris 700 RMK with a 151 track. I am replacing the 151 with a 159 and am having a hard time removing the driveshaft and one of the two bolts on the front sissors. Any help, pictures or advice would help me out alot. Thanks

You are probably going to have to use an impact driver to get those bolts out without the other one spinning on you ... That was the only way I could figure out how to do it at least.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I thought we visited this in a PM???

Take the loose bolt out... clean it up... re install it tighlty...

Using an impact gun.... loosen the other side and then remove the one one that you cleaned up... The same method goes for most parts of the suspension.

For tall lug tracks... I prefer to remove the chaincase for this and then install ...

Tracks can be done single handed... but take much less time to do with another set of hands

Good luck.

W
May 27, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
Thanks guys/gals for all of the info, yes i suppose i should invest in a impact wrench. i have the right side bolt removed but the clutch side is tought. I will look into all of your ideas. Oh and mountainhorse, suppose i should have started this post in the Polaris 700/900 section!

T
Jan 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
Removing bolt

Take the loose bolt out, clean it up, thread on a hex nut that has the same threads as the bolt. Screw the bolt back on the shaft about half way. Now tighten the nut against the tunnel while keeping the bolt from spinning. This will "jamb" the shaft and bolt so it won't turn. Now you should be able to remove the bolt that was stuck. Once you get that bolt out, loosen the nut one other side and that bolt should spin out easily. Very simple and effective without damageing threads of drilling holes.

S.Diddy

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Park City, UT
Yeah after talking to a few people the other day on pm's, I took the bolt that came out, cleaned it really good, lubed it with some oil, put it back in really tight, got the stuck one free, then the oiled one came out fine...all done with a socket wrench! If you do it like this you should have no trouble.

Premium Features