• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Plugs backing out

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
So I was sure I read on here someone else having this problem last season. I have a 16 Axys and installed the silber kit with 5 lb spring in. After a few miles on first ride the check engine light came on and my plugs were both just hanging on by a thread. I snugged them back down and when I got back to the trailer I checked and noticed they were loose again.

Having stripped a plug in the past I am a little gun shy about cranking them down. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
My pro with a BD was making the plug come loose....the advice was detonation, which seems possible, so I've gone through everything and think I may have found the possible cause. I don't think the boost solenoid was working. We'll see once there's good snow.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
thanks for the quick replies. never went into limp mode, but I will watch for that Thursday when we go back out.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Detonation will rattle the plugs loose, as has been stated. It takes quite a bit of torque to strip a spark plug. I typically use 1-2 fingers on a short 3/8 ratchet. I'd have to look up the real torque spec, but I rarely use a Torque wrench at home. They required we use them at work, so I feel I have a pretty good feel for what a certain fastener will take / require.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
What elevation and fuel are you riding at?

About 7000 and up from there. 91 non-eth with a gallon of race added. However, I was running in the non-eth setting and Justin at silber let me know I need run in the eth mode with his setup.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Watch your rpm's, you may be revving out a bit to far and creating Det. 8350-8500 is where you want to be. Gap those plugs down to a a tight .020.

The Eth mode will fatten it up some and may help.

562xp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2012
With a gallon of race gas at 7 psi riding at 7K elevation you probably have half the race gas you need. Should be around 30% race.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
You should probably take a look at the tops of your pistons too. You rattled the plugs loose twice.... you may have done some damage to the piston tops. Eric

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
You should probably take a look at the tops of your pistons too. You rattled the plugs loose twice.... you may have done some damage to the piston tops. Eric

Most likely will not see it on the top, will need to look towards the top edges.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Additionally if you let it go too long the upper rod end journal will get beat from a nice smooth round circle to a lobed cauliflower shape from the constant hammering transmitted thru the needle bearings. FWIW

Detonation left unchecked can get expensive really quick.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks for the help. I hope I didn't cause any issues with the pistons. Only rode a total of 11 miles and to be clear 7K is where we unload and go up from there in elevation. I never noticed RPMs over 8400 and after noticing it the first time I was pretty conservative heading back to the trailer. Either way it is not hard to see how things look.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
just to confirm, you said you were running *FIVE* PSI at 7,000 on up correct?

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
just to confirm, you said you were running *FIVE* PSI at 7,000 on up correct?

That is correct. 5lb spring which I understand seems to be more like 7lbs on this kit and 7000ft or higher is where we unload.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
That is correct. 5lb spring which I understand seems to be more like 7lbs on this kit and 7000ft or higher is where we unload.

Its absolutely more than 5 but how much more is debatable.

I'd wager its closer to 6, meaning you are close to ~17.3-18 MAP, which is about 3.6-4ish psi above stock at sea level. I would expect with good non-ethanol gas there to be no problem.

So this is the rub, I'm honestly not confident in much of the pump gas around the country. There are certain stations known for good gas, but if you end up with skunky gas or something happened to the fuel you are screwed.

This is why the whole idea of a "pump gas" turbo is starting to be concerning to me. In theory it should be fine. In practice, there are so many variables that can cause problems even at MAP of 17ish.

To add, race gas has a limited shelf life. Buying some from a powersports shop that has been sitting there for years is a surefire way to see det. (no pun intended)

Anyway, rants aside, my $0.02 is to run an AV gas mix, and run more than you think you need. End of the day it's cheap insurance.

Premium Features