• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Painted tunnels

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
How are the painted tunnels holding up? Does one brand hold up better than others? I know it's hard to properly bond paint to aluminum. Thanks

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Not near as well as they did back in the late 90's and early 00's. The stuff they used back then was tough stuff and held up very well. I stripped the tunnels on a few yamahas and it took some NASTY aircraft stripper to get that stuff off. The sleds now will chip/scratch if you look at them wrong. Eric

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I get a kick out of this topic.
In '98 SkiDoo brought out the first Summit X w/bare tunnel celebrating the weight lost by this move. LOL

Now we are told you have to have a painted tunnel to shed snow. OK
I would bet none of us could feel the advantage or disadvantage either way, yet we follow like a bunch of stupid damned sheep!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I get a kick out of this topic.
In '98 SkiDoo brought out the first Summit X w/bare tunnel celebrating the weight lost by this move. LOL

Its funny you mention that. Both the sleds I stripped the paint from the chassis were race sleds. If I recall it removed 5-7 lbs.

I had a friend that raced Sprint cars and never painted anything on his chassis. It was all bare steel (cr-moly) and was just rubbed down with WD-40.
Just think how much a gal of paint weighs :) Its free weight removal. Eric

Premium Features