• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear Track Shock won’t always hold itself up

F

fltrsei97

Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
I currently have a 2022 Summit X but I’ve had several new Summit X sleds that have had this same issue.

Sometimes the rear shock acts like it looses all of its compression and won’t hold the tunnel up. Then, after a minute and cycling the shock a few times it pumps back up.

I’m not a shock guy so don’t understand what is happening in the shock.

Does it need rebuilt?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
If the shock is low on pressure than a trail ride can heat up the shock and the suspension will sack out and loose ride height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D
Mar 13, 2014
Every time this has happened to me the shocks were hot. Seems to effect rebound more but thats just a guess. Had them so hot in BC the suspension was gone completely.

D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah
Anyone know what pressure the Rear KYB Shock is on the 22-23 Expert? My guess is 200PSI
Anyone know what pressure the Rear KYB Shock is on the 22-23 Expert? My guess is 200PSI
The factory shocks are not air shocks! When you’re talking psi that is only on a FOX air shock! Your rear KYB shock is all valving and oil. You can adjust it with the compression setting to make it stiffer or less stiff. If you are getting sad you can try turning up your detergenYour rear KYB shock is all valving and oil. You can adjust it with the compression setting to make it stiffer or less stiff. If you are getting sag you can try turning up your Torsion spring adjustment. I meant to 205 pound guy. With all my gear and closer to 240 lbs. I run my torsion springs on 3 or 4 setting…Depending on the snow condition

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The factory shocks are not air shocks! When you’re talking psi that is only on a FOX air shock! Your rear KYB shock is all valving and oil. You can adjust it with the compression setting to make it stiffer or less stiff. If you are getting sad you can try turning up your detergenYour rear KYB shock is all valving and oil. You can adjust it with the compression setting to make it stiffer or less stiff. If you are getting sag you can try turning up your Torsion spring adjustment. I meant to 205 pound guy. With all my gear and closer to 240 lbs. I run my torsion springs on 3 or 4 setting…Depending on the snow condition

Huh? The oil is pressurized with nitrogen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
Shock pressure is NOT what is affecting the sag. Nitrogen pressure is there to prevent cavitation and thus proper damping action. More pressure will make the shock slightly harder to compress at rest, but this isn't the true function of the nitrogen. Limiter strap position and torsion spring are responsible for the sag.

T
Dec 25, 2022
Idaho
I was told by my dealer that they have submitted several warranty claims to BRP for the sag issue and they are being told that the sag is designed in to the suspension.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
^^^ this! Because the valving and pressure are set low, I noticed this when I saw my first G5 on the floor. When the shock gets hotter it will get worse.
I immediately sent my shocks out for revalve and respring. No sag in my suspension even with a long whooped out trail.

Last edited:
A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
^^^ this! Because the valving and pressure are set low, I noticed this when I saw my first G5 on the floor. When the shock gets hotter it will get worse.
I immediately sent my shocks out for revalve and respring. No sag in my suspension even with a long whooped out trail.

Can you explain how a HOT shock can sag more ? Doesn't make sense. Nitrogen expands less than air, but still, shock pressure will be higher when hot.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Can you explain how a HOT shock can sag more ? Doesn't make sense. Nitrogen expands less than air, but still, shock pressure will be higher when hot.

The nitrogen aids the the reservoir floating piston to return to normal pushing the oil back into the shock and pushing the rod back to full travel.

Hot oil is thinner it will move easier through oil passages, reducing dampening, and FYI viscosity is the resistance to flow.

Don’t believe me, Grab your stock front shocks and see how hot they are after pounding down a whooped out trail.

E
Dec 19, 2007
This has been talked about in several pages. Best and easiest solution is to take the shock off, take it to someone that can service it and have them change the oil and re-gas it. For that matter, might as well do all four. Gas is at 300 psi for stock KYB. Yes, the valving is too soft for the rider above 170 lbs as usual, been that way for 20 years. You can always revalve the shock and/or add stiffer springs to the rear.

Premium Features