p drive on a summit x t3 16

Apr 29, 2021
quebec
hello, im buying a 600rs p drive for my summit 16 and the clutch come with all the stuff it need to fit on a 800 etec and an dj clutch kit and all that for 1100$ cad. So my question is: Do u guys think its worth it? thanks in advance

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
No. The p drive is expensive and non rebuildable. The massive power of a 600rs can be harnessed cheaper, better and more adjustable with a Tra.
Woohoo!

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Yes. If racing side by side, a tra will perform better than a PDrive. I’m not sure about the 600rs PDrive but an 850 pdrive has a offset fixed sheave(wobble)and the belt slips because of this. The belt temps will be higher.
In spite of this info, go with the PDrive as you will always wonder if it would have worked. I don’t think the performance will be a noticeable difference and you get bragging rights for doing this first! Go for it!
Also, on an 800 Etec, the Ecu only lets the engine rev up at a certain rate. If the revs rise too fast, like when a belt blows, the engine will cut out briefly. This can happen if there isn’t enough load on the motor. Not a big deal, but something to watch for.
Good luck and great thinking out of the box!

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Drop one or two teeth on the top gear. Zing zing!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
ok and whats the best ratio you would recommend and do u think its worth it to put a belt drive?
I sell belt drives so I am biased but side by side you can notice the quick response of the belt drive, if all other things are equal. The thing to think about is a well clutched sled with chain drive will still out-perform a poorly clutched sled with a belt drive. It is just common sense that a lighter driveline will spin up faster and easier than a heavier one. If you are running a heavy track that can hide the benefits. The biggest reasons I like my belt drive is simplicity, low maintenance and reliability while making working on it or gear changes easier.

Premium Features