• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

p drive on a summit x t3 16

C
Apr 29, 2021
quebec
hello, im buying a 600rs p drive for my summit 16 and the clutch come with all the stuff it need to fit on a 800 etec and an dj clutch kit and all that for 1100$ cad. So my question is: Do u guys think its worth it? thanks in advance

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
No. The p drive is expensive and non rebuildable. The massive power of a 600rs can be harnessed cheaper, better and more adjustable with a Tra.
Woohoo!

C
Apr 29, 2021
quebec
but i want to catch more response on a 800 etec by installing a 600rs p drive because its the only one that will fit on it but you are saying that the tra is better than a p drive?

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Yes. If racing side by side, a tra will perform better than a PDrive. I’m not sure about the 600rs PDrive but an 850 pdrive has a offset fixed sheave(wobble)and the belt slips because of this. The belt temps will be higher.
In spite of this info, go with the PDrive as you will always wonder if it would have worked. I don’t think the performance will be a noticeable difference and you get bragging rights for doing this first! Go for it!
Also, on an 800 Etec, the Ecu only lets the engine rev up at a certain rate. If the revs rise too fast, like when a belt blows, the engine will cut out briefly. This can happen if there isn’t enough load on the motor. Not a big deal, but something to watch for.
Good luck and great thinking out of the box!

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Drop one or two teeth on the top gear. Zing zing!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
ok and whats the best ratio you would recommend and do u think its worth it to put a belt drive?
I sell belt drives so I am biased but side by side you can notice the quick response of the belt drive, if all other things are equal. The thing to think about is a well clutched sled with chain drive will still out-perform a poorly clutched sled with a belt drive. It is just common sense that a lighter driveline will spin up faster and easier than a heavier one. If you are running a heavy track that can hide the benefits. The biggest reasons I like my belt drive is simplicity, low maintenance and reliability while making working on it or gear changes easier.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
hello, im buying a 600rs p drive for my summit 16 and the clutch come with all the stuff it need to fit on a 800 etec and an dj clutch kit and all that for 1100$ cad. So my question is: Do u guys think its worth it? thanks in advance
The 600pdrive is a great primary clutch. Super easy to tune, almost all wear parts are available, except for the bushing in the bottom of the spider[unless yer in the race department, you can get one] other than that, all parts you can get and refurbish.
In the end, its the tuning parts "ramps, springs, helix, weight" that will make the sled perform how you want. I can tell you what to do for an 800 natural and turbo with a pdrive clutch. info at ibackshift dot calm.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Here is a post of an 800XM w/aerocharger on it and pdrive
2016 x 800XM w/Aero @ 5psi.
BRP 850 turbo ramps
pivot pin kit
Dalton 135/335 primary spring
Dalton yellow/orange secondary spring
One of my helixes.

There is some actual feedback.

Plus, I bet I was the first one to mount a Pdrive on an 800XM because I had one to mount on an 800XM Aero w/5psi before there was a 850 summit.
We used 951 ramps and an assortment of iBackshift parts; that sled is still going up and down the mountain and will be again this winter coming up.

To conclude a TRA is better than a pDrive....lets see some facts with personal first hand knowledge to prove that conclusion from a test framed to set out to do so and have results.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
BRP 850 turbo ramps
pivot pin kit
One of my helixes.

Plus, I bet I was the first one to mount a Pdrive on an 800XM because I had one to mount on an 800XM Aero w/5psi before there was a 850 summit.
We used 951 ramps and an assortment of iBackshift parts; that sled is still going up and down the mountain and will be again this winter coming up.

To conclude a TRA is better than a pDrive....lets see some facts with personal first hand knowledge to prove that conclusion from a test framed to set out to do so and have results.
Definitely not scientific or written down….2018 850 Doo with PDrive uphill against a test mule sled. Test mule and 850 PDrive dead even.
Put Tra7 on 850 and it beat test mule by 4 lengths.
I believe it was due to belt slippage on the 850 and I believe the slippage has been somewhat fixed on wobble clutch. Things seem to be lasting on 850’s now. Surprisingly, quite reliable for many sledders.
Good job dooo!

C
Apr 29, 2021
quebec
BRP 850 turbo ramps
pivot pin kit
One of my helixes.

So am I better to keep using my tra and install your kit on it, or installing a pdrive ? cause all I want is the best throttle response I can get out of it whitout going with a 872. And do you think an 850 p drive could fit on it ? Thanks for your advice

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Yer asking for the "silver bullet" for clutches. If I use "x" clutch, then its the best clutch for this or that. Yer asking the wrong guy because i'm gonna tell ya an answer you dont want to hear.

Previously I said "To conclude a TRA is better than a pDrive....lets see some facts with....etc etc...."
Pdrive vs TRA or the Cat hex or the PB80 or, or, or.....has the greatest ease of changing flyweight mass. I've been stuck up to my armpits and took that opportunity to change pivot bolt weight. Can't change flyweight mass as easy as a pdrive.

You can put a pdrive, p-85, comet, 1977 Acat hex, 1979 yamaha, a new yamaha, pb80 primary clutch mounted on the engine - me, I dont care. If throttle response is not satisfactory, then we need to know at what track speed and what engine speed this is happening at - and can change whatever setting in the clutch to make the throttle response satisfactory.

you can have a worn out p.o.s. secondary clutch on the sled. If the internals are competent [spring forces and helix angle(s)] to satisfy your objective, than it may eat the lunch of any flavor-of-the-week secondary clutch you have mounted on the sled. AND, eat the lunch of someone running a pdrive clutch that's using not-as competent secondary clutch guts.

if the only clutch you had to mount on the 872 carb or etec was an old Arctic cat hex clutch, and you say "want the best throttle response I can get out of it". Ok, then I would ask "are there tuning parts available for it, yes or no"
You say "yes there is"
I'll say "ok, lets tune".

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta

I do, I say go for it, They are both very good clutches, but I prefer the ease of tuning of the pDrive. Super easy and quick weight changes.

Premium Features