• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

On X Question

I

inspectorgadget

Sep 30, 2023
Maryland
Strangely there are multiple versions of this app which proves quite useful in the back country. Here is the question, is the Backcountry or Off-Road version better suited for sledding? What are peeps using?

Thanks in advance

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I’ve been using onX Hunt for many years as a backcountry hunter and I am an elite member of their team. Unfortunately onX Backcountry requires an entirely different membership and I’ve been talking to them about including it for Elite members but that’s never something that they ended up doing. Like onX Backcountry, and the features that it has for snowmobilers simply because it has some stuff regarding avalanche and terrain, as well as snow parks, and stuff like that that the hunt just isn’t suited for obviously.

I

inspectorgadget

Sep 30, 2023
Maryland
Well the On X tech rep recommended Off-Road to me. "The snow mode of the Offroad app provides the avalanche forecast, slope angle, and . . . " So now I have Elite Off-Road. Guess I need to review the differences between Back Country and Off-Road .

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well the On X tech rep recommended Off-Road to me. "The snow mode of the Offroad app provides the avalanche forecast, slope angle, and . . . " So now I have Elite Off-Road. Guess I need to review the differences between Back Country and Off-Road .
share what you find out.

I

inspectorgadget

Sep 30, 2023
Maryland
share what you find out.
Well there is clearly an ORV / snowmobile trail focus with "Snap to Trail" routing for one. Where I would guess there will be more ski runs and hiking trails in Backcountry. I've done a lot of Quebec trail riding, those trails all seem to be in the app - interesting. Even though Quebec has a very useful trail map app this would be a welcome addition to the arsenal.

Last edited:

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I have the off-road one and it has an orv and snowmobile tab. It will show all snowmobile trails.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Looks like it might be time for me to switch over.
Ya, me too. Just ticks me off to need to get ANOTHER elite membership for the “off-road” when I already pay for the “hunt”. For petes sake, they already have all my secret spots, where all my critters have been killed and you know that’s worth something.😜😝

I

inspectorgadget

Sep 30, 2023
Maryland
i'm not sure switching is worth the cost if you are already feeling like your getting a value out of Backcountry. Maybe switch when the subscription renews. It does seem to me that these various apps could be combined and still generate the same revenue stream via modes.

Neither touches much on sleds but the Backcountry video covers avalanche awareness. There does not seem to be a Masterclass dedicated to sledding.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Might just be a resource allocation issue.
Perhaps the revenue streams from each of the versions are issolated and allocated to that version.
Allowing paid subscription to drive version development, rather than selling one subscription and allowing users to jump back and forth??

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Howdy Ya’ll!

I’m working with onX on a possible discount code, no promises yet.

As for the differences in Backcountry and Offroad, here is what I was asked to mention.

“As far as the differences for Offroad vs BC right now, I do think that backcountry has edged out Offroad as far as avalanche planning tools. We are now getting the ATES (avalanche terrain exposure scale) layer rolled out for the most popular zones and will eventually have that data available for most areas. BC also has slope angle shading, slope aspect, avalanche incident report labels (shows where reported avalanche incidents have occured), which are all very useful for planning the safest routes as possible for the day. But it's not going t have the snowmobile trail data that Offroad has.”

He has reached out to the offroad teams to see when those layers will be rolled out and will let me know.

As for now, all of us snowest forum members should know that you can reach out to onX directly and they will be happy to provide them with free trials for both apps. Generally they will do free 7 day trials but those can always be extended if someone doesn't get a chance to use the products.

I’ll inform you on more information as I know.

I

inspectorgadget

Sep 30, 2023
Maryland
Really just needed to find this place

View attachment 414149
I'm sure this layer is available in Off-Road app version because I used it last year in the woods and see it now.

I wanted to take advantageof of the Christmas special for Elite for a low price which I activated online. it turns out I couldn't use the Elite credentials on my Off-Road app because I activated it for On-X Backcountry not realizing the distinction between the versions. On-X support offered to transfer the Elite credentials if I wanted and they told me that Off-Road Snow (sled icon) had good avalanche awareness tools. That's what prompted me I knew riders using both and wanted to know what the other advantages might be. As a trail sledder I would say Off-road takes the lead especially if you also do ORV in jeep or SXS, but if you are more a hiker and backcountry skier and sledder who doesn't ride groomed trail networks Backcountry is probably more useful. Seems to me these 2 could merge pretty easily but I obviously don't understand their backend/revenue process.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I'm sure this layer is available in Off-Road app version because I used it last year in the woods and see it now.

I wanted to take advantageof of the Christmas special for Elite for a low price which I activated online. it turns out I couldn't use the Elite credentials on my Off-Road app because I activated it for On-X Backcountry not realizing the distinction between the versions. On-X support offered to transfer the Elite credentials if I wanted and they told me that Off-Road Snow (sled icon) had good avalanche awareness tools. That's what prompted me I knew riders using both and wanted to know what the other advantages might be. As a trail sledder I would say Off-road takes the lead especially if you also do ORV in jeep or SXS, but if you are more a hiker and backcountry skier and sledder who doesn't ride groomed trail networks Backcountry is probably more useful. Seems to me these 2 could merge pretty easily but I obviously don't understand their backend/revenue process.
OnX Backcountry, OnX, Hunt and OnX off-road are three completely separate companies. That’s the reason that they don’t merge things from one app to the other because they have full engineering teams and fully staff each one as they are completely separate entities.

Premium Features