• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil air seperator relocation advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
So here is where I am looking at relocating the air oil separator, two questions for anyone who knows, Does the air oil separator tank need to be higher? and is this too close to the exhaust pipe. I will likely do a heat shield and or hard pipe on the upper tubes of the tank.

relocate.jpg

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
muffler clearance

I know this may not work for the suitcase mufflers but the race muffler gives me plenty of clearance for placing the tank here. also if you cant tell the top of the air oil tank is about even with the top of the oil tank.

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
Got a call from MPI

So I talked to MPI about this and he thought the plastic box is still too close to heat sources where I wanted to put it and that it is too low as the tank would likely fill when the oil warmed up in the main tank.

He also said that they are now in the process of making the fittings, and I think they have really listen to some suggestions by other people and have a fix that I am willing to give a shot.

Their fix is to plug the bottom of the tank line so that the line can not back fill from the tank. They are then going to run the drain line that comes out of the oil separator that use to run under the engine and into the bottom of the tank run to the inspection port instead of back to the oil tank.

Other than a roll over this should return the oil somewhere instead of the breather tube.

also he made it sound like the parts will be going out soon.

Tomkat700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2013
Pierce, Co
Is this going out like a service bulletin/recall? Just wondering if Matt gave you any idea of who is responsible for paying for this. I spoke with Yamaha corporate today and was told I was the first they have heard of having this issue.:der:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features