• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New track wrecked in less then an hour, arg.

R
Feb 27, 2017
My new 2.5" track showed up a week ago. Spent the last few days replacing a few parts and installed new track. Went for a ride today to test the new track and do some elk hunting. Well after a few miles and maybe an hour riding my day got cut short when the rail on the right side stabbed and broke 2 window bars. Worst part is I was in the bottom of first gear just creeping. Looks like the rear axle slipped and let the track get loose. Put the old 2" track on until I can get another 2.5.

Would anyone know of a decent repair or is it trash? The best part is the sticker with the barcode is still on it.

20200125_133753.jpg

T
Nov 4, 2018
That sucks, sorry to hear.

On the other hand, how did the 2.5 track feel? I'm considering doing the same thing to my 129. I just got in new axle blocks from MT because one failed on my last ride. Check that yours are okay, if you haven't already.

R
Feb 27, 2017
That sucks, sorry to hear.

On the other hand, how did the 2.5 track feel? I'm considering doing the same thing to my 129. I just got in new axle blocks from MT because one failed on my last ride. Check that yours are okay, if you haven't already.

It was definitely worth the purchase. I need to order some axle blocks was still running the little gas shocks.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Rider1999, Please edit your original post with some basic information. Like what year/make/model snowbike kit, what track, etc. Would be helpful/interesting information. Thanks.

Last edited:

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I had that happen on a TS with a yeti track. It tore the outside flat part of track out but didnt break the fiberglass rods. Yours looks worse. I would be tempted to add an antistab kit and try to run it. Worst case it ratchets or derails.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Rider1999, i would suggest eliminating those little gas shocks used for track tension. I eliminated them and used a bolt and nut with right size washers in slot in frt of axle shaft to hold track tension. That track had to be quite loose. If the rear slide bushing was worn, they only last a few hours, that also contributes to your issue. Was this a 120 or longer mototrax?

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
The axle blocks that replace the gas shocks is a must to keep proper tension. That along with the yoke in front of the "link" keep things aligned a bit better than stock. I did not have a derailment after changing to the upgraded parts.

After a season, I put a Timbersled 2.5 convex on my 120 Enduro and it made a big difference. Definitely worth the cost. Rode it for two seasons and upgraded to the Camso.

I
Nov 29, 2007
I went from the 2 inch track to the 2.5, and it was a night and day difference. Best thing I have done right next to using an Aero ski.

R
Feb 27, 2017
So I could not figure out how to update my original post. Thank you guys for all the ideas. The track was a 2.5" challenger hybrid.

The bike is a 2009 ktm 250sx. the kit is a 2017 mototrax 120 enduro.

I have most of the updates to the kit, minus the axle blocks. I do have the yoke up front and new rear slider bushing was installed when the track was Installed. I have also shortened the kit 1.25" inches by cutting down the slider blocks.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Well dang I do not see that on the mobile version. I will have to try from my computer. Thanks

To edit when on the Mobile version of the website, there are three dots and a picklist down arrow. Look for the " ... " in the same location as the "edit" button screenshot above (just right of the Report button). And note that the edit and delete options will only show on your poste; not on other's posts since you can only edit/delete your own post.

Last edited:
O
Feb 23, 2017
I had a 17 Moto trax 120 with all the upgrades with no complaints, then I bought timbersled raw, and realized how bad the Moto trax performed in the back country.

Premium Features