• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New poll for 2011 and 12 pro motor issues..

How Reliable is your 2011-12 Pro RMK?

• Total voters
Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Now I am just asking but....why would the cat numbers not be off by roughly the same percentage so in all honesty, a person could make an educated and some what backed up guess that you are twice as likely to have an engine related problem on a Polaris 800 than you are a Cat 800. I would believe both polls would be skewed to a similar extent...unless you are insinuating that more people hate Polaris than any other brand and they go out of there way to make Polaris look bad.

Not that Polaris can't do that on their own accord.

Good point...But when your the #1 mountain sled. Again I am not saying the CFI motor does not have issues, But to say with out a doubt that the CFI fails twice as much as the cat power plant based off this poll is not correct.

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Now I am just asking but....why would the cat numbers not be off by roughly the same percentage so in all honesty, a person could make an educated and some what backed up guess that you are twice as likely to have an engine related problem on a Polaris 800 than you are a Cat 800. I would believe both polls would be skewed to a similar extent...unless you are insinuating that more people hate Polaris than any other brand and they go out of there way to make Polaris look bad.

Not that Polaris can't do that on their own accord.

EXACTLY... Old Scud-doo

CFRfred if you should happen to get your wadded up panties out of your butt pull your head out as well. Here re-read, this may help address your misconception.

"the polls show the Poo is 2 times as likely to have an issue.
You can argue the validity of the data all day long however, the math is correct."

You are back and forth like a yo-yo but thank you for the big boy props while not answering any questions with your superior knowledge:face-icon-small-con

"Additionally, please help us all understand what the crap "this motor is a bit more susceptible to less knowledgeable users than its counter part" means exactly so I can stop "pretending to have it all figured out." No such magic is necessary with the Suzuki 800, not that you would know by your own admission...

Once again I use the word please when I ask that you share the knowledge you have gained through your experience so we all can fix the inferior reliability of the Polaris motor through your personal "steps to take to lesson (lessen) the risk"

Please further define this additional "responsibility" that the user gains by purchasing a Polaris 800 that is somehow above and beyond that of the buyer of the Cat 800 or Doo 800?"

I asked nicely, used please and eveything:baby:

Is it just too hard for you to hear that Polaris motors are not as reliable and the polls show this relationship, does that hurt your Polaris pride so much that you can't be objective about it... thanks for the entertainment.

Last edited:

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
EXACTLY... Old Scud-doo

CFRfred if you should happen to get your wadded up panties out of your butt pull your head out as well.

"the polls show the Poo is 2 times as likely to have an issue.
You can argue the validity of the data all day long however, the math is correct."

You are back and forth like a yo-yo but thank you for the big boy props while not answering any questions with your superior knowledge:face-icon-small-con

"Additionally, please help us all understand what the crap "this motor is a bit more susceptible to less knowledgeable users than its counter part" means exactly so I can stop "pretending to have it all figured out." No such magic is necessary with the Suzuki 800, not that you would know by your own admission...

Once again I use the word please when I ask that you share the knowledge you have gained through your experience so we all can fix the inferior reliability of the Polaris motor through your personal "steps to take to lesson (lessen) the risk"

Please further define this additional "responsibility" that the user gains by purchasing a Polaris 800 that is somehow above and beyond that of the buyer of the Cat 800 or Doo 800?"

I asked nicely, used please and eveything:baby:

Is it just too hard for you to hear that Polaris motors are not as reliable and the polls show this relationship, does that hurt your Polaris pride so much that you can't be objective about it... well, if nothing else, thanks for the entertainment.

Thanks for the kind words, I will leave you to your bitching and moaning. :baby::wave:

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Good point...But when your the #1 mountain sled. Again I am not saying the CFI motor does not have issues, But to say with out a doubt that the CFI fails twice as much as the cat power plant based off this poll is not correct.

Haha, who ever said without a doubt?

Please share with us what is correct!

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana

I never said without a doubt. The Pro is not the #1 mountain sled because of it's motor, it's the #1 mountain sled in spite of it's motor. Also, with it being #1 there should be more persons riding them so the sample should be more accurate...right? None of us work for Nielson (I don't think) or any other professional polling company but this poll is not skewed any worse on the Pro side than it is on the Cat side. Further more, I say WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR WHEN THE 2012'S HAVE MORE MILES ON THEM! The Cat poll included 3 model years and only 2 in the Pro forum. I predict that the 12% is going to be much higher next season. Now, statistically you could repoll and poll only those with 2011 Pro 800's and get a statistically close predictor of what you will see with the 2012 800's next season. Everyone was talking about how much better the CFI2 motor was in 2010-2011. It wasn't until a year later that most of the issues this motor is/was going to have, had surfaced. So.....give the 12's a year. So somebody could say, yes these numbers are not correct! They are skewed to the LOW side. It takes a year or roughly 1000 miles for the problems to show up. Remove the 12's and calculate.

I don't want to bicker with anyone and I agree that it is the #1 mountain sled. Just doesn't have a motor in which the reliability is on par with the competitions offerings. Best chassis available, hands down. However, motor reliability is back of the pack.

I snowchecked a 2013, just so everyone knows. I am not pi$$ing and moaning to bad mouth the sled. I love the chassis...but for $12k I had to remove my rose colored glasses to dig deep into my wallet.

Last edited:

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
I snowchecked a 2013, just so everyone knows. I am not pi$$ing and moaning to bad mouth the sled. I love the chassis...but for $12k I had to remove my rose colored glasses to dig deep into my wallet.

Well I hope the 13 runs strong for you.

FCR according to the poll you have not had a Pro motor go down. So why you slinging ****?

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Well I hope the 13 runs strong for you.

FCR according to the poll you have not had a Pro motor go down. So why you slinging ****?

First I'd like to say thank you for your 5 bad post ratings...and your pity as well:baby:

Again, if you would take your Polaris (insert appropriate color for your sled) bleeding heart off your sleeve for a moment and re-read all of my posts in this thread you just might realize I am not, nor was I ever, slinging mudd. I was using the poll numbers to illustrate the overall experience posted up here for everyone to see.
The numbers in the poll are very real. Are they "factual" evidence of the actual fail rate? HARDLY...

As Old Scud so aptly pointed out, the factors that cause the numbers to not be "facts" are as likely to skew the Cat poll as they are the Poo poll.
So IMO they can be used as a rough guide as to what the overall experience has been with the engines...

The numbers show that 12 sleds out of 100 having powerplant issues on the Poo and 6 sleds out of 100 on the Kitty Cat.
12 sleds in 100 twice as many than 6 in 100 and I have no idea why that is a point of contention with you? The numbers are right there for everyone to see.

I have asked what you think the numbers show and all I see is attitude.

And C'mon... No one should have to become "more knowledgeable" or have any "additional responsibility" or take any "additional steps" to increase the reliability of the motor to be at the level of it's competition after spending $12-13K. That should be the manufacturer's responsibility.

Does that mean I didn't turn up my oil ratio, heck no! I cranked it up almost immediately and threads like these help spread the word. I did not have to do anything to my Cat 800 engines and they are showing to be twice as reliable, get it?

I don't understand how pointing out the poll numbers and talking about my experience is somehow bitching and moaning or slinging mudd. I also don't really understand why it is getting you all kinds of fired up there Fred. There are guys in the Cats section notorious for the same kind of blind faith in their manufacturer as well. I think the challenge is to remain objective even when you hear/see things you don't like to see about your beloved favorite manufacturer.
I think it's great when people share what is good and bad with the sleds, it is one more piece to the puzzle helping me make a more informed decision when I spends my hard earned money!

Last edited:
O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
First I'd like to say thank you for your 5 bad post ratings...and your pity as well:baby:

Again, if you would take your Polaris (insert appropriate color for your sled) bleeding heart off your sleeve for a moment and re-read all of my posts in this thread you just might realize I am not, nor was I ever, slinging mudd. I was using the poll numbers to illustrate the overall experience posted up here for everyone to see.
The numbers in the poll are very real. Are they "factual" evidence of the actual fail rate? HARDLY...

As Old Scud so aptly pointed out, the factors that cause the numbers to not be "facts" are as likely to skew the Cat poll as they are the Poo poll.
So IMO they can be used as a rough guide as to what the overall experience has been with the engines...

The numbers show that 12 sleds out of 100 having powerplant issues on the Poo and 6 sleds out of 100 on the Kitty Cat.
12 sleds in 100 twice as many than 6 in 100 and I have no idea why that is a point of contention with you? The numbers are right there for everyone to see.

I have asked what you think the numbers show and all I see is attitude.

And C'mon... No one should have to become "more knowledgeable" or have any "additional responsibility" or take any "additional steps" to increase the reliability of the motor to be at the level of it's competition after spending $12-13K. That should be the manufacturer's responsibility.

Does that mean I didn't turn up my oil ratio, heck no! I cranked it up almost immediately and threads like these help spread the word. I did not have to do anything to my Cat 800 engines and they are showing to be twice as reliable, get it?

I don't understand how pointing out the poll numbers and talking about my experience is somehow bitching and moaning or slinging mudd. I also don't really understand why it is getting you all kinds of fired up there Fred. There are guys in the Cats section notorious for the same kind of blind faith in their manufacturer as well. I think the challenge is to remain objective even when you hear/see things you don't like to see about your beloved favorite manufacturer.
I think it's great when people share what is good and bad with the sleds, it is one more piece to the puzzle helping me make a more informed decision when I spends my hard earned money!

I have to say I can't figure out what you are trying to do. Do you think you have a better grasp on polling on Snowest than others? Do you think you are providing some kind of public service?? Are you a closet statistician? Are you trying to establish yourself on this site as someone who can rise above brand loyalty and see the real truth?? Your comments don't add up. Common sense would say that if you really believed what ever it is you are trying to say, you wouldn't own a PRO.

As for the poll.... I'm sure you will understand the following phrase, given your perceived greater understanding of such things... “garbage in, garbage out”.

I think given your strongly stated position, you should sell your PRO and stay in the Cat section where it would seem you would be more comfortable.

If I felt like the way you do about the PRO engine I wouldn't own one.
I think you have an agenda and because of that I don’t put any weight in your comments.

Count those stats!! LOL

Last edited:

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
I am not blind loyal to the problems with the CFI motor, I have made the expensive decision to upgrade to the PAR 910. Which by the way I can't wait till next season.

Like Oregon stated I just don't believe the poll numbers.

As far as taking extra precautions to limit failure ie: turning oil pump up, adding oil to fuel, and warming up before hammering on it, some people that own the Pro might not have done these things. This is what I was referring when I said unknowledgable owners.

Really FCR you just can't handle the fact that someone disagrees with you, so then you start twisting posts to serve your position. IMHO the posts I gave you negative rating on were no more than trolling and trying to bait into childish arguments, sorry not interested.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I am not blind loyal to the problems with the CFI motor, I have made the expensive decision to upgrade to the PAR 910. Which by the way I can't wait till next season.

Like Oregon stated I just don't believe the poll numbers.

As far as taking extra precautions to limit failure ie: turning oil pump up, adding oil to fuel, and warming up before hammering on it, some people that own the Pro might not have done these things. This is what I was referring when I said unknowledgable owners..

You answered a few of the questions...thanks! Should you have to dick with the oil pump or premix extra into a new sled to increase the reliabilty to a level of the competition? Again, I don't think so IMO. As far as not warming it up before hammering it, always a bad plan. The PAR looks sweet, I can't wait to hear how those turn out.

I would disagree with you patting yourself on the back for taking the high road on those posts Fred. Not true, but this has been entertaining.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I have to say I can't figure out what you are trying to do. Do you think you have a better grasp on polling on Snowest than others? Do you think you are providing some kind of public service?? Are you a closet statistician? Are you trying to establish yourself on this site as someone who can rise above brand loyalty and see the real truth?? Your comments don't add up. Common sense would say that if you really believed what ever it is you are trying to say, you wouldn't own a PRO.

As for the poll.... I'm sure you will understand the following phrase, given your perceived greater understanding of such things... “garbage in, garbage out”.

I think given your strongly stated position, you should sell your PRO and stay in the Cat section where it would seem you would be more comfortable.

If I felt like the way you do about the PRO engine I wouldn't own one.
I think you have an agenda and because of that I don’t put any weight in your comments.

Count those stats!! LOL

Wow there is so much wrong in that post, common sense would lead me to believe you haven't a clue about me Oregon. Not that it matters much as no one needs your permission to post what they want here. Sweet personal attacks from both you and CFRfred. That's the entertainment I refer to in this page of the thread. Those appear to be your response to posting a motor problem is still polling twice as likely on the Poo.

The only agenda I have is hoping with all my might that Polaris steps up the engine program before I buy another new one.

Why is it some of you guys are sooo sensitive when it comes to the numbers in the motor issue polls? It's the title of the thread!

Last edited:

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
You answered a few of the questions...thanks! Should you have to dick with the oil pump or premix extra into a new sled to increase the reliabilty to a level of the competition? Again, I don't think so IMO. As far as not warming it up before hammering it, always a bad plan. The PAR looks sweet, I can't wait to hear how those turn out.

I would disagree with you patting yourself on the back for taking the high road on those posts Fred. Not true, but this has been entertaining.

This is your opinion and your entitled to it.

S

Super Sled

Jul 10, 2009
Duluth, MN
Hey look guys, I'm not a Mod here but I'd say this thread needs to be moderated. This conversation is hardly staying within the bounds of being civil, in fact it's kinda gotten out of hand...... :face-icon-small-sho

Look, all the various polls existing here on SW "are what they are". To some they hold no merit, to others they hold a lot of merit, to others they may aid them to buy or sell sled, or help them in future purchasing decisions, others they are not helpful, and others even will be somewhere inbetween or take a different position entirely.

The point is everybody is going to extrapolate the meaning of each of the various polls differently. Once we all realize this, it's easier to understand why different people will take different positions based on the polls. That is human nature. And furthermore, people will then post their opinions here on SW.

It doesn't always mean they are here to be trolls or inflame passions in others (yes some are here for that, but not everyone), sometimes they are simply airing out their thoughts or frustrations.

Just my $.02 for whatever it truly is worth...... :face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
EXTRAPOLATE....that sounds painful. I'll pass. :face-icon-small-ton

I think he meant INTERPOLATE. That is less painful - it only involves one person. :face-icon-small-ton

"Figures don't lie!"

"Liars use figures!"

I can't wait for the movie to come out for this book of a thread...

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I think he meant INTERPOLATE. That is less painful - it only involves one person. :face-icon-small-ton

"Figures don't lie!"

"Liars use figures!"

I can't wait for the movie to come out for this book of a thread...

Doesn't hair grow in your palm or something like that if you interpolate?

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yeah-- Super Sled for moderator. Thanks for stepping in. FCR112 was getting pretty beat up. Two against one thats not fair.

Premium Features