• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need real WA State experience riding your Summit or PRO-RMK on trails (significantly)

L
Dec 8, 2013
West & East
Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone on here for all the feedback. It has greatly helped me narrow down my options and given me a lot of insight. I am realizing very quickly that alot of this really depends on the dealer.

I like Webb, just wish they had more of a selection, but Scott was a standup guy and very patient and knowledgeable. Went to Sportland twice now, but unfortunately both times all I get is short one word answers from Jeff. Just feel like he has his clientele and doesn't really need more. Remko at I90 was great and didn't try to oversell me anything and really helped me work through the wife's sled (pros & cons and even told me to stay away from the freeride). Lastly ended up spending a couple of hours with John at Pierre's in Kenmore and loved the fact that he didn't try to sell me anything and was extremely knowledge.

If the Backcountry X came in a 154, which is what I90 and Webbs recommended then I would probably go that route. John really thought the extra 0-2" width of the RMK assault would help and the chain-case vs belt drive and beefier A arms makes it a tad more forgiving.

All 3 suggested I wait for snow check to see what changes so looks like ill be hangin for a couple of weeks.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
From someone who's spent more than half my riding time over the last 13 years with my wife/kids, who started out riding in the backpack slings, years with a snow coach being towed, now to the kids riding their own sleds (mostly trails here in WA), I would NOT sacrifice the handling of a crossover sled with a wide ski stance because of the trail miles.
It's not like you're running the Soo 500 or Iron dog when you're out for a family ride, so who cares about stable in the turns. Powder sleds ride fine on the trails, and even better if you keep the sway bar, push the skis out to the wide position and tighten the front springs.
However, a wide front end, makes your new $12000 X over sled with the wide stance drive like a 1996 skidoo when side hilling.
My '12 Pro never would overheat or even get close, unless it was a super slow up hill tight trail where low rpms limited water flow and not going fast enough for the scratchers to kick anything up.
Get a dedicated powder sled to make the most of your "dad" days. It will do family trail duty just fine.

L
Dec 8, 2013
West & East
From someone who's spent more than half my riding time over the last 13 years with my wife/kids, who started out riding in the backpack slings, years with a snow coach being towed, now to the kids riding their own sleds (mostly trails here in WA), I would NOT sacrifice the handling of a crossover sled with a wide ski stance because of the trail miles.
It's not like you're running the Soo 500 or Iron dog when you're out for a family ride, so who cares about stable in the turns. Powder sleds ride fine on the trails, and even better if you keep the sway bar, push the skis out to the wide position and tighten the front springs.
However, a wide front end, makes your new $12000 X over sled with the wide stance drive like a 1996 skidoo when side hilling.
My '12 Pro never would overheat or even get close, unless it was a super slow up hill tight trail where low rpms limited water flow and not going fast enough for the scratchers to kick anything up.
Get a dedicated powder sled to make the most of your "dad" days. It will do family trail duty just fine.

Thanks AZ, i think im coming to that conclusion as well. I talked to John at Pierres quite a bit and went back again this morning. Im thinking maybe the RMK Assault might be the way to go. Same PRO RMK set up (less shocks, chaincase and A-Arms). The shocks on the assault are actually better as it has the Upgraded Walker evans piggyback shocks but with the needles. It has the chaincase rather than the belt drive, which i hear is a tad more forgiving but wont affect where i can go. The A-Arms are the last year Pro style so rather than 39.5-41.5" stance that the pro has, the assault is 41-43" wide and the A-Arms are a tad more stout but still the fail safe point. So basically the narrow point on an assault is .5" narrower than the wide setting on a PRO and if for some reason i need to i could up to an additional 1.5". I get the new style cast aluminum A-Arms on the pro are 1.5lbs lighter, but im not going to sweat 1.5lbs or cast vs tube when im adding the e start. Now the assault does not have a sway bar, but it is set up for it and sounds like it would be an Easy and cheap addition.

Now granted all this could change in two weeks depending on snow check, but after all the research i think ive come to the conclussion that you cant have it all. I need the mountain platform (RMK axys or Summit) and then try to do the best with that model.

Cant wait for snow check to see what happens.

Thanks for all the input. I really do apprecite it.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I had a 2012 Pro 163 and numerous Doos. Ride a Pro-Lite 900 cat with a 174"-3"track or an XM 163-3". I've had basically zero issues with the Doos and some issues with my Pro and LOTS with the Cat. For the kind of riding you are doing I'd get an XM with the 154 2.5" track. You'd pay proabably $8000 for a Super clean low miles sled that would be awesome for what you are doing. I always hedge a little for the worst conditions I'll face. My Pro did not ride well at all stock on the trails and I had over heating issues even with scratchers. The other sled I THINK you could find is an XM with a 146 2.5" track. Remember the Doo has a 16" track which has a lot of surface area on the snow compared to a 15" wide like the Pro or Cat. The build quality on the Doos and the ETEC engine are better by a decent margin over the Cat or Poo. The ride on the trail is a LOT better on the Doo than the Pp too stock to stock even tho the Pro has coil overs and the Doo those goofey looking square torsion springs. The great thing is you really can't miss. All the sleds you are considering are great sleds and it's just details and riding styles that really separate them. I'm stoked you are riding even tho you've gotten on in age and you are taking your son along. Good luck!

T
Feb 25, 2011
Ellensburg
You can't go wrong with an assault. Great on the trail and does good off trail too. The extra cooler is nice. I had VEI put an aftermarket one on the tunnel of my 15 pro to keep temps down when we had a bad snow year. The aluminum pro axys a arms fold like cardboard if you slightly hit something. I would set the ski stance at 41" or center and roll with it. No need for 43" unless you are racing on a track. The assault track is a little better for trails and harder pack snow as well.

Premium Features