• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Must have tools to carry on a RMK?

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Hey, I'll be picking up my first Polaris RMK Khaos next week and I'm trying to find a good tool kit to carry when going in the mountains. When I had a Doo Summit, I always had my BRP tool kit but I sold the kit with my sled.

What tools or toolkit do you guys carry on your RMKs? I'm running the Medium Burandt Bag so smaller form factor is best.

Thanks!

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
I used the Burandt tool kit and the Polaris tool kit as baselines. The stuff they both have is a necessity. There are also some examples where one uses a socket and the other uses a wrench, so up to you on which you prefer.

Thankfully haven't had to use it but I always keep a TSS Bypass plug.

Everything else is just stuff you probably already had in your toolkit like duct tape and steel stik

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
I used the Burandt tool kit and the Polaris tool kit as baselines. The stuff they both have is a necessity. There are also some examples where one uses a socket and the other uses a wrench, so up to you on which you prefer.

Thankfully haven't had to use it but I always keep a TSS Bypass plug.

Everything else is just stuff you probably already had in your toolkit like duct tape and steel stik
I'm check out the Burandt tool kit. TSS bypass plug will be installed on my to start where I run the Munster finger throttle! Thanks!

mjgiandalia

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 28, 2018
I keep a small set of 1/4” metric sockets, Allen/torx keys, zip ties, duct tape, utility knife with pliers and such. Oh and toilet paper.

brantd

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2010
hockey tape,its made for the cold temps,I've held a arms to spindles to get out with it,its grabs super well!

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Thanks folks for the info. Never owned a Poo before so I wasn't sure of the metric or SAE size nuts and bolts they have for even tightening the track.

I always carry the usually stuff in my backpack: radio, flashlight, folding saw, first aid kit, lighter, matches and fire starter, bivy bag, shovel, water, snacks, and garmin in reach.

As for the sled tunnel bag I carry: tool kit, duct tape, electrical tape, tow rope, folding saw, extra lighter, matches, and my gopro stuff.

Might be forgetting something..

M
Dec 4, 2010
This is what I bring along:
Tools:
  • Crescent wrench (stainless)
  • Needle Nose Vice Grips (Stainless)
  • Knife
  • Leatherman
  • Screwdriver + bits
  • Metric allen wrench kit
  • Socket kit with 1/4" extension and ratchet, 1/4 to 3/8 socket converter. T40 torx. 3/8" and 1/2" deep well, 8,10,12,13,15,16,17 mm sockets
  • Pick
  • Polaris multi tool torx/spark plug
  • Polaris secondary clutch tool for belt changeF10
Other stuff:
  1. Fire starter / wind proof matches
  2. Saw
  3. Rope 1/4" x 100ft braided
  4. Tow Strap
  5. Duct Tape
  6. 16 gauge stainless steel wire
  7. Zip ties.
  8. Headlamp with cold weather battery
  9. Spare plugs/ spare belt
  10. Safety blanket.
  11. First Aid Kit
  12. Metal cup (drinking variety)

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
This is what I bring along:
Tools:
  • Crescent wrench (stainless)
  • Needle Nose Vice Grips (Stainless)
  • Knife
  • Leatherman
  • Screwdriver + bits
  • Metric allen wrench kit
  • Socket kit with 1/4" extension and ratchet, 1/4 to 3/8 socket converter. T40 torx. 3/8" and 1/2" deep well, 8,10,12,13,15,16,17 mm sockets
  • Pick
  • Polaris multi tool torx/spark plug
  • Polaris secondary clutch tool for belt changeF10
Other stuff:
  1. Fire starter / wind proof matches
  2. Saw
  3. Rope 1/4" x 100ft braided
  4. Tow Strap
  5. Duct Tape
  6. 16 gauge stainless steel wire
  7. Zip ties.
  8. Headlamp with cold weather battery
  9. Spare plugs/ spare belt
  10. Safety blanket.
  11. First Aid Kit
  12. Metal cup (drinking variety)
Nice list

For SAE, I bring a 7/16" shorty box-end and an 1/8" allen for belt deflection, and a 3/8" socket for primary cover.

Most everything else I can think of is metric, curious where you use a 1/2" socket?

Premium Features