• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI or MCX 14+ boost.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I'm looking to get the new mountain sled next year and I want a good turbo system with at least 14lbs or more. I can't decided between MPI or MCX. I'm leaning toward a 270 MCX kit. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm assuming Yamaha next mountain sled will be a viper with a different name and a longer track. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I can only speak of the Mcx kit as I have no experience with the MPI.
I have had my MCX 270hp kit since Jan of 08 and it has been totally reliable. Over 4000 miles on it as of now.
Not one hiccup or problem with the kit IF I were to do another one it would most definitely be a Mcx kit !!!

B
Dec 18, 2007
There are definitely strength in numbers. At this point I believe MCX is approaching or surpassed the 5000th snowmobile turbo kit. This allows for a lot of learned lessons and improvements to be made over the years. It is not uncommon to see machines with over 10,000 turbocharged kms that still rip every day. We have an 06 apex in our group with an MCX rear mount approaching 28,000 kms at 290 hp on pump gas. The engine nor turbo system show any signs of wear. There are a lot of great kit manufacturers out there today but none with the track record.

Cheers!
LL

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Having built my sled from stock to oem turbo and then MPI Stage 1 I love working with the guys there!

Love my turbo and they were able to help me as I built the sled.

Great turbos, great company and great guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Nothing against MPI, they make a good product but I'd have to go with MCX 110% damn near bullet proof

prototype69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Belgrade,MT
MCX

MCX 270 all the way 3300 miles not one hiccup. One bad thing you will get bored when not riding because you don't have anything to tinker with so you can polish your tunnel and drink beer or go help your buddies fix there two smokes.:face-icon-small-ton

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Any pro MPI supporters out there. I'm really thinking of switching from MPI to MCX. I have a MPI turbo right now and love the power but I want more. I don't think MPI has a kit like MCX 270? Does anyone know if MPI offers such a kit. Thanks for the replies.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Any pro MPI supporters out there. I'm really thinking of switching from MPI to MCX. I have a MPI turbo right now and love the power but I want more. I don't think MPI has a kit like MCX 270? Does anyone know if MPI offers such a kit. Thanks for the replies.

If you already have our turbo kit then I can upgrade you to a 270 kit. Do you have a intercooler or the 180 non intercooled kit? We've always intended to offer the 270 kit but other projects have come up. I have a hand full of Mitsubishi 19T turbo's setting on the self right now. This is a pretty easy upgrade. Give me a call and lets talk about what we can put together for you.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Pro-MPI guy here -

I did the $1500 snow check on my 2012 and it has worked very well for me so far. I have the 180 kit - probably just going to stick with that for now.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Any pro MPI supporters out there. .
Oh Ya, there are plenty of us around.
I am deeply in the MPI camp, and the reason is that MPI is a major participant in our forums. Matt is online every single day always dropping in and participating in our threads. That means Tech Support is always available, and for "me" that is of utmost importance.

MCExpress makes a great product. No doubt about it.
You will find LOADS of users with their product.

I also think that MPI makes a pretty solid product as well, probably has something to do with Yamaha choosing them as their OEM supplier for both Turbo and Superchargers on their sleds...

If you are doing the install of the kit yourself, then MPI's presence here might make that install just a bit more friendly. If you are having your shop do it, then I would probably go with the one your shop techs are more familiar and comfortable with..

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Both kits are nice, but MCX's fuel controller is years ahead of what MPI offers. If your looking to run higher boost with a MPI kit be prepared to shell out more coin on a new fuel controller to get it to run as good as a MCX 270 kit.

If I were to choose between those two kits I'd go with MCX without thinking twice about it. My .02

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
If you already have our turbo kit then I can upgrade you to a 270 kit. Do you have a intercooler or the 180 non intercooled kit? We've always intended to offer the 270 kit but other projects have come up. I have a hand full of Mitsubishi 19T turbo's setting on the self right now. This is a pretty easy upgrade. Give me a call and lets talk about what we can put together for you.

I have an intercooler, head shim, fuel pump and volvo turbo. What else would I need to do? I was told by Outlaw that it would require a new turbo to get 14lbs. When I bought the kit I thought I was getting 14lb turbo kit that would put out 260HP.

It would be nice to have more power on my current sled but I'm really looking to have a well built kit on my next sled. It sounds like you intended to have a 270 kit but never got there?? What do you have planned for the next yamaha mountain sled?

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
I have an intercooler, head shim, fuel pump and volvo turbo. What else would I need to do? I was told by Outlaw that it would require a new turbo to get 14lbs. When I bought the kit I thought I was getting 14lb turbo kit that would put out 260HP.

It would be nice to have more power on my current sled but I'm really looking to have a well built kit on my next sled. It sounds like you intended to have a 270 kit but never got there?? What do you have planned for the next yamaha mountain sled?

Dustin at Outlaw was the only one to get a few of the big turbo kits. With the Viper coming onboard it has consumed a bunch of our time. With the Viper only being a short track this year our focus has been on the east coast. Our turbo kit on the Viper has been a HUGE hit back east and will be a HUGE hit out west when the time comes. I want to promote the bigger Nytro kit but haven't had time. You have a Mitsubishi turbo that is branded with a Volvo tag. The big turbo is also a Mitsubishi that is used on the Bentley Continental. The future of the mountain sled looks good!<O:p</O:p

Last edited:

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
Can't knock mpi for offering a well built kit for a much lower initial price then mcx. I bought my push kit for this very reason before mpi's kit was out. Mpi offers upgrades to take your power level where you want just like mcx. There are many options available for the fuel controller that are even better then what mcx has. It all comes down to money and what you want to accomplish.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Dustin at Outlaw was the only one to get a few of the big turbo kits. With the Viper coming onboard it has consumed a bunch of our time. With the Viper only being a short track this year our focus has been on the east coast. Our turbo kit on the Viper has been a HUGE hit back east and will be a HUGE hit out west when the time comes. I want to promote the bigger Nytro kit but haven't had time. You have a Mitsubishi turbo that is branded with a Volvo tag. The big turbo is also a Mitsubishi that is used on the Bentley Continental. The future of the mountain sled looks good! ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Matt,
When I first talked to you over the phone about building me a 260HP kit I was told it would and could be done. It took a very long time to get the kit. I understand you're busy with stuff, but I was put on the back burner. The snow was coming and I didn't have the kit so I called Mac and he made it happen. I think you left MPI for personal reason for a short time. Not sure on that. I finally got the kit and installed it. I later took it to Outlaw and that's when I found out it had the smaller turbo. 11lbs would be max on the turbo.
With that said I've been very happy with MPI products and service. I think MPI makes a very good product if not the best. I've purchased two supercharger and a turbo, and other stuff. I wouldn't have bought so much if I didn't like your product.
For my next sled I want a kit that is tested and proven with 14+lbs of boost. I want all the bugs worked out and not to be the person finding the bugs. I would really like a kit similar to MCX 270 kit that's made by MPI. If you have the kit ready I will buy one otherwise I will get a MCX. Tell Mac to focus more on sled and not cars.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Can't knock mpi for offering a well built kit for a much lower initial price then mcx. I bought my push kit for this very reason before mpi's kit was out. Mpi offers upgrades to take your power level where you want just like mcx. There are many options available for the fuel controller that are even better then what mcx has. It all comes down to money and what you want to accomplish.

I'm not against MPI. I love my s/c nytro, and the MPI 180 nytro I ride with is a blast. But a much lower initial price goes out the window when you have to drop 3-4 grand to make the kit work. I think MPI's fit and finish second to none. I love the billet parts they provide with there kits. But a Nytro with a bigger turbo, bigger injectors and a gems controller will never run day in day out with a MCX 270 kit......period! That's a fact.
Just look at the biggest proponent for MPI on his forum. Christopher. He has a MPI s/c on "nytrocity" with a psycho sled bridge fuel controller a psycho sled clutch kit and from the sound of it soon to be a psycho sled bov. The only thing left MPI is the hoses and mounting hardware...
Remember the original post asked MPI or MCX for 14+ psi of boost. To date MPI has never offered a 270 turbo kit and MCX has sold thousands of kits for over 5 years.....

Premium Features