• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moving TSS mount point to reduce leverage ARO

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
I liked TSS on my Mountain horse but on my newer ARO the kit has more leverage on the TSS shock so it moves too easily, even with 50 pumps past 400 psi (as high as I can estimate on the gauge). Has anybody come up with a practical way to move the mounting point on the kit rearward to reduce the leverage the kit has on the TSS shock?

C
Apr 22, 2019
I liked TSS on my Mountain horse but on my newer ARO the kit has more leverage on the TSS shock so it moves too easily, even with 50 pumps past 400 psi (as high as I can estimate on the gauge). Has anybody come up with a practical way to move the mounting point on the kit rearward to reduce the leverage the kit has on the TSS shock?

I believe that FOX does a re-valve mod that stiffens up the TSS. Not sure why Timbersled did not re-valve it when they changed the leverage ratio. I think it is called x-mod.

Chris

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
I believe that FOX does a re-valve mod that stiffens up the TSS. Not sure why Timbersled did not re-valve it when they changed the leverage ratio. I think it is called x-mod.

Chris
I've heard of that but it still doesn't compensate for the added leverage on the air spring.

C
Apr 22, 2019
I believe that they also reduce the volume of the air chamber...effectively making the air resistance ramp up faster.

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
I had my ARO TSS worked on by M9 suspension. He reduced the travel and increased valving. I run 300 psi and it uses 7/8” of travel ( I’m 200lbs geared up).

Very happy with the performance. It definitely helped with the leverage deficit.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Bend, what was the cost for M9 to do the mods? Sounds like a good alternative to the x-tune from a dealer. But that's 125 + tax if no damaged parts or services needed additionally.

E
Dec 19, 2007
So just curious if the aro tss ratio is inherently too soft, why don't they bend in the middle and wheelie like a riot? Is the front track shock just way too soft to carry the weight when the tss collapses ?

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
Bend, what was the cost for M9 to do the mods? Sounds like a good alternative to the x-tune from a dealer. But that's 125 + tax if no damaged parts or services needed additionally.
M9's website says $250 for a TSS revalve
So just curious if the aro tss ratio is inherently too soft, why don't they bend in the middle and wheelie like a riot? Is the front track shock just way too soft to carry the weight when the tss collapses ?

The only riot I've been around didn't wheelie, it just trenched.
The aro/tss bends in the middle and put a bunch of pressure on the front of the skid so the kit trenches.

I attempted to compensate for excessive TSS movement by stiffening up the rear spring preload so now I have a bunch of ski pressure.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
my riot will climb anything an ARO or mountain horse would have ever climbed and wheelies lightly... not crazy
A7300013-smaller.jpg

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
M9's website says $250 for a TSS revalve

The only riot I've been around didn't wheelie, it just trenched.
The aro/tss bends in the middle and put a bunch of pressure on the front of the skid so the kit trenches.

I attempted to compensate for excessive TSS movement by stiffening up the rear spring preload so now I have a bunch of ski pressure.

That is the wrong approach and will increase TSS movement. You just made the rear push harder, sooner on the TSS. 8.5 inches of spring on the rear. 8.25 on the front... crank the TSS upto 400psi and you need an x-tune to truly make it work properly.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Its easy to make a Riot wheelie or float. Whatever trips your trigger. I'm just wondering why similar feel can't be obtained with an aro and strut pressure changes. My guess is the front track spring on the aro can't carry the weight.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
The linkage based arm on the riot is why it does it. The skid works as one to tilt and allow the bike to lift while the skid stays level to the ground. The aro has two separate suspension arms that pull on each other rather lever against one and other.

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
That is the wrong approach and will increase TSS movement. You just made the rear push harder, sooner on the TSS. 8.5 inches of spring on the rear. 8.25 on the front... crank the TSS upto 400psi and you need an x-tune to truly make it work properly.
I tried cranking both the front and rear (separately, and both together) and cranking the rear is what made it trench less. I preferred the way the bike rode with less preload on the rear but the bike needs to not be stuck to ride so more preload it is.

Jumping on the pegs the TSS is compressing before the skid shocks.

Does anybody the Xtune specs, or even what shim stacks are stock in the TSS shock? I'm not going to send it out and I'd like to avoid disassembling the shock to see what stack is in it, order shims, reassemble so I can ride then disassemble to revalve again once shims arrive.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
I haven't split one open yet, want to... Valving is easy and these are simple units. I know they change the air chamber ramp on the xtune also. You shouldn't have any sag on the tss BTW. More air if you do

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
I haven't split one open yet, want to... Valving is easy and these are simple units. I know they change the air chamber ramp on the xtune also. You shouldn't have any sag on the tss BTW. More air if you do
I know I shouldn't have any sag, but it does even after I pumped it up till the needle wrapped around and hit the pin then added 50 more pumps.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Something must be wrong... Is your chain adjuster way out? Making the kit longer and giving it additional leverage?

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
Something must be wrong... Is your chain adjuster way out? Making the kit longer and giving it additional leverage?
No, it's most of the way forward.
I kept the TSS pumped up to 400 on my mountain horse.
Timbersled moving the pivot point forward put too much leverage on the shock for it to work properly.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
One of my riding friends had his TSS given the x tune, didn't solve any problems, was stiffer but not enough. You could add oil to your air sleeve to make it stiffer in the end of the stroke.

E
Dec 19, 2007
No easy way I can see to move the tss mount back farther on the aro.

Back in the bad old days I had the 120 sx with the linkage style 3rd shock I monkeyed around with the leverage ratio easily by drilling holes in different places on the link. I ended up liking less travel and more damping but then the plastic swingarm bushings wore out pretty quick so I just hard mounted it and decided the 3rd shock wasn't worth the hassle.

Premium Features