ARO S - Seat height

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Doing the shortening setup on my 500ktm with Riot.
Enduro engineering seat and 2.5" shorter forks ( done for dual sportr riding severals years back ),my ride height is right at 40". Thats shocks at full extension. I see a lot of 37 and 38" ride heights before shortening, on the three KTM snow bikes sitting around here 40" to 41". with aftermarket seats.

I put 1.3" spacers in my RIOT shocks, that does not lower the kit 3", but about 2.6", I still have to put the front end together to check all the final dimensions. If I recall TS says the s kits are 3" lower? not sure how they do that with 1" spacers in the shocks.

I like the looks of the track attack angle, however, 5 years ago we made suspension changes to see if a lower flatter approach on our kits was an advantage..........mmmmm, not so much. Didn't hurt us, but not worth the effort.

CB-BLR

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2019
I put 1.3" spacers in my RIOT shocks, that does not lower the kit 3", but about 2.6", I still have to put the front end together to check all the final dimensions. If I recall TS says the s kits are 3" lower? not sure how they do that with 1" spacers in the shocks.

The two S kits I have checked (mine and a buddies) were both right at 2.5" lower...don't know why Timbersled says 3 inches...unless they are suggesting raising the forks in the triple clamps or shortening the TSS on their demo bikes.

The new front S spindles are exactly 2.5 inches shorter.

I have not seen any setup instructions for a S kit.

Chris

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
My riding partner and I spent a good afternoon swapping bikes and riding in stiff crusty snow up into dense powder and some sketchy road the first two miles from the truck. Made some addjustments here and there. We had lowered both setups.

My Riot : I put 1.3 spacers in the shocks, added a .900 x .009 shim to the rebound side dampening, ported the pistons, put on a shorter spring in the rear.......had been running a 10" spring, now back to an 8" I had that shorter spring from some of last years experiments. Shorten my stock spindle 1" and slid my forks up in the triple clamps about an 1.5". So that about 2.250 lowered bike all the way around.
My seat height with an enduro engineering seat 37.9 ". Thats after repositioning my forks twice to a taller stance durning the ride.

Dan's ARO: I put in 1.3 spacers in the shocks/new floating pistons/schrader valve for nitrogen and added .900 x .010 shim on the rebound side, with a spring compressor he could just get the 8" springs on and ran them about 3 threads from all the way out/ if I
recall 225 springs from and rear. Slid his forks up in his triple clamps almost 2" total. Seat height with quite a big cushy aftermarket seat, 38.3 inches.

We swapped bikes all day. Both decided my forks need to be shoved back out, stopped and did that.... went .300 back down ,better for sure. better overall ride feel, did int change handling in the junk, but feels more secure..We bashed some hard drifts and old sled track up at 7000 ft. Dans comment on reaching the summit, best suspension yet for his ARO. Two things, springs with almost no preload/ then the added rebound dampening./piston porting. For my Riot, I can't at this point see a suspension down side. Now we wait for the deep stuff to see whats up there.

Both bikes : Lowered ride height, for sure more comfortable stopping on hard pack, we both can reach the ground........ok tippy toe, but all good.
Slow speed handling in the trees improves, noticeable. So seems like some headway in our bikes/kit development.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Another day of fooling and testing our bikes. Not that much snow, so might as well ride and test and compare.

1. with a couple of brand new bikes along, swapping around between 4 bikes, our two lowered KTM's fell way more comfortable to sit on, pull up on flat ground and not have to worry about tipping over.

2. the better agility of the lowered bikes noticable in slow tree riding .......for sure its a plus.

3. after testing and swapping and riding the worst junk roads at lower elevation, both my KTM 500 Riot and Dans KTM 450 ARO benefitted from shortening out fixed strut rods about an 1/8 of an inch.

4.after our shortening and adjusting and resetting spring rates we both agreed , best our KTM with TS kits have ever handled.
Closest we have ever felt our snow bikes ( after we have owned 5 different bike/kit combo) somewhat mimicked how our dirt bikes handle. Stuffing our snow bikes this afternoon hard in a bermed corner, pretty darn good, for us the best setup in 8 years.

Of course.................snow conditions can change everthing, but for today, that the report.

Premium Features