• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Manufacturers - I would buy THIS kind of Snowbike!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I tried snowbikes for two seasons in the winter of 2014-2016. While I loved the places you could go (deep ravines, sidehills, etc) but, I missed the ability to be able to lift the front tire whenever I needed to clear a snow covered log or whatever.

I had a piped 2010 KTM 530 XC-W with a 2013 Timbersled 136" kit. I was trying to keep the Timbersled kit up to date and the technology was advancing by leaps and bounds and my friends and family all still rode sleds so I ended up selling my snowbike. I figured if I really missed it, I would buy another one someday.

Then I saw these videos and realized that THIS is the answer to relatively low powered tractor like snowbikes. I can only imagine how fun a still lightweight 150 hp snowbike would be. Manufacturer's you knew there was potential in this market and this is where I feel the market is for a factory built snowbike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMG9JYD5isM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxAkE2Rw5kg

Thoughts?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’ve been having a lot of fun with an R6 / TS LT.

dd0e893b327afeae3d9ff29c892ac4a3.jpg

That said.
If a mfg made a ready to roll 120-150 hp setup I would be all over it. (Providing it wasn’t a boat anchor like the hawk)

CVT is definitely not a negative when you are talking overall performance.
(Loses some of the “bike” feel I suppose)

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
What happened to your chain cover?? Looks like it was hit by a Ray gun.

Anyway I would be totally in.

My 850 would make a great good patient for a hart transplant.

That Said a well balanced bike set up will lift the ski over a log easier than a CTV setup--I just want power.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I guess what peeks my interest the most is the actual sound of snowmobile engine on a single ski snowmobile. With the technology available today, what they could come up with could be amazing.

Yes, the CVT (Primary clutch on the end of the crank) on a parallel twin would make a power plant wide but, to think outside of the box, what if instead of a parallel twin, they designed a narrow opposed twin (a front and rear cylinder) or a high revving V twin with a center PTO where the engine is mounted one the right side of the bike frame and the clutch residing on the left side?

One of the older 440cc race engines would a kick in this kind of application as well. Maybe even mount a blower on it if you are really in the high county....

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Bad part is, there's really no movement on a factory snowbike.
Wonder what the numbers are bike kits vs sleds sold? And what would it take for a mfg to actually build one?
Love my snowbike, but,yeah, lightweight v twin, cvt, 100hp would be freakin awesome. Nevermind well over 100hp!
Dirtbike Based hasn't worked yet due to the stupid throttle on right, brake on left law to be a licensed snomachine.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
What happened to your chain cover?? Looks like it was hit by a Ray gun.

Anyway I would be totally in.

My 850 would make a great good patient for a hart transplant.

That Said a well balanced bike set up will lift the ski over a log easier than a CTV setup--I just want power.

Cut and welded a bevel in it for better leg clearance.

The R6 above has no problems lifting ski. ��

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
My main concerns with these design paths are the CVT and the width of the engine. And these are big negatives to me.

I agree. The with of the cvt is crazy and makes it a big no no for me. Even if it were super slim, the cvt is like having a sports car with an slow auto gearbox and that is also a big no no for me. An 800 2s with a gearbox though. Yes please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWVWaYAVn4M&t

//Rob

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Great video Robster! However, I would think we would still want a super lightweight yet powerful engine. This really moves us in the two stroke direction just due to the power to weight aspects.

Yes, there are two stroke engines with gear boxes and I suppose a Recluse style clutch could be employed but, I still like the use of CVT on snow vehicles for several reasons.

I don't have to worry about what gear I am in coming off a jump, the bike or sled coasts when I let off the throttle, I don't have to worry about losing momentum (the name of the game) when I have to pull in the clutch to downshift while climbing a hill, I don't have to worry about trying to shift as my shift lever is dug deeply into a sidehill of a mountain, etc.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Great video Robster! However, I would think we would still want a super lightweight yet powerful engine. This really moves us in the two stroke direction just due to the power to weight aspects.

Yes, there are two stroke engines with gear boxes and I suppose a Recluse style clutch could be employed but, I still like the use of CVT on snow vehicles for several reasons.

I don't have to worry about what gear I am in coming off a jump, the bike or sled coasts when I let off the throttle, I don't have to worry about losing momentum (the name of the game) when I have to pull in the clutch to downshift while climbing a hill, I don't have to worry about trying to shift as my shift lever is dug deeply into a sidehill of a mountain, etc.
thats all true but I just don’t like the disconnected feeling of the cvt vs a gearbox. Plus, a sled trans takes a lot of the hp away that we are fighting to keep. And the width also robs HP in deep snow. And the weight and inneficiency means more fuel carried and more weight. Pretty soon it’s goinf to feel like a sled. So then why not a streetbike engine at that point? With an auto clutch it’s basically like a cvt for the purposes that you’re quoting.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That would work! An automatic transmission like Honda's DCT would always ensure you were in the right gear. If given my choice, I would prefer a two stroke engine with a DCT like auto clutch to keep the weight down.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The gnarbike uses a kliktronic shifter.
(A cool grand for the asking anyone who wants electric shifting)

Regarding the gnarbike design.
I’m just unsure if it would even be possible to get one upright after tipping it over. (Cbr1k version)

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
That would work! An automatic transmission like Honda's DCT would always ensure you were in the right gear. If given my choice, I would prefer a two stroke engine with a DCT like aut clutch to keep the weight down.

Fyi the Africa twin honda 1000 DCT version weighs quite a bit more than the manual shift version.

So current “DCT” technology probably isn’t a lightweight option.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
The gnarbike uses a kliktronic shifter.
(A cool grand for the asking anyone who wants electric shifting)

Regarding the gnarbike design.
I’m just unsure if it would even be possible to get one upright after tipping it over. (Cbr1k version)

I have ridden it and the shifting is super quick.

To get it upright, do you think it would be much different from what you have built with the R6?

Gnar Bike also recently received a new Panthera engine and is currently building a chassis for it. Single cylinder - 2 stroke - 100 horsepower.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

To get it upright, do you think it would be much different from what you have built with the R6?

Gnar Bike also recently received a new Panthera engine and is currently building a chassis for it. Single cylinder - 2 stroke - 100 horsepower.

Center of gravity with that Cbr1k motor at handlebar height seems high?

I made the R6 engine as low as possible.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I just remembered another big down side to the typical sled cvt and that’s gyroscopic mass.
Mr sheetmetalfab can you comment on that factor?

The gyroscopic forces of the 800 twin mated to clutches is enormous.

(Think straight lines when on the throttle)

The R6 gyroscopic forces are almost nil. (Sportbikes have been battling this for a long time. )

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Is the panthera engine living up to the hype?
(Considering the BRC is rated in the mid 60’s for HP..........)

Premium Features