• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Delorme InReach

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looking for an alternative to SPOT
(because their service contract has become stupidly expensive)

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-explorer.php?gclid=CLifrPaP9NACFUGTfgodvp8Lig

inreach_explorer_info.jpg

inreach_complete_experience_large.jpg

Introducing inReach Explorer

The world's only truly global satellite communicator now has built-in navigation with waypoints and routing.

<table id="Table_01" width="290" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
inreachexplorer_m01.jpg

</td></tr><tr><td> <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" viewBox="0 0 32 32" class="at-icon at-icon-facebook" style="width: 16px; height: 16px;" title="Facebook"><g>
</br> </g></svg>

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" viewBox="0 0 32 32" class="at-icon at-icon-twitter" style="width: 16px; height: 16px;" title="Twitter"><g>
</br> </g></svg>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" viewBox="0 0 32 32" class="at-icon at-icon-email" style="width: 16px; height: 16px;" title="Email"><g><g fill-rule="evenodd"></g>
</br>
</br> </g></svg>

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Navigate, create waypoints, log your trip and find your way back. Send and receive text messages. Trigger an interactive SOS. Plan, track and share your journey. You can do all of this from one rugged handheld device with 100% global coverage from Iridium. You can also pair it with your mobile device to access topographic maps and U.S. NOAA charts.

<center>This item is eligible for free standard U.S. shipping.

</center> Regular Price: $379.95

It will get you anywhere you want to go. Even better, it will get you back.

<table id="Table_01" width="600" height="240" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"><tbody><tr> <td width="300" valign="top" height="100">
inreach_explorer_icon_01.gif
Create or view a route, drop waypoints, see your detailed GPS tracks, and navigate with the on-screen map view.</td> <td width="300" height="100">
inreach_explorer_icon_03.gif
Built-in digital compass provides heading and bearing information even when standing still.
</td></tr><tr><td width="300" height="120">
inreach_explorer_icon_02.gif
Plan your route(s) and waypoints ahead of time using the Explore portal and then share your journey with family and friends.</td> <td width="300" height="120">
messages_icon.gif
Send and receive 160-character text messages* with GPS coordinates to cell numbers or email addresses worldwide and post updates to social media.
</td></tr><tr><td width="300" height="80">
track_icon.gif
Adjustable tracking intervals from 10 minutes to 4 hours allow you to track your trip and share your location, including GPS coordinates, course elevation and speed.
</td> <td width="300" height="80">
sos_icon.gif
Trigger an SOS, receive a delivery confirmation, and communicate back and forth with our 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center.
</td></tr> </tbody></table>

Technical Specifications and Important Information

• Includes digital compass, barometric altimeter and accelerometer
  • Includes an odometer and displays useful trip statistics while in the field, such as trip time, max speed, moving average, trip distance
  • 100 hours of battery life in 10-minute tracking mode with a clear view to the sky. Extended tracking mode can extend battery life even more for long-haul trips.
  • Color screen and virtual keyboard with predictive text for standalone two-way messaging
  • GPS accuracy to +/- 5 meters
  • Water rating: IP67 (withstands incidental water exposure; tested for submersion at one meter for 30 minutes).
  • Rugged, dustproof and impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810G for shock; IP67 for dust).
  • Impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810G for shock)
  • Internal lithium polymer battery (2,450 mAh capacity at 3.7 V)
  • SOS messages are received by GEOS, a worldwide emergency response coordination center with 24/7/365 staffing
  • Weight: 6.7 ounces
  • Email, SOS and tracking functions work anywhere in the world; SMS availability may vary by country.
  • 100% global coverage via the Iridium satellite network, which is the world's furthest-reaching satellite communications network.
  • Maintains a satellite signal lock even in difficult GPS environments and embeds precise location coordinates in sent messages.
  • Pairs via Bluetooth with Apple iOS, Android, or Kindle Fire with bluetooth (smartphones and tablets)
  • A contract-free (minimum 30-day commitment) or annual satellite subscription plan is required for use; plans start at $11.95 per month. See plan details.)
Still need more info?
Download the full inReach Brochure with technical specifications for both inReach products.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

picture.php

The freedom to go anywhere has flexible plans to match.

DeLorme offers flexible plans ideal for year-round or monthly use. An active satellite subscription is required to use inReach, and we offer two categories of plans: annual 12-month contracts with lower monthly fees or freedom plans, which require only a 30-day commitment.

Freedom Monthly Plans
Our freedom plans allow you to pay for satellite airtime service when you need it on a monthly basis. You can change plans, up or down, or suspend your service at no charge.

• Ideal for seasonal or occasional use.
  • Move up or down a plan for free.
  • Suspend your service when you don't need it.
  • Keep all your account data, tracks and details when suspended.
  • Minimum 30-day commitment.
  • Annual freedom program fee of $24.95.
    See full plan details.
Annual Contract Plans
Our annual plans offer lower monthly fees and are ideal for people who either plan on using their inReach all year long, or who want the peace of mind of having a continuously active SOS device.

• Ideal for year-round use and peace of mind.
  • 12-month contract.
  • Lower monthly fees.
  • Move up a plan at any time for free.
  • Initial account activation fee of $19.95.
  • Move down a plan at any time for $24.95.
    See full plan details.

Text Messages - any that you send and receive using an inReach SE or via Earthmate on a companion device.

Preset Messages - short, commonly-used messages that are set up in your Explore account and pre-loaded to your inReach ahead of time.

Location Pings - when you provide a link to your MapShare page for others to view your location, they can also proactively "ping" your inReach to see your location between routine tracking intervals. This provides peace of mind to anyone wanting to get a location update from your inReach device without waiting on the next tracking update.

NOTE:
These plans are for individual consumers in the U.S. and EU only.
Subscription plan prices listed above do not include the federal Universal Service Fund Fee and any applicable state and local taxes.

Plan Details

Good to Know: Annual Plan

• When active, your subscription enables use of the explore.delorme.com and Iridium network communications and remote tracking anywhere in the world. It also includes the GEOS emergency monitoring service
  • An initial 12-month term commitment applies to all plans
  • There is an initial activation fee of $19.95 charged at the time the service is activated; activation fees do not recur monthly
  • Messaging/tracking usage charges are billed monthly. Text messaging fees apply to incoming and outgoing messages. Overage fees apply to usage that exceeds the text or tracking messages included in the plan, as outlined
  • Invoices are in electronic format only
  • Monthly service fees for all monthly-billed plans are billed 1 month in advance. Monthly-billed plans automatically renew month to month at the end of the initial 12-month term commitment, unless cancelled Monthly plans that are terminated prior to the end of the initial 12-month term commitment will be billed the equivalent of the service fees remaining in the term
  • You can switch plans at any time. There is no administration fee to switch between plans of the same or greater value; there is a $24.95 fee to downgrade your plans
Good to Know: Freedom Plan

Billing occurs monthly with all plans. These subscription plans are exclusively for U.S. and E.U. based activations by individual consumers. Overages are charged for any text message, tracking points, and location pings that exceed what the user’s plan allows.
Freedom plans require a minimum 30-day commitment and you can move freely up and down a plan at no charge. When going up a plan, a minimum of a 30-day commitment to the new plan is required. You can suspend your service on a monthly basis at no charge and still retain access to all your inReach data stored on the Explore portal. Your selected plan will auto-renew each month unless you make a change on your account in the Explore portal. There is an annual program fee of $24.95 to enroll in a Freedom plan.
Good to Know: Enterprise Plans

Enterprise/Professional -
For our Enterprise/Professional Customers DeLorme has created a set of tailorable subscription plans that align with various enterprise concepts of operations (CONOPs). These configurable plans allow our Enterprise Customers to develop the right plan for the right mission at the right price.

• Professional Back Office for managing Enterprise accounts
  • Configurable Features & Capabilities
For additional information contact contact.delorme.com for a quote and plan options.

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
This seems like the way to go at this point. My only decision is which model to get. I have read that compared to the Garmin's the GPS side of the Explorer is really lacking as far as features. So many have said this is not a great GPS replacement. I'm still tempted to buy the Explorer model as a back-up GPS to my Garmin Montana just to have it in case something happens in hopes that maybe down the line the GPS maps get better.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This seems like the way to go at this point. My only decision is which model to get. I have read that compared to the Garmin's the GPS side of the Explorer is really lacking as far as features. So many have said this is not a great GPS replacement. I'm still tempted to buy the Explorer model as a back-up GPS to my Garmin Montana just to have it in case something happens in hopes that maybe down the line the GPS maps get better.

So what is the GARMIN equivalent ?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
So what is the GARMIN equivalent ?

What? Garmin's equivalent is the Inreach since it's now owned by Garmin.

What I was referring to was the GPS Maps side of the Inreach Explorer device. If you read the reviews on the Explorer model the only real complaint is about it's lack of GPS mapping features when you compare it to the true handheld GPS device. So many are buying the SE model and still carrying a handheld full featured GPS device.

I would just rather not have to carry two units but I have yet to see a better option.

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
For someone like me that doesn't use it year around, this is looking like a pretty good option!

One things for sure, SPOT won't be getting any more of my money unless they offer it to me for $50 a year!! ;)

K
Nov 21, 2016
Cody, WY
I have the inReach with the freedom plan and use it to communicate with my wife and she can communicate back by text message. The downsides to this are you cannot download topo maps directly to the unit thus you have to use your phone with the earthmate app linked to the unit via Bluetooth to see topo. The map it shows is a grid screen with your way points and a green line showing your track. I carry a garmin 62s with my topo maps when hunting along with the inreach, when I'm sledding a just carry the inReach and mark my truck and trailer on the grid map it has. I know they (Delorme) have had a lot of requests for the unit to be able to put topo directly to the unit itself and they said MAYBE in the future it will be available.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have the inReach with the freedom plan and use it to communicate with my wife and she can communicate back by text message. The downsides to this are you cannot download topo maps directly to the unit thus you have to use your phone with the earthmate app linked to the unit via Bluetooth to see topo. The map it shows is a grid screen with your way points and a green line showing your track. I carry a garmin 62s with my topo maps when hunting along with the inreach, when I'm sledding a just carry the inReach and mark my truck and trailer on the grid map it has. I know they (Delorme) have had a lot of requests for the unit to be able to put topo directly to the unit itself and they said MAYBE in the future it will be available.

This is pretty much 100% a match to what I have seen in the reviews. Still sounds like the way to go even if you have to being the GPS with at times.

But a question. When you have the Topo Maps loaded to your phone does that then show your track on it also like the Inreach does? So at least you can pinpoint your location on the Topo map?

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I have had the SE for a couple of years now - I just do the basic plan and the bill is usually around 12.50 per month after taxes. Other in our group have SPOT and sattelite phones and this seems to be the sweet spot in between. Any two way communication is key - the phone is obviously the best, but this is a close second IMO.

The texting works great - 98% of the time we are of course just using the standard "free" messages anyway.

Also as discussed above I still carry my Garmin GPS because I like using the custom maps.

TK

Premium Features