• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

JACKSON: From CA thinking of coming out to snow king..

S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
Its been on the bucket list for as long as I can remember. Ive never raced rmsha before,what classes do they have for first timers? I am trying to get a small group to come with but even if I cant,this is the year. Any tips on where to stay would be greatly appreciated:rockon:

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
They have an Amateurs class that is REALLY big and REALLY competitive to qualify, but that's the easiest way for you to get a shot at racing to the top. Last year there were 50+ Amateurs and they qualify Top 5. Snow Devils should have their site updated within the next few months and they have the information and forms available. You have to qualify with enough points as a RMSHA member (Snow Devils run Jackson, not RMSHA), so you would have to hit the first few races before points cutoff and do considerably well to have a chance. RMSHA carries over points from races last year, so most racers have a head start vs. someone coming in brand new.

As for places to stay, I prefer anything within walking distance i.e. 5-6 blocks if possible. If you have a bunch of people going it wouldn't hurt to check out some homes that go up for rent that weekend. Probably cheaper and sleep more altogether vs. a bunch of hotel rooms. There's a few threads on here from the last couple years about where to stay, party places, etc... Just search for anything Jackson. First and foremost if you are planning on racing, GET TRACTION SCREWS before anything else. All the power in the world is no benefit when you are polishing the ice rink with rubber only on last few gates.

S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
Funny thing, I just tripped across a brand new box of traction screws in my shop like last week! Is the amateur class an rmsha class that needs to be qualified for at the first few races or a snow devils class that does not need prior race points to run? Also,is it a stock only class?

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Is the amateur class an rmsha class that needs to be qualified for at the first few races or a snow devils class that does not need prior race points to run? Also,is it a stock only class?

It is a Snow Devils class that is open to anyone 16+ yrs. old that HAS NOT been a RMSHA member for at least the last 5 years. You don't need to qualify at any other race to enter, just fill out the form from the Snow Devils website sometime prior to Jackson weekend I believe. Not sure if there is a cc limit, but I think it's a 'run what you brung' style format.

S

sykosledhead

Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WY
220 is correct.
Amateurs have classes just like semi-pro and pro. The website will explain them the best. I was in the masters’ amateurs (40+) a few years back and all they want is the required gear to wear, and a working tether. It’s a true open class. You will run against stock, improved and some mean mods. But in the end, it’s how you ride.

The bottom is a speed run with gates and some jumps. (look on YouTube ((search Jackson hilllcimbs)) and see the sizes). The top 5-6 riders’ race day two and that goes to the top for the finals.

220 is a dead on with the screws. But remember, when you put that kind of traction to the ground, you gotta tighten the dog snot outta your track. Learn from my mistake, take it out and run it some with the screws. Make sure it’s as tight as needed and no more. Listen for the ratchet.

One thing to remember about this hill is it's an intimidator. I have 5 deployments behind me; shot at, been too close to the bad guys and this kicked my butt like none other. You gotta focus on the prep time. Ride, ride and ride some more. Just my .02.
Look around on the rooms. We rented from motel 6 for years but not a walk-able location, but cheap. If your gunna race it won't matter because you'll need to be there early (races start at 0800) thur and fri and parking isn't a problem that early (we roll in around 0530). Sat and sun are the busiest and you just need to be early anyway for the race aspect. Walking is great if you can and don't bring a trailer/sled, plus we have a beer or two after the races. Perfect.
A large group is better to rent a condo together because isn’t a bit cheaper and we cook all our own meals. That makes it easy and cheaper. My wife makes lasagna to die for. With a beer and a heap of lasagna after a day of races, that’s vacation to me. And with my crew, it takes pans of lasagna.

Can I throw one idea out too? If and when you make the haul, you gotta get on the hill once to see the TRUE perspective. The video does this hill zero justice.

syko

S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
thanks both of you for the info! I was hoping it was a run what you brung style class. I ride a m1000 but the headlight delete and airframes ect would prolly keep me from the stock class. So the first day,the fastest 5-6 guys through the bottom race track part of the course get to take a shot at it the next day? I used so get sick to my stomach just pulling up to our local hillcimbs and ive watched this hill for years,its ruthless. I cant imagine the feeling looking up at her from the start gate:face-icon-small-con

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
That is all 2012 form information. Chances are it won't change much for next year, but keep an eye on things and if you need to clarify just email or call them. As for Stock..... ISR rules allow certain changes, i.e. shock valving, some clutching, gearing.... Not much can be done. Vent kits, air frames, and especially removing any OEM parts would push you out of a stock class. If you were over 40 and ran Non-Pro Masters you would be in like flynn.

S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
shoot. I was hoping theyd just have an amateurs mod class. If I was to come out for the first couple rmsha races,what class could I be in? what can be done in improved stock?

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
A 1000 with headlight delete, air frames, and venting would most likely put you in Semi-Pro Mod, or Pro Open Mod. Even for it to qualify as an Improved Stock sled you would have to get the headlight assembly back in and paneling without venting for sure. Most likely no air frames either. Improved Stock has to retain the appearance of a stock qualified sled, but has far less limitations as far as improvements to shocks, engine work, exhaust, fueling, etc... The appearance of the sled is the down fall in your situation I think. It would be best to just keep an eye on the new registration they put out for 2013 and definitely contact them to ask specifics. I must not have paid that good of attention this year, but they had 50+ entries in Amateurs and I swear there were many that were not in stock form. Maybe not full blown mods like Non-Pro Masters, but not all stock. The weekend was a bit of a blur though lol.

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
All the sleds in the amateurs class were stock, at least looked stock. Sleds that had vents kits on them were duct taped over. All had stock air intake, pipe, cans and Y pipes. There may have been a couple guys that did not fallow the rules but none were in the top 5.
If you start looking for the parts to put your sled back to stock now, by March you will have all the parts.

Last edited:
S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
Well that changes everything ha. I guess ill keep checking back with snow devils. Maybe this season ill do what I can to make the first couple races in semi pro open then next year,get a stock 800pc and try again,just so I can make more runs not just the one mod class. How are those first 2 races?

Premium Features