• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is the TS QDT worth it.

O

Oleshep

Mar 4, 2022
Denver CO
I have my kit setup and ready to go for the season and I would like to hear if others feel like the QDT upgrade is worth it? At almost $700 I am debating..

Thank you.

P
Nov 30, 2013
Well worth it. The whole skid just rolls better with it. I have a used QDT im selling with the double bearing if your interested. CDN$$$ so alot less than $700

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
It adds about 3/4"-1" of width. It drags worse when turning left in deep snow and can cause stucks. Other than that it's a negligible difference. My buddy went back to chain drive on his current kit.

A
Nov 14, 2017
I had the QDT and sold it and went to a chain. My reasoning was that I was just too paranoid about the belt blowing in the mountains and not having a spare. At that time you couldn't get a spare belt from TS.

Two of my buddies also got the new kit with a belt at the same time. They loooooove telling me how much more horsepower they have and according to them its kind of like unlocking nitrous... with turbos!!!

I have ridden their bikes back to back with mine and I can feel a difference - in the "slack". My chain seems to have a bit more slack in the driveline and a slightly less "connected" feel to it.

So there is a slight difference in feeling. It is very small and after riding for 1 kilometer you forgot all about it.

Think about the physics of what you are turning... a chain... to a small chain... to a giant track... which is pushing a 400lb snowbike... with a grown adult on it... through thick snow....

Add all that up and tell me that having slightly lower friction on that small chain point is going to magically unlock MORE POWER. Yeah... no.

I had the QDT and sold it and went to a chain. My reasoning was that I was just too paranoid about the belt blowing in the mountains and not having a spare. At that time you couldn't get a spare belt from TS.

Two of my buddies also got the new kit with a belt at the same time. They loooooove telling me how much more horsepower they have and according to them its kind of like unlocking nitrous... with turbos!!!

I have ridden their bikes back to back with mine and I can feel a difference - in the "slack". My chain seems to have a bit more slack in the driveline and a slightly less "connected" feel to it.

So there is a slight difference in feeling. It is very small and after riding for 1 kilometer you forgot all about it.

Think about the physics of what you are turning... a chain... to a small chain... to a giant track... which is pushing a 400lb snowbike... with a grown adult on it... through thick snow....

Add all that up and tell me that having slightly lower friction on that small chain point is going to magically unlock MORE POWER. Yeah... no.

Quoting this just so everyone reads it twice. lol

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
My Aero3 pro came with QDT. After a full season on it last year, I think I can comment.
There is no performance improvement. It seems reliable, so far, but I carry a spare belt,
which is really expensive. After the first 2 adjustments I never had to touch it again, and obviously
doesnt need lube. So I guess that is a small benefit, but not worth upgrading for.
Its interesting that belt drives are not used at the highest levels of motorcycle racing.
MotoGP bikes use every possible advantage for efficient power transmission and still use those
antiquated power robbing chains. Hmmm....... weird. Maybe the belt drive fans know something
those MotoGP bozos dont.
It seems that belt drives are most commonly seen on Harleys and other big low performance cruisers.
I hope I didnt hurt anyones feelings.
And I hope everyone has a safe and exciting season!

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
Well worth it. The whole skid just rolls better with it. I have a used QDT im selling with the double bearing if your interested. CDN$$$ so alot less than $700
I have a 2022 Riot 3S Pro that I installed a TKI Belt drive on. I previously had installed a TKI belt drive on my Skidoo 850 Summit X which previously had a chain drive which was constantly going out of adjustment. The belt TKI runs on the Timbersled belt drive is the same construction as the belts used on the sleds, in my case I had over 3,000 miles on the original belt and the sled was not stock.....the belts are tough. TKI belts are not as expensive as the Polaris belts.
I also have a secondary belt drive on my Harley, my Harley runs over 130 hp, on the first drive belt it lasted over 50,000 miles before I changed it out due to a rock that caused a small crack.
Belt drives or chain drives.....each to their own.....a belt drive won't out climb a chain nor will a chain out climb a belt, I chose a belt for endurance and piece of mind, one less thing to worry about on the hill.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Yes the belt should out last a chain by a huge margin as long as it doesn't get something jammed in it from having a cracked cover. Too much snow ingestion through a crack will break a belt though. And the belt cover is wider so it's more prone to getting cracks. The main chain will always need to be replaced so not much more work to replace both chains at the same time anyway.

Not sure about skidoo chains being problematic. Mine lasted forever (way longer than a crank shaft) and I adjusted once a season. I don't ride sleds anymore but when I did the Polaris rmk belts failed more than any chains I've ever used and I put over 3k a year in the mountains.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
For sure, a chain will chew up snow and ice all day long with no problems. A belt wont like that.
For that reason I threw a chaincase guard on right away. The other thing that will kill a belt is if it loses
tension. We saw a belt failure on a cmx last year because of a bearing failure. He had to get towed out.
I think if youre up on your maintenance you should be ok.
Im not totally down on belts. I have one on my Buell and it is perfect for that application.
Same story as Tchristie. Low horsepower, clean street environment, no problem.

P
Nov 30, 2013
It’s revealing when the only person promoting a product is also selling one. 😂
Equally revealing how little you know about driveline drag. Im not selling because I don't like it. I put the QDT on my 22 Riot 3 Pro and ran it for a full year loving every minute of it, Was a great improvement in many ways. Only selling because I have a 24 kit now that comes with it.

Odd that the #1 selling snowbike kit puts it on their premium snow check models. Its the same belt as a Polaris Boost sled so I don't see it being weak like the TKI unit was in the beginning.

Some people are happy just putting up the trail and taking a mid alpine shot for the Gram...the rest of us are looking to ride the ragged edge of performance and enjoy every minute of the journey/challenge

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Yes, Popik. That ragged edge of performance. Well said. That's something many of us definitely can't relate to. Putting around and photos for gram is totally where I'm at. Thanks for reminding me.

Premium Features