• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is Cat going to fix the M800's with belt problems?

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Welcome to the the last three really stressfull months of my life. Half the forums didnt bieleve me in the beginning... I garantee i can get on anyones sled and pull a nasty left handed carve melt there plastics and get there belts hot enough to blow.....

Because no dealers would help us we have ground off helix's that dealers wont take back. Cause all a sudden now the 42/40 is the helix to run!?!?!? So we get to buy a new helix. Which we wouldnt have had to grind if they cast them properly.....Or if any dealer was willing to do anything to help clutching. This whole scene is leaving a disgusted taste in my and several others mouths with cat, makes me wonder if some peoples oil lines really cought there sled on fire or if they just told ac to kiss my *** and lit it on fire.

So cat let me get this right i should just keep buying 083 belts and blowing them every 40 miles, no dealers do anything. You wont give me belts, then when i work on my clutches trying to ge better belt life, fix your engineering flaws with strap/ground helix. You voide my warranty and make me buy a helix...

Lovely... And yeah i wont be racing your sled cat, i cant its not reliable enough to void the warranty doing so.

Thanks for ruining my racing season.

Screams class action law suit with how many belts people are buying on these improperly designed sleds, soon as someone gets hurt blowing a new belt up. I can tell you if it blows up and totals my sled on a hill climb and hurts me in the process my lawyers getting a phone call.

-Aksnopro

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but here we go. I agree cat did miss the mark on some things on this sled that is for sure. Do I love the chassis yes, does the motor run strong yes. Will I sell for a loss and switch to a RMK and hope the motor hold up, No.
With the help of guys like Kelsey, Jkjasperson, White Rad I have not blown a belt yet. Is it running a little hotter than I would like yes. But gearing down and a team clutch will get her running cooler.
Should we have to no but I am willing to spend a little extra because I love this chassis.
Flame on:behindsofa:

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I've seen the cat guys ride... it's a sad sad thing.

Saw some of them at Grand lake one day, they never left the seat to climb a hill... we all sat there shaking our heads.

Honestly, it amazes me that they create the sled that they do, when they ignore CB enough that he leaves, and they obviously ignore Brett's advice...

They just don't get it.

BUT... the motor rips, and until POO changes, or Cat stops that tradition... I'll be riding a cat I guess!:face-icon-small-dis

What ever happened to their R&D at Island Park? That was supposed to be mountain riders developing mountain sleds, doesn't sound like it. It is hard to believe cat has not stepped up to the plate and said they know there are problems with some and are working on the solution. Snowmobiles blow belts occasionally and I can understand not covering every belt blow up, but these have went way beyond normal. Glad I did not pull the trigger on one. Some of you guys should file complaints to the attorney generals office of your state, that usually gets the attention of the manufacture.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but here we go. I agree cat did miss the mark on some things on this sled that is for sure. Do I love the chassis yes, does the motor run strong yes. Will I sell for a loss and switch to a RMK and hope the motor hold up, No.
With the help of guys like Kelsey, Jkjasperson, White Rad I have not blown a belt yet. Is it running a little hotter than I would like yes. But gearing down and a team clutch will get her running cooler.
Should we have to no but I am willing to spend a little extra because I love this chassis.
Flame on:behindsofa:

no reason to flame, i got a team secondary and mds weights on order soon as i findout the issue im just not spending 1k wondering if it will fix it.

i bought the sled for its claimed top speeds, to win me races, gearing down i minas well stayed with my 10M cause its bearly faster!

i find it funny how they completly bragged about the clutching too... improved belt life, then they dont last 50 miles. lol

if i switch to polaris it wont be because i want to, it will be because of how cat handled my situation, and warranty claims on a brand new machine. i know i can make it work and it will work eventually.

plus, a new motor that you have a local dealer that gets it done in less then a week is less an issue to me then a belt every ride that i pay for.....

-Aksnopro

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Yes I have, have won some state titles and made the hillclimbs several times. There is a reason that the HCR was the first M sled to get geared down.
Sorry guys back on topic.

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Ah so at arctic man hill cross your geared down sled will be faster then mine? I have probably seen you around green! :)

Im debating gearing down also, just not happy about it seems like everything cats promised was faulty!

Maybe my perception on gearing is all wrong, im no guru thats for sure.

I had the xf high country on order for even more track speed but changed to the hcr cause were having such a deeep year! Glad i did.

-Aksnopro

Last edited:

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
You can actually be faster gearing down if you can't pull the higher gearing efficiently. Sounds like the Pro Climb 8 can't. Read somewhere that in head to head pulls, 20 tooth proved to be quicker than 21 tooth. Probably a result of lower clutch temps, less slippage, efficiency items like that. Had a 94 Storm I had to re vent, re clutch, re gear, thing sure quit blowing belts and hauled the mail afterwards. Wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer didn't get the gearing right. They usually test by doing short pulls in spring/harder snow conditions, never duplicating 20 mile runs in deep powder WFO, up and down hills etc. Same old corporate B.S., the whole time, guys are bustin hump to get their sled to run. Aksnopro, try the gearing down, you might be surprised.:ranger:

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Seems like a no brainer if it helps belt temps with this setup.

Roger that!

one good thing about this sled is it has tought me a ton about clutching.

-Aksnopro

Last edited:

SledBC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 7, 2001
Kitimat, BC
www.sledbc.com
You can actually be faster gearing down if you can't pull the higher gearing efficiently. Sounds like the Pro Climb 8 can't. Read somewhere that in head to head pulls, 20 tooth proved to be quicker than 21 tooth. Probably a result of lower clutch temps, less slippage, efficiency items like that. Had a 94 Storm I had to re vent, re clutch, re gear, thing sure quit blowing belts and hauled the mail afterwards. Wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer didn't get the gearing right. They usually test by doing short pulls in spring/harder snow conditions, never duplicating 20 mile runs in deep powder WFO, up and down hills etc. Same old corporate B.S., the whole time, guys are bustin hump to get their sled to run. Aksnopro, try the gearing down, you might be surprised.:ranger:
Just an FYI, yesterday, my first ride with a 20 tooth top gear and I grenaded a belt worse than I ever have since I've been riding snowmobiles. 4' fresh, 8 miles from the truck.

H
Feb 13, 2009
Doo didn`t recall all the 08 XP`s for the drive shaft issue till the following year, hope Cat deosn`t wait that long but it`s a possiblilty.:face-icon-small-fro

Premium Features