• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is a 200 lb dry sled possible?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Nice, two ski's on a HAWK!

If you want to fix the track tightening issue contact Scram600/Scott on here, he is near Boise and a killer fabricator.

You can also use another fellow, Sledr2, he redesigned the trailing arms and has an assortment of rail extensions up to 174" I believe. What track u using?

Tell our forum what you have found out about that skid please? Where's the rest of that Hawk now?
Everybody has something to contribute.:)

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I honestly don't think any thing would be gained by dropping the sled weight. Everything that has been considered doesn't make it perform any better.

This is how I am looking at it (note im am using these numbers hypothetically):
160hp sled that weighs 500lbs has the same power to weight ratio as 80hp sled that weighs 250lbs.........so now u really don't gain anything. In my mind a one cylinder machine isn't going to do the trick.

These next figures are off of TracksUSA's website:
15x121x2 challenger track gives u a surface area of 1815 sq.in. and weighs in at 45 lbs, thus giving u .0247931 lbs/sq.in.
15x151x2 challenger track gives u a surface area of 2265 sq.in. and weighs in at 54lbs, thus givin u a .023841 lbs/sq.in.
What I conclude here is that just because u have less hp and can use a shorter track doesn't mean u have greater flotation....u would still be better off with a longer track.

Its almost like comparing apples to oranges. If u want a light weight sled that has a short track I think one would be better comparing a sled in that category and finding a way to make it lighter without comprimising performance. Same goes for a sled with a long track.

Just my thoughts....got a lot going thru my head how it may or may not be beneficial.

I'd take a lower powered sled that was lighter if it had an equal power to weight ratio to a heavier one. I know I can throw a 600 around easier than I can an 800, even though the weight difference between the two in identical chassis is not significant. There is more to an agile sled than just weight. A smaller motor has less gyroscopic effect on the chassis than a big motor.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
attachment.php

There it is! Ever since I started the thread I've been thinking about it. I believe the guy was Hardwood who built it? As I recall, he didn't keep it very long after he got it together. I seem to recall the there were issues with the manual transmission since a sled doesn't coast like a bike or quad, thus it was easy to stall.

It was a really cool build when he did it. I think it dates back maybe 5 years or more?

Funny to see 383's sled on here. I still remember the pics of him showing up at some ride after talking crap for months. The Snowester's at the ride gave him a clown suit to wear. The pics were pretty funny.

383 was right that a light sled performs well. It's just that his concept gave up too much to make it fun to ride, at least to me.

I think the idea of scaling the size off a Bravo would be a good start.

Last edited:
T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
383lb800's sled.
383lb800_07.jpg

383lb800_06.jpg

383lb800_04.jpg

He may be a bs'r, but I'll give it up. It takes a man to ride a sled like that. That hood is rediculous. The seat looks like it would smash your balls into powder.

Did he ever get his "elite boondockers only" ride organized?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Tell our forum what you have found out about that skid please? Where's the rest of that Hawk now?
Everybody has something to contribute.:)

Not a Hawk at all. Hardwood did build it, always good to see that pic surface every once in awhile.

Does anyone have a 70's race sled kicking around? I know some of those gott as light as 300lbs. i have a '78 250cc Super Mod that weighs 325lbs ready to race. Liquid cooled and all chromoly and titanium. Those are 3/4 size sleds easy. put a modern 600 liquid in there with a 141 A20 and aftermarket skid. Front end is IFS so easy to replicate and you don't have to loose ride quality. Under 400lbs wet weight would be amazing with 110hp(an extra 50-60 w/n2o). Even better would be to drop a BJ 600 BB in the sled. Fun factor would be through the roof!

Last edited:

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
iam friends with an older guy i ride with "konos2cycle" here in montana hes got a factory built titanium chassis from somebody like skiroulle or something of that nature, useing ti bolts and ti screws in the track everything was super lightweight, had a special track that had one layer of belting its an old ice drag race sled with a really rare 340 srx motor sporting huge ports,44mm carbs, custom twin pipes he claimed it made around 85hp clutchs engaged around 7500 and turned 14,000 his wife raced it and it ran 92mph in 500ft i know he said it was in 90+MPH area i beleive they won the champion ship iam not sure but hes still got the sled it sits under a toper at his place he fires it up every other year.

i know that sled is superlight not much for suspension tho

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
A sled being sub 300 would be an incredible challenge. Forget the 200# idea.
I think the helium thing would work:)
Air cooled would save a TON Those 485 phazers could put out I think 90 hp with pipes.
I remember the sled Hardwood built. It was a work of art for sure, but the drivetrain flaw was it's culprit.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
As I remember, the original Phazers was around 50 HP stock. I recall Yamaha offered a piston kit that boosted it to 56 for racing. I'd think a pipe would put it around 60. I don't think 90 is possible for a trail ridden motor. But, I think fan cooling has a lot going for it since it is inherently lighter.

Doesn't seem like there is much interest in considering a fan motor for a super lightweight sled. I think that is unfortunate. In my view, one way to obtain a super light sled is to make it minimalist. I'm thinking a 300lb 3/4 size sled with real suspension is totally doable without using any exotic materials.

Actually, I wonder how light the new fan cooled XP could be made if it was stripped of all non essential parts? The 550 might save 20 lbs over the 600 liquid motor including its cooling system?

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
As I remember, the original Phazers was around 50 HP stock. I recall Yamaha offered a piston kit that boosted it to 56 for racing. I'd think a pipe would put it around 60. I don't think 90 is possible for a trail ridden motor. But, I think fan cooling has a lot going for it since it is inherently lighter.

Doesn't seem like there is much interest in considering a fan motor for a super lightweight sled. I think that is unfortunate. In my view, one way to obtain a super light sled is to make it minimalist. I'm thinking a 300lb 3/4 size sled with real suspension is totally doable without using any exotic materials.

Actually, I wonder how light the new fan cooled XP could be made if it was stripped of all non essential parts? The 550 might save 20 lbs over the 600 liquid motor including its cooling system?

I think the Phazer was 56hp stock and close to 70 with small mods.

P3160001.jpg

This is my 360 lb Phazer and I can say it's really fun to ride, also it pulls really hard almost side by side with most 600 and some 700s. I think a fan cooled motor has enough power if the sled is light enough.

As far as needing a suspension, that's for trail riding and I don't know why one would need a lightweight sled for that.

T

tube

Dec 3, 2007
Stony plain
The lightest possible XP chassis sled I am pretty sure will be using carbon fiber from C3
http://www.c3powersports.com/store/...ath=74&zenid=f6c0386b382d5d776ba31a19155decce

Their max weight loss they gave at Hay Days was about 50 lbs. This was with carbon chassis with integrated gas tank (molded into top of tunnel) and their coolers and full carbon body panels. This is $8000 and change Canadian.
When you go in this far, Floats all the way around (maybe 4 - 8 lbs) and Alternative Impact TI front A-arms for (7 lbs) and his TI front arm in the skid is amazing light. Lose the oil injection for 10 lbs. Straightline Performance NEW carbon silencer only weighs about 2.5 lbs and is quiet. Sub 350 lbs would be easy with a 600 and I haven't figured the flotation on that weight for quite a while but if a 16 X 121 X 2 is available could lose even more weight and still guessing have flotation of stock 16 X 146.

Good Luck

....something like this??

Premium Features