• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQR mountain skid

Goinbyyabig

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2015
Hi guys, I have tried to search this and just don't seem to get the thread I need with some answers and opinions, so here goes. I am considering installing a 153 EZ Ride and a 2.25 track in one of my older IQR's. The skid I am considering is the older style, without the swivel arm like the new ones. I can't seem to find any real opinions on the skid; all the threads get into the kmod and t-sled, so I am concerned that maybe it's old technology or really heavy maybe??? I see that no one else seems to use the super long arm mounted to the rear of the rails, as well. Is this an issue? Thoughts/ opinions welcome.

I live in New York, and am new to this deep snow stuff, but it seems that every spring we get into breaking a few old mountain trails and the snow is 4-5 feet deep so I would like to have something more capable for these limited outings. Power will be a basically stock 800 mono, carbed, so probably 160 ish hp. Sled should be under 500 lbs dry, hopefully 475 or so. It will get a 36 or 39" front end as well.

As stated, just looking for thoughts and experience from others. Thanks!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
they are a a great skid, for pure mountain riding there are better options, but the mono arm has the ability to soak up hard hits like nuts, there is a reason most of the RMSHA mod sleds run them.

I have put a lot of miles on a 155 IQR with a carls 860 in it. 39" front end. Its a really fun sled to hammer the whooped out trail, bang up nasty hills and boondock. It also jumps like a dream. I would not hesitate to build one, especially if you have the parts just sitting around waiting.

Goinbyyabig

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2015
Thanks for the response, that's what I was hoping to buy. Bump performance and durability with a much longer track. I have the skid in route; now I am considering track choices. I would assume that a stiffer paddle will work better and be more durable than one with super flexible paddles and fingers. Looking at a Peak 2.5, 154 x 15 x 2.86, because of the paddle design and my use/ conditions. Any thoughts on the track choice? It will be ridden to and from the deep snow/mountain conditions.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i had an e-z ride on my dragon, excellent ride, loved it...problem was durability, with quickly worn our/damaged components that were expensive to replace...with only 500 miles of moderately hard usage, i had to replace several hundred dollars of components, i don't jump the sled, just the average trail/boondocking usage...don't think i'd buy another one....would probably try for reworked/modified stock shocks...:)

Goinbyyabig

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2015
Slyrydr, I'm interested in what you had fail. I have only read about the rear shock upper crossmember bending under hard use, and the fix is to duplicate it in steel. I was under the impression that this was the "tough one"; if you ride it hard it will take it. Whereas the lightening parts for a stock skid and the other whole mountain skids were for powder only and were therefore kinda fragile.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
They added some guides that seem to help reduce the wear on the bushings and slider mechanism.

Since it is such a long mono arm skid the rear bushings get blown out fairly fast due to the leverage. they started riveting some guides inside the rails to help hold everything straight and reduce fatigue on those parts.

Premium Features