• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

****in junk cat secondaries

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Mines a 13. Maybe this is my problem. It ate a team tied too

One would think yours would've snapped (shaft) or grenaded a chain by now, but maybe its still strong enough to only pull slightly toward the primary thus causing the seize to occur. Lots of great aftermarket shafts out there that have the beef to survive the tree pounding.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Cat shop thinks maybe reeds. I can't see it. 4 runs up a hill and sleds bogs bad might pull 6500 often less. Cool the secondary will snow until it's cold and the sled runs perfect , repeat like that for 3 days

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
What else could it be. Warm secondary = no back shift the hotter it got the lower the rpm was. Get the secondary cooled off and it ran perfect , same thing every day for three days. Did it to two secondaries

R
Feb 26, 2008
And letting everything else cool off as well. Could be fuel mapping, bad primary, limp mode, bad PCV.
Cats have a limp mode based on percentage of time wot and coolant temp. On days above 40, no matter how much snow there is, they can go into limp. They sound like they lose a cylinder and run very poorly

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I think the secondarys are balance terribly and there must be a huge production tolerance. Most secondary failures I have seen have been from the helix bolts sheering off.

Sh!t, my 15 m8000 blew a secondary at the 1000 mile mark this year. Took out a belt as well. Cat warrantied both. Wonder if problems persist if cat will eventually offer the Team clutch as an update bulletin

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Are you running the 83 belt, it takes a little longer to show. The dealer here replaced 50% of the secondarys.

I think its a combo of both clutches, I had a roller get just a little to loose and caused rpm drop, not as bad as the stock secondary but it did drop me a few hundred and I could not get it back until new primary.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I use the 84. I've inly blown one belt since 2012 but I ran the team tied until it started seizing up too. Must be something with this sled. The tied was on my 12 and never had a problem until I put it on this 13.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
put a shift kit in it $20

ganggreen sells them on here, or at least he used to, if u look in the M series archives, there are ac/delco part numbers that can be used

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Whats causing them to bind? the smaller center hub? I see WY has talked about having them machined but never talks about what the shop does.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Wow, this is all news to me!

I am a Proclimb newb but certainly not new to snowmobiling or clutching. I have a brand new 2015 M8000 sitting in my shop waiting to get on the snow for the first time this season. Now, I am learning the secondaries (at least a portion of them) are not up to the task? That creates a lot of questions for me.

Is there some preemptive action I should take before my sled ever hits the snow?

Is this Thunder Products Hercules Helix (linked above) worth considering?

Is there an aftermarket secondary spring with a high spring rate that would help with the back-shift issues?

Does running a 083 belt work better than running the stock 084 belt? Maybe a Dayco XTX. Or does the belt type not seem to make a difference?

How about the primary, is there anything to do before hitting the snow the first time?

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Wow, this is all news to me!

I am a Proclimb newb but certainly not new to snowmobiling or clutching. I have a brand new 2015 M8000 sitting in my shop waiting to get on the snow for the first time this season. Now, I am learning the secondaries (at least a portion of them) are not up to the task? That creates a lot of questions for me.

Is there some preemptive action I should take before my sled ever hits the snow?

Is this Thunder Products Hercules Helix (linked above) worth considering?

Is there an aftermarket secondary spring with a high spring rate that would help with the back-shift issues?

Does running a 083 belt work better than running the stock 084 belt? Maybe a Dayco XTX. Or does the belt type not seem to make a difference?

How about the primary, is there anything to do before hitting the snow the first time?

Don't even worry about it. The 14's and 15's have what is referred to as the big fin secondary. Way less problems with those.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah I dont touch a thing on the secondary in the 14 & 15s. They work well enough with no real backshift issues. We run straight 36deg helix up here. Secondary will last till you start seeing it drag down rpms. I even had a junk secondary that was brand new that came on my 15. Had it warrantied after the first ride. Only really noticed it cause I had another 15 to compare to and swap clutches back and forth with it.

Primary I just run cat weights with speedwerx 120/310 spring and a thunder products metal glide washer in cover under the spring. Wyoboy ran a 911 cover with good success on his last year. I ran mine stock. First thing to go in the primary will be a stuck roller which takes out a weight and binds up the clutch.

Premium Features