• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Multi use aluminum enclosed

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I'm looking to build a UTV / snowmobile three place then looking for ideas. I've never owned an enclosed trailer before so any opinions are welcomed. My current option is a Cargo Express aluminum deluxe 7.5x21 (16' box). Are they quality trailers? The plan is to have a front ramp, side door, fuel door, windows for ventilation and light.

The planned uses would be short trips from the cabin into the uintas (9 miles) for sledding, UTV/work trips (600 mi round trip) and hunting/possibly sleeping inside rough but maintained roads. Storage will be outside with 2-3' of snow commonly sitting on top in winter so, I'm thinking no rooftop vent?

Is a roof vent necessary?
Should I have insulated walls/top?

I currently don't plan on running a heater built in to the trailer but may run a portable if I sleep inside.

For 3 mountain sleds (155 slash, 2-163 std tunnel) facing opposite directions, will a 16' be too much box with a 5' V?

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Forgot to mention I'll be pulling with an f150 so I was thinking the 7.5' wide would be better but I'm open to the idea of more space in side and less wheel well of an 8.5

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
I ran 20’ x 8.5 haulmark for a few years bikes/sleds. Had a stubby V only about 2-3’ and it fit 3 165’s no problem and we even snuck a fourth in one time. No roof vent and no v nose door. I wouldn’t heat the inside without ventilation. If you get it going over 50 mph the snow will blow off the roof. Definitely a good option for a cheaper multi use trailer.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
In the same situation. Thinking about a side by side so looking for a trailer to haul sleds and it. Likely a trail model but not the really narrow one. How wide trailer do I need? Is a front ramp door even necessary for snowmobiles anymore? I have a 7x25 enclosed now.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
I use a 8.5’ x 24’ cargo trailer for both SXSs and sleds.

I have caliber glides and traction aides on floor for sleds.
I use superclamps attached to airline track for a bit of adjustability. very convenient.
I also use etrack for sxss and wheel nets So the floor is a bit “busy”. The etrack was done before I added sled capabilities. I would use only airline track if doing again.

The sxss are loaded “bumper to bumper” so wheel nets are the only way to go.
I have etrack on the walls for typical cargo trailer use. On long trips we use etrack brackets to build shelves over sleds for all the lightweight gear.

I’ve never owned a 7’ wide trailer. Because of wheel wells I load sleds staggered like a narrow trailer. It works but not ideal. Reversing out is doable but oft requires a reset of track to back out straight because you can’t steer w skis in glides.

i have a diesel heater. Finicky and unreliable. Not that effective without insulation.

My next trailer will be a trisport.
Insulation and LPG heater.
Rubber coin floor will negate caliber glides.
Recessed airline track in floor for both sleds and SXSs.
Roof vent a must.
Fuel station.
floor drains.

if you’d rather spend more in sweat equity a nice tri sport trailer can be be built for much less than the factory purpose built trailers. Especially post Covid.
I personally won’t be doing it again, however.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
In the same situation. Thinking about a side by side so looking for a trailer to haul sleds and it. Likely a trail model but not the really narrow one. How wide trailer do I need? Is a front ramp door even necessary for snowmobiles anymore? I have a 7x25 enclosed now.

For me the front ramp is a necessity due to where it'll be parked. That's part of my limitation since space is an issue. As it is ill be cutting down some a nice Aspen to get some space.20240224_163704.jpg

20240224_163713.jpg

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I use a 8.5’ x 24’ cargo trailer for both SXSs and sleds.

I have caliber glides and traction aides on floor for sleds.
I use superclamps attached to airline track for a bit of adjustability. very convenient.
I also use etrack for sxss and wheel nets So the floor is a bit “busy”. The etrack was done before I added sled capabilities. I would use only airline track if doing again.

The sxss are loaded “bumper to bumper” so wheel nets are the only way to go.
I have etrack on the walls for typical cargo trailer use. On long trips we use etrack brackets to build shelves over sleds for all the lightweight gear.

My next trailer will be a trisport.
Insulation and LPG heater.
Rubber coin floor will negate caliber glides.
Recessed airline track in floor for both sleds and SXSs.
Roof vent a must.
Fuel station.
floor drains.

The airline track with superclamp sounds great. One down each side of the floor. Nudo or rubber coin? Is either better than the other and can you go without ski guides or will they get torn up?

Will a roof vent leak over time?

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
The airline track with superclamp sounds great. One down each side of the floor. Nudo or rubber coin? Is either better than the other and can you go without ski guides or will they get torn up?

Will a roof vent leak over time?

I don’t know enough to speak to either floor option. i usually ditch carbides anyway.

all trailers eventually leak if not maintained. Vents are no exception. I just replaced a few in a 20 year old RV. the hardest part is getting up there.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I'm looking to build a UTV / snowmobile three place then looking for ideas. I've never owned an enclosed trailer before so any opinions are welcomed.
Highly recommend buy a reputable brand trailer. Thinking that you can engineer an equal one on your first attempt is foolish.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Highly recommend buy a reputable brand trailer. Thinking that you can engineer an equal one on your first attempt is foolish.

I'm not out in the backyard with a tig welder. This is what my current option is. They seem reputable but that's why I'm asking. The "build" part is in reference to the custom options. Not all are needed and just drive up the price. Some I'll likely wish I had if they get left out.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
I went with a NEO NMS mid deck 8.5x24 upgraded to 5200lb axles
Racedeck for the flooring with airline track and superclamps
Hold 2 crew cab RZR's
5 sleds easy
No insulation but run 1 diesel heater and will be adding a 2nd

I did flooring, cup holders, helmet rack, heater ect... i enjoy doing that work and saved money over a prebuilt trailer.
trailer rzr pic.jpgtrailer sled pic.jpgtrailer pic.jpg

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
Thanks!

Seems to be handling it well, haven't pulled any of the floor to clean it out yet. Have a cordless M18 leaf blower to blow it out with. I have the dovetail so water seems to drain out ok. Debating on if I want to add drain holes in the future. Potentially going to spray foam the floor

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I have the dovetail so water seems to drain out ok. Debating on if I want to add drain holes in the future. Potentially going to spray foam the floor

I hadn't thought about the water draining better with a beaver tail. I initially didn't want one because it'd be less flat floor to put a cot on if needed.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I also got a see a look/cargo express steel trailer on the lot. I hope that one was a one off, Friday build. Lots of missed screws, flooring laid horizontal in a patchwork already peeling up, bad caulking and generally poor finish work. I'll be looking at other builders in my area.

Also decided 8.5' width since most of the purpose is to store sleds and tow short trips.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Only difference in drainage between flat and beaver tail is slope you’re parked on, chances are you’re rarely level, or raise front to unhook so it all goes to back regardless.

awd95mn

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
I went with a NEO NMS mid deck 8.5x24 upgraded to 5200lb axles
Racedeck for the flooring with airline track and superclamps
Hold 2 crew cab RZR's
5 sleds easy
No insulation but run 1 diesel heater and will be adding a 2nd

I did flooring, cup holders, helmet rack, heater ect... i enjoy doing that work and saved money over a prebuilt trailer.

I've been looking for that same helmet rack. My buddy has the same one in his trailer and doesn't know anything about it because it came with the trailer. Do you by chance know the brand or where you got it from?

Premium Features