• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

****in junk cat secondaries

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I don't get out west much and the shiit cat secondary has ruined two trips now. I have gone thru three on my 13 that has naybe 700 miles on it. I brought 2 with me on this trip and they are both junk. 3-4 runs up the hill and they bind up and don't back shift. I cool it off and the sled runs great. I really love how my sled with the jaws runs. The performance is great. But if I can't find a fix or convince myself to try a 16 I maybe on a doo next

J
Nov 28, 2013
I hear ya man my 2013 hcr has destroyed three secondary's so far it don't go very far into the backcountry without a spare in the bag on my tunnel

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I have a spare. It's on now it's now junk. cat should provide a deal to upgrade from the garbage they sold us

Last edited:

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I keep hearing about this, but so far no one can tell me what is failing. What is wrong with them when you take them off? Bad bushings, rollers?

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
It's impossible to tell because when you get home and take it apart it's cooled and all freed up. It's once they get warm , not even hot, they bind up and won't back shift.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
I haven't had a problem with mine binding up but ruined my original one on my '12 when the helix bolts backed out and broke off. I've had this happen 2 more times on my big fin secondary but caught it before any damage happened. I'm running the orange secondary spring with an aftermarket 36-46 helix that has a slightly larger bushing surface than stock.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I'm still running the original primary with a thunder cover. One secondary has a dalton helix the other the gorilla helix from thunder. Neither will back shift once warmed up. At home on the flats they work fine due to no real loading of the secondary. Once in the hills they both puked out.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I'm running the 911 cover as well, and the mvms machined secondary. worked great until a primary roller started to go, then back to not pulling r's but still not as bad as the stock secondary. it would pull down r's to 72-7300. Something about the sheave angles and stiffer spring just doesn't work. in fact the 12 secondary worked better than the 14. but the 12 is a wabley pos

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Ever checked the run out on that jack shaft? I agree the secondaries are junk but there's a lot of guys running them and making them work on 300hp Turdbos. As for the bolts backing out, red Loctite the damn things in, the blue is not going to work in this instance. If you want to get it apart use a map torch. That MVM mod is twice as much as the secondary's cost, hard pill to swallow if yours is running cool with no problems. I had a guy here in MI balance my secondary and clearance it from day one and have never had a problem. There spring pockets are full of cheese and the bushings are always too tight. I would like to know why cutting the sheaves to a different angle creates a better shifting environment?? Sounds like the right idea but I'm a newb to clutching theory but am having fun with the learning.

Last edited:

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
The only reason they seem to work on turbos is don't have to worry about backshift as much.. the turbo will pull it. Have you guys tried some dry lubricant every ride? grafite or polishing the hub? Someone earlier in the year posted he was adding something to the hub and it was helping.

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
So is this the reason they puke out when climbing in the trees and burping the throttle. My 6000 does this a lot.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
I don't get out west much and the shiit cat secondary has ruined two trips now. I have gone thru three on my 13 that has naybe 700 miles on it. I brought 2 with me on this trip and they are both junk. 3-4 runs up the hill and they bind up and don't back shift. I cool it off and the sled runs great. I really love how my sled with the jaws runs. The performance is great. But if I can't find a fix or convince myself to try a 16 I maybe on a doo next
This will cure your problem, make me an offer.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389867

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
I've never had the run out checked. If it was out , other than vibrating , what would that cause to the secondary ?

Don't know what year your sled is but the first two model years of the proclimb had a lot of jack shafts that flexed under load. Once that happens your going to get seizures from the forces that aren't parallel in the system. A guy in Maine seen it first and started making HD jackshafts because of it. Don't think Cat addressed this issue whole heartedly until these 16s came out. Time will judge the new ones.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I hear ya man my 2013 hcr has destroyed three secondary's so far it don't go very far into the backcountry without a spare in the bag on my tunnel

Wow, really? You literally pack a spare secondary with you? That's insane. I'm a polaris guy and not here to talk crap, but I never knew Cat's clutches were that bad. I hope the Team clutches on the 16's are a big improvement.

I mean, Poo has a bad record with engines, but it isn't so bad that we have to pack a spare on the tunnel....yet :lol:

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Don't know what year your sled is but the first two model years of the proclimb had a lot of jack shafts that flexed under load. Once that happens your going to get seizures from the forces that aren't parallel in the system. A guy in Maine seen it first and started making HD jackshafts because of it. Don't think Cat addressed this issue whole heartedly until these 16s came out. Time will judge the new ones.

Mines a 13. Maybe this is my problem. It ate a team tied too

Premium Features