• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hyfax Rail Fastener

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Torque rate on the clutch bolt can vary enough to cause failure from lacking as well as too much to cause fatigue.

Do you realize the tiny window between snug and snapped on a screw that size?
Hint.
It’s small enough majority of screws don’t ever get torqued in any application.

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
I cant remember what it was. Like 10 or less? Something like that. It was not very tight. Like I said it was back when I picked it up. I can check and see when I get to shop, its written down on the wall. Also checked the tightness of the primary bolt. that hasnt flown off yet, but Im guessing it might once I get a few miles on it. Wished Id a never bought it. My 850 is fine, plenty of power for low elevation rider such as myself. Gave the 9r a year and figured Id try it. Oh well. Ill get it fixed and move on. Not going to bitch about it and im certainly not an sled engineer by any means, but common sense tells me its a pretty poor design. My guess is the guys that do nothing will eventually have an issue unless it wears it down on its own and they are lucky enough to have it not fly off? Ill put the ice age kit on it and hopefully move on.

Obvious sled in break in mode, and Im sure that has everything to do with it, but it wasnt jaw dropping pwer and honestly didnt feel any different from the 850. Im guessing it will wake up a little once broke in though. Hopefully the nit picky stuff is done and I can enjoy the sled. Im just going to check the Primary bolt everytime I ride it and hopefully it stays in place!!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Add another victim to the list. Torqued to spec's first ride ripped the left side hyfax out. Looked at it at lunch time, both hyfax in tact, 8 miles to truck hyfax gone and a little wear on the bend of the rail. Stopped at dealer, they said they havent heard of any issues. I just started to laugh. Ordered the supposed fix from Ice Age. The guys that have installed that are not having issues Im assuming? Are the guys that are just cutting or filing off the end of the hyfax having any issues? Is that working?
Hi fax! Bye fax! Haha

Last edited:

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
This will be lost in this thread most likely but I just torqued the hyfax bolts on the 24 Boost when it was new, ~1000 miles now and the hyfax look fine, just normal wear.

I think this is a little overblown. That said I ride almost zero trail where I live in Colorado so perhaps that helps.

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
This will be lost in this thread most likely but I just torqued the hyfax bolts on the 24 Boost when it was new, ~1000 miles now and the hyfax look fine, just normal wear.

I think this is a little overblown. That said I ride almost zero trail where I live in Colorado so perhaps that helps.

Glad to hear! Pro or khaos?

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010

Glad it hasn't been an issue for you, but I think you're the outlier in this scenario. It's not overblown, its an oversight on the '24 that needs to be addressed. Hope yours stays on for ya!
Curious what track are you running on yours?

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
Yep glad it worked out on yours, hope it keeps going that way for you. Im with Tdblakes, think this is more of an issue, polaris rails on back order or at least my dealer said that. Guessing the issue is a little bit more wide spread. Been riding sleds since late 70's and never had a runner blow off, Ive only been buying new sleds every year since 1993 and only Polaris since 2018. The 2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-2023 had no issues with Hyfax at least not mine anyway. Ill get the fix done when it shows up and move on.

Premium Features