• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How Much Longer Can The 800's Dominate

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
There is no denying that the 800 2 Strokes have had a long successful run in the mountains. But whats next ?..... In the past Doo had the RT1000 & Cat the KingCat....When will the factories introduce box stock 180 to 200 horsepower sleds non turbo sleds.

DPG

N
Sep 16, 2012
i would say poo is going the right direction, lighter weight needs less hp to get around. For the riding i do the current 800 does just fine, really don't want much more i already end up in places i don't want to come down from! Can't remember what the exact formula is but lets say poo does come out with 399 chassis, that would weigh more than 100 pounds less than my 07 M8 did. How many more hp per pound would that be, or how many hp would the M8 need to equal the same hp per pound?

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
2 threads about the same thing? I don't think the big companies can build the high horsepower lightweight machines people think they want for a price that's marketable to the masses.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
You'd hafta sell a lot of them, idk how many I guess but I'm sure a considerable amount to justify building the components for the package, especially a bigger engine, then time to retool an assembly line for a limited build. The price would have to be pretty extravagant or the wait for the machine would be extra long. You can't even order a new pickup in a color other than those in the brochure on the shelf until there are at least 25 on an order list to be built in that color of your choice. That's huge automotive manufacturers and $35K & up vehicles and they cant even make individual color preferences a viable option without circumstance.

What your talking about is basically what BDX and Crazy Mountain Xtreme already do and make available to you. The big companies can't build sleds like that and expect to see any profit.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Most of the big blocks introduced in the past came out with a bang and left with a whimper.

People thought they wanted it all but found out there is nothing for nothing in this world. Too much power, too much weight, not enough handling.
OEM's need to only look to their own sales and warranty #'s from past big blocks to see it's a pretty high risk to profit margin.

But,, 800's seem to be a good balance presently. Not too long ago it was 700's and before that it was 600's. So,, who knows?

D
Dec 24, 2007
Grand lake
these questions always baffle me. where are ya'll riding that 200 plus hp is needed? i get the my stick is bigger then yours game but. i dont think i NEED more then the 800 etec. if you can hold that puppy to the bars all day your either a pro or in much deeper a steeper then i've seen..:noidea:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
these questions always baffle me. where are ya'll riding that 200 plus hp is needed? i get the my stick is bigger then yours game but. i dont think i NEED more then the 800 etec. if you can hold that puppy to the bars all day your either a pro or in much deeper a steeper then i've seen..:noidea:

Elevation..

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail

I ride a 230HP 1100T at 10,000ft. Two stroke 800's have no chance of even riding in the same area when we get into deep powder. I've been witnessing it for the past three years. Still blows my mind but sure makes me smile.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
How many sledders ride at 10,000'?

I would guess more then you think. Pretty much all of Colorado riding areas are 10K or above and many of the places in Wyoming. Then add in the fact that many of the riders from the midwest states ride in CO&WY and the number adds up pretty quick. Eric

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
nothing near that on the whole west coast.

*ahem*

rode at 9000 to 10k all day this past saturday in tahoe. ;)

One of our best areas is 8-11.

But yeah......my sled is noticeably weaker there.

Last edited:
G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
Thousands and thousands of people ride between 9,000-12,000ft. That's pretty normal for out here and in deep powder, I'd take a heavier sled with 100 more HP than a lighter sled with 100 less HP. No question about it. On spring days or light snow days, I take out my two stroker. But that's happening less and less these days.

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
Do fourstrokes weigh less at 10k;) nothing near that on the whole west coast.

Yes they do. The air is thinner and therefore there is less resistance when lifting. My 1100t feels like a PRO at sea level when above tree line between 11-12,500'. Very flickable.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I hate to say it but EPA is going to kill 2-strokes in general. I would love to see a 900-1000cc two stroke that weights within 15 pounds of an 800 that is reliable though. I think that light weight 4-strokes turbos will be the way of the future for reliability and HP. I think a sled that weighs a realistic 450 dry would be ok too. I think that OEM may move to a smaller size cc 4-stoke and turbo it. What do you think a 850-950cc 4-stroke turbo would put out? 165-170 HP?

Premium Features