• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HMK Backpack gets 2 thumbs up! My review.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
kinda beatin a dead horse here but, the rei thing, try to buy somewhere else if you can. dont want to support the greenies.

But they also provide grants to the NW Avalanche Center that we all rely on (in WA and OR) for weather and avalance forecasts. Without funding we may loose our only source of mountain weather and snowpack. They provide grants to just as many organizations that don't have a "green" agenda. They are a co-op that is run to give back to the community, not to a greedy CEO and board members. To each his own, but they are a good company founded and run by people that love the outdoors. Some greenies, some great well rounded people.

This is the pack my wife uses: http://www.rei.com/product/772583. It's the best backcountry pack we've used yet. Perfect size, holds a shovel well, good pockets, and the hydration tube runs in an an insulated sleeve on the shoulder strap. Very well thought out pack. I'm hoping santa brings me one.

G
May 29, 2008
shadow of the cascades
I just bought the same pack last night. All blk though:) When i got it home i unloaded my old pack into it and found that i had lots of room left. I went through the shop looking for things to fill all the empty space,and still have room! Before seeing your list i thought i was packing too much... thanks:D

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
Holy cow, that's impressive. Your contents list is a great reference for anyone wondering what they may want to carry in their pack. Nice job.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Esbit Solid Fuel is an awesome fire starter and can be used for cooking in a pinch.

I saw something similar the other day, however they didn't have any directions to them... and so I wasn't sure EXACTLY how to use and didn't want to waist my money. Now that I know they can be lit with a match, sounds like a good thing to add. My firestarters had been in my pack for about 2 years and we tried to use them last April, they took FOREVER to get lit. Not sure if they were "old" or if they are always that difficult??

Thanks!

P

po4life

Aug 27, 2008
lakeville,MN
I drilled a 1/8" hole in my shovel handle and hook a tiny bungee cord from the mesh pocket of my pack to the hole in the shovel handle...never lost it since. I've had my pack for a few years so I'm not sure if these new ones still have the mesh pocket.

Have you ripped any of the mesh by doing that?

Premium Features