• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HMK Backpack gets 2 thumbs up! My review.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
First off, I have been using a Dakine Heli-pro for the past 3 winters and have loved it. But it isn't made with snowmobiling in mind. The HMK pack is most definitely made for the sledhead!

First impression - Looks: Well, I love that it has pink on it. A pink shovel that matches too! Thanks to HMK for thinking of us girls! The top handle is nicely constructed (sturdy) to hang on the hooks of our enclosed trailer, I don't worry about it ripping apart.

2nd impression - Filling the bugger up. It took all that I needed to put in it and left room for more. (see list below) It has many compartments and pockets to keep things separated, organized and in place.

3rd impression - Riding with it on. I never felt it there! It fits very well and comfortably. When I overheated and removed my coat I could feel the benefit of the padding on the back keeping it from laying flat on my back and allowing some air to move through there. Very nice!

We had a nasty trail ride home (10 miles??) and it did not wear me out. I have a messed up upper back/ shoulder/ neck area and usually by the end of the day I can really feel fatigue (onto spasms) in this region and did not with this pack!

4th impression - ease of use: Had to pull the old shovel out quite a few times (not for me!). It has a pouch on the back and allowed fast and easy access. Getting to other items with in the pack was made easier since everything has it's place. No having to rifle through stuff to get to stuff. lol

5th- HMK is to be commended for their great support: HMK is donating part of their proceeds from anything pink sold to the Pink Ribbon Riders. HMK is a great supporter of many riders and many causes. 2 thumbs up to them!

And while I'm making this post with women in mind (Xmas presents for your favorite sledchick guys!! hint hint), this packs is most definitely not made specifically for women! They have boy colors too! :p

Now, I am a taller chick so I realize that packs fit me better than the smaller framed gal. Here's a few comments from a couple other (smaller) sledchicks.

live2ride: I love my HMK pack!!! I have a much smaller torso than B, and still think it fits well. I have had a Camelbak, Polaris, Ortovox, and North Face back packs and the HMK is by far the best yet!!! The Polaris was the best out of my old packs. When I got my HMK last year I noticed the difference the first ride, I usually have the pack loaded with almost as much stuff as B, and it rests on my low low back/butt!!! The HMK sat way better than any of the other packs, my back did not hurt at all. I agree...way to go HMK!!!

Powdercurlgirl: No complaints from the Marmot either Man!!! Stellar Pack, I do really like how it rides off my back, I really don't know it is there, and it is stuffed to the gills. I do like it better than the TNA pack, but I'm sure that's just the pref thing, it just seems to adjust and sit better. And I must agree so nice to have the shovel right there handy!!!!!

Just for reference, here's what I have in my pack:
small first aid kit
gloves
goggles
handwarmers & bodywarmers
socks
HMK (PINK ) shovel
probe
Flagging tape
rope
duct tape
electrical tape
wire
mirror
whistle
compass
thermometer
some funky wire saw contraption
knife
flashlight
Fire starter firesticks
matches
flint just in case
snacks
Space Blanket (one small one big)
bivy sack for warmth (SnoJo's)
beanie
Chapstick
zipties
spare nut and bolt kit
Snobunjie folding saw
Rhino 530
rubber gloves
shop rag
spare goggle strap
spare quick strap parts
spare goggle lens
spare batteries
2 carabeeners and 40' of webbing

Last edited:

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
holly balls you must be a women. i don't pack that much for a whole weeks trip out west.LOL
hey coyotegirl don't you have a abs?

H
Nov 28, 2007
Stanwood
I bet I know who everyone goes to when they need something in your group:D I know how it goes. We seem to pack the work bench with us when we go.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
I got a buddy who once packed a 30 pack of Keystone in his backpack, but you got him beat hands down. That's awesome a pack that can carry that much stuff. All I ever carry is a shovel, probe, extra goggles & gloves.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I would like to get an ABS. I worry about it's capacity though. In the meantime I'm working hard to learn how to not get in those "need an ABS" situations. :)

It definitely sounds like a lot, but it isn't like I carry a whole roll of duct tape, a whole roll of electrical tape, etc etc. I don't think it weighs as much as a 30 pack of Keystone. ;)

I've been very close to staying the night on the mountain 3 times now, once we left the mountain after 1am. I've been in 2 avy recoveries, come across injuries, been involved in injuries, many break downs/ tow outs and been ok prepared but each time I've come away with something that needed to be added to my pack. This is a serious sport with very serious consequences.

There has been a few times where I've went through my pack and thought "Do I really need that?" and each time within a few rides time I needed that! It never fails.

C

CuzzinOlaf

Dec 12, 2007
I would like to get an ABS. I worry about it's capacity though. In the meantime I'm working hard to learn how to not get in those "need an ABS" situations. :)

It definitely sounds like a lot, but it isn't like I carry a whole roll of duct tape, a whole roll of electrical tape, etc etc. I don't think it weighs as much as a 30 pack of Keystone. ;)

I've been very close to staying the night on the mountain 3 times now, once we left the mountain after 1am. I've been in 2 avy recoveries, come across injuries, been involved in injuries, many break downs/ tow outs and been ok prepared but each time I've come away with something that needed to be added to my pack. This is a serious sport with very serious consequences.

There has been a few times where I've went through my pack and thought "Do I really need that?" and each time within a few rides time I needed that! It never fails.

My TNA Storm pack has more than double the space of the HMK. Imagine what else you could bring. :D

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
I bought this pack for my GF today and the shovel handle storage is the only thing I don't like.I think I might take it somewhere and have the velcro straps that hold the handle sewed together so they cant open up.Then the handle will slide in from the top and can't fall out.

Other than that it looks like a great pack.:)

F

freak58trio

Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Washington
When I saw how little of room there was in the ABS pack $ 990.00 seems a lot for only what they say 1 cubic ft. Had an HMK a few years ago but got destroyed in a wreck up till then it was the "cat's pajama's" .

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I bought this pack for my GF today and the shovel handle storage is the only thing I don't like.I think I might take it somewhere and have the velcro straps that hold the handle sewed together so they cant open up.Then the handle will slide in from the top and can't fall out.

Other than that it looks like a great pack.:)

That girl is getting spoiled! ;) :)

I wasn't sure about the strap system for the shovel handle either. I pulled the straps tight, then tried to jerk the handle out and it stayed put. So, I feel that as long as I remember to get those buggers tight it will stay. I guess time will tell.

I use to have a TNA and that is a fantastic pack as well! Another pack made by sledders for sledders! I just hated having to open my pack to get my shovel out!

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
I've got the same pack as you (minus the pink) and carry just as much......if not more:eek: Everybody calls me Mcgyver, but if we ever have to stay the night somewhere it's nice to be prepared.

Never had a problem with the shovel handle in three seasons with this pack. Like you said, just make sure you get the handle in there nice and tight.

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
i bought mine today, looks like a nice shovel compartment, but the poles(for the shovel) dont look like their gonna stay in their??? looks like it could come out. but it fits nice....thats for sure(and im big)

I
Nov 26, 2007
I drilled a 1/8" hole in my shovel handle and hook a tiny bungee cord from the mesh pocket of my pack to the hole in the shovel handle...never lost it since. I've had my pack for a few years so I'm not sure if these new ones still have the mesh pocket.

H

HalfwayM7

Nov 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA, for now
Thank You for the review...

I just bought that backpack, in Camo. I read where it was designed for snowmobilers and was hoping it would work as advertised when used. Your review tells me I made the right choice. Thanks again...

I was putting a list together, for the pack, and your list was spot on for things to carry as a just in case. I have been in a couple of spots where I wished I had some of those items on your list. Now that I know this pack will haul it, it is going in for my rides. I can tell you this, I would rather carry a little bit more then be sitting somewhere and WISHING I had it.

Great Post!!!!!!

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
Esbit Solid Fuel is an awesome fire starter and can be used for cooking in a pinch.

http://www.rei.com/product/653344

It is small, light, easy to start, and one tab can boil water. My wife is a sherpa too and always keeps it in her packs, year round.

kinda beatin a dead horse here but, the rei thing, try to buy somewhere else if you can. dont want to support the greenies.

on another note, for storing stuff in your pack as far as gloves,socks,extra shirts,etc, i like to use a food vacuum sealer. it reduces the amount of space taken up and guarantees that it will stay dry. also works with essential survival gear that you want to make sure will not get wet.(i bring the kitchen sink as well)

Last edited:
Z

zr600cce

Sep 20, 2008
Omaha, Ne
If your guys are having trouble with losing shovel handles. Black Diamond makes a shovel that the handle slides down inside the blade of the shovel. Works out real nice and you don't have to worry about losing the handle. It's called the deploy, and I recommend it.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/deploy.php

Premium Features