• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help weird noise

could that noise be the belt slipping on the secondary due to the shockwave? seems to happen both times as the trigger is applied under load. get yourself an infra red thermometer and check clutch temps. the hotter one is the slipping one. just a seat of the pants guess, but i bet you can feel a power loss when you hear the squeal.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Noises

Got a loose clamp on one of your intercooler hoses? sounds like a squeal of air leaking when the boost comes on. Maybe a small hole in a hose too.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
thats belt sounds if i ever hear it, gassing it into the carve is big load, and i know i had belt issues on my sled, and bad slipping sounded EXACTLY like that.

time to figure out a new clutching setup!

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Hey Greg,

Pull your intake to your turbo off and quickly check you impeller blades, make sure your bearings are ok and there is no play on the blades. I does sound like a belt to me but you never know.

Kevin

T

Tookes

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage
Hey Greg,

Pull your intake to your turbo off and quickly check you impeller blades, make sure your bearings are ok and there is no play on the blades. I does sound like a belt to me but you never know.

Kevin

Kevin, if it is the bearings can that just be changed out?

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
No sir, you would have to send in the turbo. There are a couple places to do so. They would just send you a rebuilt turbo. I think they charge you about $600. My buddy had to do this along with another fellow from Spokane. I can get the info if you need it.

Greg what tunnel are you running?

Kevin, if it is the bearings can that just be changed out?

Last edited:
T

Tookes

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage
No sir, you would have to send in the turbo. There are a couple places to do so. They would just send you a rebuilt turbo. I think they charge you about $600. My buddy had to do this along with another fellow from Spokane. I can get the info if you need it.

Greg what tunnel are you running?

I see. If it's the bearings wouldn't it make the noise constantly??

I'm running the stock tunnel.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Not always. Once it gets heated up and there is expansion there may be more noise and less clearance. I had the exact same noise. I run the VE tunnel with rear cooler delete kit. The VE plumbing kit runs right behind the secondary. A pin hole got rubbed into the pipe. Only under boost did it produce enough pressure to squirt radiator fluid out of that tiny tiny hole and of course it landed on my clutches. Caused a bad noise like yours.

I see. If it's the bearings wouldn't it make the noise constantly??

I'm running the stock tunnel.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Do you have a stiffer seconday spring you can try? Also, if you're running a shockwave, dial down the angle and see if it improves.

Definately sounds like the belt is slipping. If you run the same set-up again (with the same problem) try putting your hand on the seconday (careful - it's probably going to be hot). If your clutches are working well, they will feel warm, but you should be able to keep your hand on either one.

Secondary noticeably warmer than primary = secondary is slipping.
Primary noticeably warmer than seconday = primary is slipping.

T

Tookes

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage
Do you have a stiffer seconday spring you can try? Also, if you're running a shockwave, dial down the angle and see if it improves.

Definately sounds like the belt is slipping. If you run the same set-up again (with the same problem) try putting your hand on the seconday (careful - it's probably going to be hot). If your clutches are working well, they will feel warm, but you should be able to keep your hand on either one.

Secondary noticeably warmer than primary = secondary is slipping.
Primary noticeably warmer than seconday = primary is slipping.

I'm running the AC green secondary spring and it is stiff for sure.

Premium Features