• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help - Need Rectifier Bridge for Dc Power

B
Mar 16, 2011
Barrhead, Alberta
I am putting a BD turbo on my 2012 pro rmk, I am doing a headlight delete and want to run oil pump off AC headlight harness. I have read all I can find on posts and know I need a AC to DC convertor, but I cannot find One anywhere.
I am around edmonton, AB. I tried radio shack, Napa, online hobby stores, and looked on the Cyclops website and just cant seem to find it. a part number and local place would be the best as I need it ASAP. Need enough amps to run the oil pump. Thanks

bootz1981

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2008
zap, nd
Last edited:
C
Jul 30, 2011
Smithfield Ut
Make sure you get a regulator or else you can fry things. Did this to my sled today and after hooking up bridge rectifier I get up to 28 volts dc as I give it more throttle. That voltage will fry an afr gauge, I just found that out the hard way. Glad I didn't hook the oil pump to it.

C
Jul 30, 2011
Smithfield Ut
I haven't found a regulator yet, went to radio shack, they only had one with a max output of 1 amp. Western powersports has a universal rectifier/regulator, not sure if this will work? If anybody has a better suggestion please help? I don't want to learn anything else the hard way.

S
Sep 20, 2008
Make sure you get a regulator or else you can fry things. Did this to my sled today and after hooking up bridge rectifier I get up to 28 volts dc as I give it more throttle. That voltage will fry an afr gauge, I just found that out the hard way. Glad I didn't hook the oil pump to it.

Unless it was removed, you sled has an OEM voltage regulator that regulates the AC voltage. The regulator must be missing or fried if you are getting 28 vdc from the rectifier. Something doesn't sound right, all your lights should burn out if you are getting voltage that high. I have seen DC voltage from a rectifier as high as 16 or even 18 volts on a snowmobile, but if you are really getting 28v something is wrong.

Last edited:
C
Jul 30, 2011
Smithfield Ut
The voltage regulator for this part of the stator is for Ac. When you convert it you get the peak of the Ac. My headlights still work fine when I plug them in. I even tried this off of the Ac accessory plug below the handle bars. I am by no means an electrician or understand electricity, but I have talked to electricians and done as much reading as I can. This is what I have learned so far. I just trying to help people, so they don't make my mistake. I also learned that as soon as I plug a headlight in the voltage is fairly steady at 22-24 volts. Still higher than my afr or oil pump can take. I will still need a Dc regulator.

C
Jul 30, 2011
Smithfield Ut
Has anybody ran there oil pump and afr off the headlight Ac circuit? I know led lights work, there good up to 36 vdc, I also plugged mine in and they worked. I am just wondering if I am the only one having this issue.

S
Sep 20, 2008
The voltage regulator for this part of the stator is for Ac. When you convert it you get the peak of the Ac. My headlights still work fine when I plug them in. I even tried this off of the Ac accessory plug below the handle bars. I am by no means an electrician or understand electricity, but I have talked to electricians and done as much reading as I can. This is what I have learned so far. I just trying to help people, so they don't make my mistake. I also learned that as soon as I plug a headlight in the voltage is fairly steady at 22-24 volts. Still higher than my afr or oil pump can take. I will still need a Dc regulator.

I understand about peak and RMS, but something still doesn't sound right, never seen rectified voltage that high on a sled.

Last edited:

D-rail

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2008
Duluth, MN
I remember working on older British motorcycles back in the mid-'70's, Triumph/BSA/Norton and they had a zener diode. One main hot wire to it, bolted to the frame for the ground, and it was encased in a heat sink with aluminum fan blades outstretched from the center to absorb the heat, it was usually placed in the airstream behind the front wheel and underneath the headlight. The design was to have it bleed off excess voltage. Maybe something like this is still available?

This link shows the finned apparatus, the diode was not pictured, but might still be available. Either that, or find a diode that would fit.

http://www.nsamotorcycles.co.uk/97-...zener-diode-alloy-finned-heat-sink-1801-p.asp

Or find a regulator/rectifier from the factory and wire it in.

Last edited:
S
Sep 20, 2008
I understand about peak and RMS, but something still doesn't sound right, never seen rectified voltage that high on a sled.

I did a quick check with a rectifier and capacitor at idle, around 20 volts with zero load on the system, 12.5 volts DC with about 7 amps load on the rectifier. I wonder about adding a second OEM regulator with dc output and using that for extra dc power?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I need to put an led headlight on my wifes mod, it has no lights at all right now. It's running an ultra ignition, so if I wire in the rectifier bootz1981 showed us from hong kong to convert AC to DC and then run it through a voltage regulator that should work to run an led headlight? :noidea: Sorry to sidetrack the thread but I could use a little help here.Thanks guys.

vwsprite

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2008
mazama, wa
sounds to me like your bridge rectifier is kapoot, or you have not wired it right, the dc neg(-) CANNOT GO BACK TO FRAME, so you have tohave pos+ and neg- wires going from br.rec. to pump and hid(?)

B
Mar 16, 2011
Barrhead, Alberta
Premium Features