• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HEATING An Enclosed Trailer ???

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S
Jul 14, 2008
If someone was going to sleep in a trailer would one of the MR Heaters be ok? Its in an insulated trailer and just the front 10 foot LQ's section. I'm also putting a carbon monoxide sensor in there to. Any thoughts?

R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
i depends on which type of mr heater like on that screws to the top of the propane bottle would probably not be a good choice to use for sleeping. Do to them flaring up and that sort of stuff, but would work good for just heating your trailer to take the chill off while you are aound it

Nov 29, 2007
SW, MT
I have also been looking at the ProCom & Mr. Heater wall mount vent free heaters. Here are my questions for you guys who already purchased the ProCom: which model did you purchase? I was looking at: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332747_200332747 but noticed that is says will not work above 5,000' elev?? So then i looked at this one: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200362127_200362127 but it says it must be operated w/a 100 lbs propane tank. I want to mount an rv tank under the trailer and so far the largest one i can find is 30 some gallons.

What's your experience w/these. The elevation that the heater will be used it is typically higher than 5,000'. What kind of propane tank setups are you guys operating these on and how long are they lasting? Thought about puttign one on the tongue of the trailer, but i don't think their is room on the tongue of my trailer. Thanks for your help!

P

pullhardr

Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, WY
I have also been looking at the ProCom & Mr. Heater wall mount vent free heaters. Here are my questions for you guys who already purchased the ProCom: which model did you purchase? I was looking at: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332747_200332747 but noticed that is says will not work above 5,000' elev?? So then i looked at this one: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200362127_200362127 but it says it must be operated w/a 100 lbs propane tank. I want to mount an rv tank under the trailer and so far the largest one i can find is 30 some gallons.

What's your experience w/these. The elevation that the heater will be used it is typically higher than 5,000'. What kind of propane tank setups are you guys operating these on and how long are they lasting? Thought about puttign one on the tongue of the trailer, but i don't think their is room on the tongue of my trailer. Thanks for your help!

I can't speak for everyone but the procom blue with the 5000ft limit seems to work just fine at any parking lot I've been to in Wyoming 7500ft +.:beer;

P

pullhardr

Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, WY
If someone was going to sleep in a trailer would one of the MR Heaters be ok? Its in an insulated trailer and just the front 10 foot LQ's section. I'm also putting a carbon monoxide sensor in there to. Any thoughts?

IMO!! If you are going to use your trailer for sleeping, ALLWAYS use a forced air furnace that vents outside!! I believe that RISKIT started this thread to warm a trailer!! IMO there is not a safe way to sleep with any gas venting into a closed space. But of course, you could always start a campfire and use the rocks as a pillow.;):beer;:beer;

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
am thinkin of installing a blue flame ventless propane heater in my enclosed trailer, after following this thread for a while i am wondering ,even though my trailer has 2 fresh air vents in it, will it work safely while parked,to run this heater to heat the trailer with my sled inside the trailer...2nd ?, why is a forced air furnace(propane ) not suceptable to iginiting gas fumes(precious sled) in the trailer,even though there is a flame present in the burner...is it is because the furnace is vented???

Your Crazy to even think of this.. you will go boom! The flame is exposed to fumes and the forced style is indirect heat...

MD

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
I can't speak for everyone but the procom blue with the 5000ft limit seems to work just fine at any parking lot I've been to in Wyoming 7500ft +.:beer;

Mine here @7,500' in Wyomings Parking lot's doesn't work and Pro com advised me about it shutting down @ over 5,000'...
It operates but not for a extended period... the ODS shut;s it down ....So I put it in my Garage @ 6,700' and she warms up a 3 stall garage tosty!!!!

Like I said before I run the Ranni-- Way better and HOTTER than the blue flame style......just likn the forced better to dry my things and not have a saunna like the vent free direct heat styles do ( Ranni and the Pro crom) The direct heat is faster to get dressed by.

MD

Last edited:
G
Nov 6, 2008
Mine here @7,500' in Wyomings Parking lot's doesn't work and Pro com advised me about it shutting down @ over 5,000'...
It operates but not for a extended period... the ODS shut;s it down ....So I put it in my Garage @ 6,700' and she warms up a 3 stall garage tosty!!!!

Like I said before I run the Ranni-- Way better and HOTTER than the blue flame style......just likn the forced better to dry my things and not have a saunna like the vent free direct heat styles do ( Ranni and the Pro crom) The direct heat is faster to get dressed by.

MD

What Ranni heater do you use? i'm looking for something that will heat up my enclosed trailer and if need be let me sleep in it and still wake up the next morning. However i really don't want to isntall a furnace in the trailer and run ducts etc.... A simple heater like a blue flame that doesn't shut off at higher elevations would be perfect for me.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
X
Nov 26, 2007
Infared works great

I have a tank inside the trailer on a long rubber hose so you can keep the propane inside while travelling and it (the tank) stays much warmer than outside. I had problems with the tank valve freezing up when it was outside and it took forever to get the propoane flowing. Now that it's inside, 1 click and it fires right up. With the extra long rubber hose, you can open the V and set it out on the nose for safety reasons, but its been just fine inside and this is the 3rd trailer I've owned. The heater is a SunStar 2700btu and that trailer gets toasty QUICK! Put a piece of diamond plate behind the heater for a nice looking mount as well. This will allow you to center the heater or get a secure mount if you're beams aren't the exact width of your heater.

Trailer 012.jpg Trailer 016.jpg Trailer 017.jpg Trailer 011.jpg

Last edited:
I

IdahoMike

Feb 3, 2006
Hailey, Idaho
I have a tank inside the trailer on a long rubber hose so you can keep the propane inside while travelling and it (the tank) stays much warmer than outside. I had problems with the tank valve freezing up when it was outside and it took forever to get the propoane flowing. Now that it's inside, 1 click and it fires right up. With the extra long rubber hose, you can open the V and set it out on the nose for safety reasons, but its been just fine inside and this is the 3rd trailer I've owned. The heater is a SunStar 2700btu and that trailer gets toasty QUICK! Put a piece of diamond plate behind the heater for a nice looking mount as well. This will allow you to center the heater or get a secure mount if you're beams aren't the exact width of your heater.

Nice set up. I've been thinking of doing something just like that in my Triton 147. Mine being only a two place I was thinking of a smaller (10-18,000 btu) Infared heater, and leaving the tank inside the trailer. I might put the tank in the back of the trailer and the heater up front in the V. Do you ever run this heater with your sleds in the trailer? How big of trailer do you have? How big of tank is that your runing?

R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
xp magic nice setup looks like mine :) i really like the diamond plate

ID mike it looks like it is a 30lb propane tank and a 25 ft trailer if i were you i would buy a 30,000 no matter how big or little your trailer is just in case you can always set the termostat to low but if it will not get warm enuff you can never turn it up past high

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
How long will one of them 30 lb bottles last with them heaters. I know it depends on how much you use heater but lets say leaving it on for 2 hrs at a time.

Premium Features