• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heated Goggles Worth it for snowy days?

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Quick goggle question: Anyone else get snow up on the inside lens of your goggles? Thinking its from the way the foam fits around my nose so it leaves an opening for snow to go up and inside the goggle.
Wondering if 509 Ignite S7s help with dissipating the snow/water on the lens on the inside too, or just the outside of the lens?

I run a 509 Altitude 3K helmet with some regular Sinister S7 goggles. I have 2 pairs and 4 lens - 2 Light Rose tint and 2 clear. Never have an issue when riding clear days or even if some pow flicks up. Nothing major. Only issue is riding during a snowfall.

Thinking about cutting the foam for a better fit but I still want to get some ignites soon.

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My ignites battery dies sooner, even shutting off when not fogged I’ll have dead battery before trailer.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
No, was with five sinisters and mine were only dead ones.
Fit isn’t fantastic on helmet.
Have also scrubbed one battery pack off on trees so this is second not quite a day battery pack.
Love them when functioning correct.
Give a solid 5 to padding, fit, ease of putting on and removing.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
I have a set of ABOM's and I swear by them on snowy days. Easy to use and no battery dragging. I ride with them on/off and haven't killed a battery before 7 hours yet. Worth their weight on lens fogging days.

0Donk0

Dec 13, 2023
Wyoming
I liked mine and has no problems with them. I would just hit the button for a quick defrost when I needed it instead of leaving them on steady and I never ran out of juice. But! They are exspensive and the battery is heavy and slides down. And I got a pair of klim aeons with the photochromatic lens and they breath so much better I've never had fog issues again. All things considered I would skip the heated goggles and get 2 pairs of good breathable ones if I did it over. If you want those heater ones though they are quality, nothing wrong with them.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
i run 509 heated goggles. The 7.2 volt batteries only last a couple hours. I now run a 12 volt 6000 mAH power bank in my backpack with a extension to the goggles. Much warmer and lasts all day. Only issue I have now is the poor quality power cord coming out of the goggles breaks after several rides due to not being flexible in the cold. I will be replacing the power cord with something better and securing it to the strap so it can't get pulled on.

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
I liked mine and has no problems with them. I would just hit the button for a quick defrost when I needed it instead of leaving them on steady and I never ran out of juice. But! They are exspensive and the battery is heavy and slides down. And I got a pair of klim aeons with the photochromatic lens and they breath so much better I've never had fog issues again. All things considered I would skip the heated goggles and get 2 pairs of good breathable ones if I did it over. If you want those heater ones though they are quality, nothing wrong with them.
Would the heated lens help melt some bits of snow that's gets on the inside of the lens? Or only the outter part of the lens?

0Donk0

Dec 13, 2023
Wyoming
Would the heated lens help melt some bits of snow that's gets on the inside of the lens? Or only the outter part of the lens?
The heat is on the inside. It is made to primarily cook off the moisture inside but as a byproduct it will also melt what is on the outside.

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
The heat is on the inside. It is made to primarily cook off the moisture inside but as a byproduct it will also melt what is on the outside.
Ok nice. That is what I was wondering. Couldn't find anything online. Where just a little bit of snow gets on the inside of the lens between my nose and the goggle, it should take care of it for the snowy days.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Been riding 509 ignite goggles the last 4 seasons. They work and I've never had them use up battery life. That being said, there is plenty I don't like. The battery clanking off the side of your helmet, the two option is not satisfactory. You have "full on" or "two minute" then off. Find myself messing too much with something I shouldn't have to worry about.

That was the main reason I bought the Tempest heated goggles. They are intuitive, will come on and off as needed, I guess there is a sensor or something that controls them based on moisture. Plus, the lenses are magnetic , plus no battery pack on the side of helmet. They fit real well with my 509 Altitute helmet. Hoping to finally test them out this weekend!

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
had ABOMs which I swore by. Loved the no external battery pack but the battery wouldn’t last long after the first season.
That company has since folded and I believe the new company is called Tempest and they have a quicker lens attachment system via magnets.

Massif master

Premium Member
Oct 10, 2018
Massif du Sud
Rode with heated CKX goggles and Titan helmet for 2 years, got sick of dealing with the battery pack, installed a power plug on sled, much better heating but still had to deal w the power cord dangling. Now, no heat unless freezing rain or - 25C weather... the secret, use the muzzle to close over the goggles applying pressure to really get the lower frame foam to seal... + good goggle management when taking a break... don't get that foam wet!

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I thought they were a gimmick but now own two pairs of 509 heated goggles with multiple replacement lenses for different lighting scenarios. On storm days they are amazing. On non-storm days I still ride with standard goggles, to save the wear and tear on the heated ones.

jh7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 2, 2023
ND/MT
Are the Tempest lenses polarized? Can't find anything on the website regarding that.

I have two sets of 509 heated:
Kingpin Ignite
Aviator 2.0 Ignite S1

I originally picked up the Kingpin's since we always seemed to ride through freezing rain at lower elevation on the way up--they worked well in preventing a layer of ice forming on the exterior of the lens. Both pairs definitely melt any snow that gets on the interior. Overall I'd call them both "ok". I don't feel either pair seals all that well with my 509 Altitude helmet. As much as I want to like the Aviators for the auto mode, the battery just doesn't last long enough. I'm starting to like the Kingpins more, because they don't fog near as often. I'd always wanted to try a set of ABOM's, but they went out of business before I ordered a pair. I'll probably pick up a pair of Tempest to try since both 509's fall into the "like but not love" category.

Kingpin Ignite:
Pros: More ventilation=less fogging. If I do fog, I hit the heat button on the battery pack, and the fog clears quick. Battery life with manual or always-on is pretty good.
Cons: No app support, proprietary charger, battery is on the right side which means removing hands from the throttle to turn on the heat. These have A LOT of venting, and can be cold in cold/windy conditions. The cable that goes from the lens to battery also gets stiff in the cold, and is prone to breaking where it connects to the lens--509 replaced one of mine under warranty. A buddy had the cable break off in the same place, but it was not covered under warranty since that apparently falls under the one year warranty instead of the lifetime warranty.

Aviator 2.0 Ignite S1:
Pros: Battery on the left strap, but no need to interact with it if you use the app. App support for auto and manual mode. Mini-USB charger. Warmer due to less venting. Cable is improved/softer, so stays flexible in cold weather. Super easy to change lenses with the magnetic system.
Cons: Fogs easily when we stop or are moving slow through deep snow. Battery life is much less than the Kingpin on either manual or auto mode--these frequently go dead on me, so either a second battery is needed, or I switch to the Kingpin's to get through the second half of the day. Sometimes the auto mode works great to run the fan to clear fog, and then sometimes it doesn't run when the goggles are on and I'm all fogged up. Sometimes the fan will run when I have the goggles off hanging on my handlebars when we are stopped. Battery housing is bigger/bulkier.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Third day out with aviators, third day they sucked worse than my Scot Otg’s with no g’s.
He described them perfectly above,
Snowing hard all day, first third I tried but failed with 509’s. final two thirds I could see better with my light tint polarized sun glasses with less trouble.
My two girls do great with the older style 509’s, not as physical as me, and their batts last longer running more often.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Aboms are the best I've used and have used most of them. Probably dress too warm. Had this talk a few times with Irina adams. She is awesome. I'm on the better to have and not need than need and not have program. I can be fogging and my buddies won't. I would get the new version of Aboms. Don't have the clunky battery that I've left in the snow so many time and they work better and battery usually lasts all day.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
One ride so far with the Tempest in some decent powder and I have to say I am impressed with them. Need some more rides with different conditions before I give a full review...but so far do good

Premium Features