• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How Cold Is Too Cold For 1st Snowmobile Ride

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Need opinions from lady riders.

My adult daughter said she wanted to try snowmobiling so we planned a trip around her work schedule and as luck would have it, the forecasted highs for the ride days are 0-10 degrees with 10-20mph winds in the mtns (Snowy Range by Laramie). The ride days are Feb 22-23, same days the arctic cold front is moving thru.

It would be primarily a trail ride, easy stuff, speeds will most likely be less than 35mph. If there are some good meadows we will do those but will not dive into the trees off-trail much.

The forecast says 5-9” new snow the day and night prior to our ride. The days of ride it will be mostly cloudy with some light snow.

She has proper snow gear with 509 heated goggles and klim mtn balaclava to keep her face warm.
I will also install some handlebar gauntlets to help keep her hands warm and will also add foot warming packets to her boots.

She will be riding my 2010 M8 with the medium windshield height. Handwarmers on bars work fine.

The first day, I was thinking about riding from Albany to Wycolo where we can take a break inside to warm up and have lunch.
The second day, depending if she feels up to it, we would ride from Green Rock and do an easy loop around the peaks. Quealy warming hut for lunch and to warm up.

Do you think these temps would be too cold? I have been riding for 30 years and quite frankly, I am not too thrilled about riding in these temps but on the up side, the winds should be light for the snowies.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Under 5 is where my girls start to battle being cold, but they’ve been out a lot, two of them went for a four hour ride at -15 over New Years and came back happy.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The trail riding will be the worst part. Sitting on a sled cruising 35mph is cold.
If u can get into some meadows and ride slow speed with some sharp turns or pow carves to use muscles and build up body heat, that will help even out the cold trail.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Thanks for the replies. Looks like they will be in a winter storm warning but as long as road closures don‘t prevent us getting to Laramie we will ride.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Honestly, for the first day out, you might be pushing it. My wife loves days that are bluebird sunny and warm..... Remember this all about having a positive experience. Being cold for all/part of the day is anything but positive.

You are spot on getting the heated goggles, hand warmers for feet and hands, and other warm gear. But, cold is cold. And when you stop, take helmets off, have a snack and all that, you'll get pretty cold quickly.

Maybe plan on a short(ish) ride of like 2 hours at most? My wife likes to come out, ride a little, see the scenery, ride a little, have a snack, and then be done before she starts to get cold/tired.

Good luck with it. Hope you have a great experience. Take lots of pics.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Thanks. We went and she was fine. The Grabbers full length foot warmers worked great and the handlebar gauntlets worked great. She didnt get cold. The late day trail ride from Rob Roy to Albany got a little cool though.

The second day we didnt think we would be able to ride since the temp was like -8 in Laramie with very strong winds and drifting sniw, as well as white out conditions for the first 15 miles as we drove out. Then it started to clear some so we checked out Green Rock and the temp was 16 with little wind and snow. We rode all day and it was nice.

Had it been windy it would not have been as good of an experience, for sure.

Premium Features