• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Guideline for cost of using my rigs?

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
I need to find a source of information for finding guidelines to figuring out the cost of using my rigs. In this case, I let a neighbor use my duramax and flatbed trailer to pick up a tractor he bought at an auction. Also, I let my cousin use my duramax with his trailer when his own truck was out of the commission. Both times it was returned with fuel plumb full to the fillerneck. Thanks for any information.

S
Oct 21, 2004
Puyallup, WA
I need to find a source of information for finding guidelines to figuring out the cost of using my rigs. In this case, I let a neighbor use my duramax and flatbed trailer to pick up a tractor he bought at an auction. Also, I let my cousin use my duramax with his trailer when his own truck was out of the commission. Both times it was returned with fuel plumb full to the fillerneck. Thanks for any information.

Tell them both that they should split the cost of purchasing a brand new truck, then they should go to the dealer and pick up said truck, deliver it to you and exchange it for your truck. Consider that between the two trips combined and the fact that it's a duramax whose useful life span is very short, it's the least they can do to repay you for a favor......:confused::beer;

Or I've found that a hundred dollar bill always puts a smile on anybody's face:D

Last edited:

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Are you ever going to need a favor from them?They filled the truck up with fuel before returning it.Do you have an issue or are you just wondering?

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
No issue. They both can't really return favors for me because they don't offer anything to my liking/need. They just keep bothering me about what I want out of loaning them my truck. Even tho they filled it up full each time it was loaned out, they wanted to pay me besides just filling the tank. I just needed some ballpark figures on what the going rate is on $ per mile so I can give them something to chew on. I figured $100 each would do it.

toesmack

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2008
Reno, NV
Full tank? If good friends, call it even. $.50/ mile is pretty realistic though. Sounds like Snowbyrd either drives a Dodge or pushes a Ford. Always did like the GM, nice rig.

B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
$0.50 a mile is pretty reasonable considering that the tank was full when they returned the truck. Basically you need to consider tire wear and tear on the truck and trailer, and then factor in maintenance costs like oil changes and what it costs per mile and add it all up if you want to figure out an exact number. Is easily done in excel

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Full tank? If good friends, call it even. $.50/ mile is pretty realistic though. Sounds like Snowbyrd either drives a Dodge or pushes a Ford. Always did like the GM, nice rig.

Yep sound like good guys if they want to pay you.I personally would tell them to buy the beer and steaks and that you will see them at their house on Saturday.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Here's some food for though. The gov't reimburses employees .55cents a mile for travel using their own vehicles when on official business. This is supposed to take into account depreciation and fuel costs. With that being said, that's probably based on a car that gets 25mpg or so. This is a diesel truck. I'll refrain from the what "I would do" or "what I think you should do" type comments b/c we're all a little different in how we would do it. I think the posters above gave you some good advice. Let me add a little.

If you are "renting" it to someone, $1 per mile is fair. If you're throwing in a trailer, tack on an extra $50 per day. Here, it costs $50 a day to rent a POS trailer. Then, you send it out with a full tank and they bring it back with a full tank. However, be prepared. If you're going to ask for rental costs, they'll probably treat it like a rental.

Have you thought about turning it back on them and saying, "well, you tell me what you think is fair and that's good enough for me."

S
Oct 21, 2004
Puyallup, WA

I have a Ford, nothing special...just thought it was funny that he mentioned several times that it was a "duramax", redundant. ;);)

If it has wheels, they all have problems!:( I was just ball busting:D

I did offer the $100 suggestion, without a lot of other info that was not provided, its a good round about price that is sure to please both parties.:present:

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Have you thought about turning it back on them and saying, "well, you tell me what you think is fair and that's good enough for me."

I actually did tell them that just to get them thinking. Heh, no bite. I ended up telling them .55 cents per mile round trip and access to each of their bobcats if I so desire. I usually charge 150 a day plus fuel if I was driving but I wasn't for the first time ever. Thanks for all the suggestions.:beer;

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Whether to and what to charge may depend upon how far they are going with it.

I couldn't find the Montana freeware.

Cost per mile depends upon how many miles are driven each year. The more miles, the less cost per mile for fixed costs.

I think what you're after is to recoup the variable costs such as, but not limited to: Tires, Oil changes, transmission fluid changes, general maintenance or estimated maintenance, brakes, etc. Fuel as well, if your rig gets 10mpg average and they didn't add fuel, you could use the mpg to estimate.

You could also throw in some depreciation by comparing blue book values for the same vehicle with various mileage figures thrown in, maybe using 10,000 mile increments, then figure a cost per mile.

The difficult thing may be to work out how much it will cost them if they damage it, or it gets hit by a deer, gets a door ding, etc.

Premium Features