• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front and Rear Bumper Options - 165 Slash

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
I am looking at bumpers for a 165 Slash. Here are the ones I am most interested in. Any input pros and cons is appreciated!

Front Bumper (I am only including full coverage bumpers):
BM Fab (I have used this on my AXYS. Very robust. Especially with the cross brace. I also like that they don't need plastic end caps.)
$250
Front Bumper - BM Fab.jpg

Backwoods
$285
Backwoods.jpg

Skinz Bumper Set (being a two piece probably not as robust as the other two)
$345
Skinz.jpg

Rear Bumpers with tunnel reinforcement:
BM Fab (has extra reinforcement at the weakest point of the tunnel)
$295
Rear Bumper - BM.png

Backwoods
$315
Rear Bumper - Backwoods.png

Skinz
$300
Rear Bump - Skinz.png

T-Rex
$250
Rear Bumper - TRex.png

Z-Bros
$200
Rear Bumper - ZBros.jpg

Straightline Performance HNG
$250
Rear Bump - Straightline Performance.jpg

These are the ones I have pretty much narrowed my search down to. Any one stand out against the rest or are all pretty equal? I would seem the B&M Fabs are the most robust. But I kind of like the styling of the Backwoods offerings. As always input is appreciated! If I missed something recommendations are always welcome!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Get what you think looks cool. If you crash your sled into stuff, you deserve to be punished for wrecking your sled.

Last edited:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Just an FYI and probably a once in a lifetime event, last season I bumped a tree on a side hill going through slow with a Skinz front bumper and somehow the ski loop got hooked on the end and killed my line with the bars locked it that position. Now I'm not a fan of the open ended bumpers.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Both the bm fab and skinz front bumpers will catch alders on the backside as the A arms bend them forward.

Get one just right and you go over the handlebars.

Backwoods bumper doesn’t catch.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Just an FYI and probably a once in a lifetime event, last season I bumped a tree on a side hill going through slow with a Skinz front bumper and somehow the ski loop got hooked on the end and killed my line with the bars locked it that position. Now I'm not a fan of the open ended bumpers.
Monarch bumper on the axys will occasionally snag a ski loop ... really makes for a challenging ride for a moment or two

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Backwoods for the win. Great design and the powder coating is high quality. Had theirs on my last sled, and have a set sitting ready for my next one.

Great product and really nice owners. We chatted with them at the WC hill climb in Jackson last year. Made in the USA and they stand behind their products.

It's great to have so many options if you like other designs.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I used Backwoods on 2 of my sleds last year. I had one sled center punch a tree. I thought for sure my bulkhead was gone. Nope, the bumper took all the brunt and folded like it should have. Not even the mounting tabs on the overstructure were broken.
they gave my the 50% crash replacement on the new one. ?? But they sent 2 of the same side panel mounting brackets. I had to take one from the destroyed bumper

their shipping is pricy though and I do not like the janky 3D printed side panel mounting brackets they give. I think those could be better and I think they could come pre-installed.

the rear bumpers are stout. I would like to see some bolts vs all rivets though.

the BM fab bumpers look to be mounted better. I used them on all my Axys sleds and they were great.

my buddy put a T-Rex rear on his Matryx. It looks and mounts nearly identical to the Backwoods. I think it is copy.

When my son's sled gets here, I will probably go with BM Fab on that one

F
Dec 30, 2019
On my Axys I ran BM Fabrications front and iTek rear. Trying BMP Backwoods front and rear this year on my Matryx

bdd6dcc39c0ef49f7d72a5b153b1503b.jpg

91a81f964eee2bcdb13f84fde605fb45.jpg

34fbf7d88d981b9fbfa59a5a4353dbeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
You can not beat B&M Fab bumpers. They are a family fabricating bumper in the USA with quality metals. The front is designed to deflect trees/objects away from the sled. The cross more adds rigidity that others do not have. The rear is fastened with bolts and rivets instead of just rivets. We put these bumpers through the some extreme conditions year after year. Between construction and customer service they get my business

Premium Features