• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fox float 2

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
What is the downside to going to these if I have to have them 1" shorter than the shocks i have now. I have a XTX now with the gytr shocks, and am considering the float 2's, but they are 1" shorter. Will this cause any problems?
Are they really worth the money?

thanks,

kirk

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
Depending your driving i would say, on the MTX Yamaha made the shocks 1" shorter from 08 - 09, to enhance handling in loose snow, if you mainly drive in loose snow it could be a hit!
But, i would never trade the GYT-R to Float, you have a much better shock in the GYT-R, but if you only prioritize weight and only drive in loose snow go for it, othervice i would never think about it.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Depending your driving i would say, on the MTX Yamaha made the shocks 1" shorter from 08 - 09, to enhance handling in loose snow, if you mainly drive in loose snow it could be a hit!
But, i would never trade the GYT-R to Float, you have a much better shock in the GYT-R, but if you only prioritize weight and only drive in loose snow go for it, othervice i would never think about it.

TBIRD -do you recommend the GYT-R for off trail riding - (powder, sidehilling, boondocking) over the Floats. Which exact GYT-R shocks for the Apex (fronts)?
Thanks

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I would't get shorter shocks, it drops the front end a lot. I think the Nytro does better having more clearance in the front. GYTR's are probably better than Float II's but the Float X's from the SE are awesome and still 17.5".

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
TBIRD -do you recommend the GYT-R for off trail riding - (powder, sidehilling, boondocking) over the Floats. Which exact GYT-R shocks for the Apex (fronts)?
Thanks

In loose snow it not as obviose as on hard, but a better shock is always better, in loose snow and powder i think floats work pressty good, but now and then i must travel on trail, and when hitting an ditch Float isn't fun any more.
The GYT-R to Apex MTX that fits, after modifying upper mount because it is one inch taller, is the one from several Apex and Vector models, ex this http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/p.../5/435/1827/13018/2010/1/6173/0/0/detail.aspx
Dont notice the price, i believe it's ~$480 for two.
The modification needed is indept described @ ty4stroke.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
Dont go shorter, rides way too low and almost feels as if it is diving everywhere you go. Like nikolai said, if you want floats get the SE floats and you wont regret it!

Premium Features