• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Found a rock with my 12' pro rmk

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
As the title states, I found a rock yesterday riding. Direct hit the spindle. slight bend in the a-arm, however, I crumpled the tunnel and broke the bulkhead in two. Luckily I was able to ride out to the truck. The sled just didn't drive well or sound too healthy... The good: I've got insurance, full coverage for these types of unforeseen problems. The Bad: just finished paying off the sled in the fall and the truck last week.... And it looks like it may dump this coming week... Talking to the dealer about getting a chassis the the front bulkhead, he mentioned that the 155 HAS the front bulkhead, only the 163 has the front cooler deleted. Now, I'm faced with a dilemma. It's obviously going to be a couple weeks until the sled is fixed. With the dealer doing a repair estimate, insurance doing their own etc. Then ordering parts waiting for them to arrive and getting them installed. I'm going to talk to the dealer about demo'ing an Rmk assault. As I'm starting to find SMALL drifts to jump, cornices to drop. And I interested in finding out what the difference in handling is. Being 6'2" with LONG arms I suspect I may like the wider front end without the sway bar. Now what I'm having trouble finding out. The weight difference between the Pro RMK and RMK assault is 18 lb's. Is that weight in the following? 1. Chain drive vs. belt drive. for roughly 2-3 lbs 2. shocks piggy back verses non for roughly 3-4 lbs 3. A-arms glued verses welded for 3-4 lbs. 4. Bracing accounts for the remaining 7 lbs? Looking through photos and threads, the tunnel looks like it may have more bracing at the front where the bulkhead meets the tunnel. I also noticed that the assault rail profile may be taller??? Anyone know any more details on the bracing or what the extra weight is from?

Last edited:
C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
Just looking at the parts fiche. Looks like the mechanic had it wrong. The standard does have an extra cooler.......

The one at the dealer has the 5.1 on it. Definitely going to need to check it out.

Maybe my best bet is to try and get the 2014 chassis assembly with the bulkhead cooler.....

C

chap

Dec 10, 2007
It will be interesting to see what the insurance company says. It's a lot of labor cost for a shop to swap out a bulkhead and a tunnel. You may end up with a check vs a repair. By the time the insurance company totals the repair costs vs the salvage value of a damaged sled, they sometimes cut a check to the owner and sell the sled for salvage. I saw it happen last year with a buddy.

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
It will be interesting for sure the dealer estimated 16 hrs of labour to replace the tunnel/chassis.

I was having such a good ride up to that point. blue bird day, riding well. Just want this to get sorted out quickly. It's supposed to dump this coming week...

I miss my sled.....

O
Dec 6, 2007
You can do quite a bit of damage. My buddy did $4600 worth of damage to a '10 XP and they paid to fix it. Usually around 70% of the value in damage or more and it is totalled.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
It will be interesting for sure the dealer estimated 16 hrs of labour to replace the tunnel/chassis.

I was having such a good ride up to that point. blue bird day, riding well. Just want this to get sorted out quickly. It's supposed to dump this coming week...

I miss my sled.....

Sorry to hear about the crash. At least you're ok.
As for the sled, a 16 hr labor estimate to tear the whole sled down to nothing and replace the tunnel and bh as well as all other repairs is LOW.
Sounds to me the dlr wants the work, underestimating the labor to try to keep from the ins totaling it.
Personally I'd push for the total out. Take your $ and buy another '12 or a fat down payment on a new one.
How hard did you hit?
I'm definitely bracing up my Pro. A rock to the front suspension should tear up the suspension but not buckle the whole chassis IMO.

H

hogan assault

Feb 16, 2012
Alberta
It will be interesting to see what the insurance company says. It's a lot of labor cost for a shop to swap out a bulkhead and a tunnel. You may end up with a check vs a repair. By the time the insurance company totals the repair costs vs the salvage value of a damaged sled, they sometimes cut a check to the owner and sell the sled for salvage. I saw it happen last year with a buddy.

I agree. I had 80m on my 2014 163 pro and hit a rock a couple weeks ago. Cracked one side of the bulkhead, bent the other, and no tunnel damage other than where the gas rack was bolted to the tunnel track got tweaked from the weight of the can trying to shoot forward. They basically told me if I wanted to repair the tunnel because of the small amount of the damage that they would write it off because it would have to be replaced which would be too expensive.

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
16 hrs does seem quicker than I could do it with a knowledgeable friend. I'm used to owning used sleds and doing all my own repairs. This obvious is not something I want to do myself.

Once Insurance contacts me I'll see what my options are, hopefully I don't need to fight to get my sled situation sorted out. The dealer opens on Tuesday, I'll keep on both the insurance and dealer to get this resolved soon.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
16 hours sounds about right based on what my dealer told me. I was watching them tear one down on Saturday. I had a motor mount bracket bolt fall out - you have to pull the motor to re-install - and I was absolutely amazed at how fast they were able to take the entire motor out. They had it out and back in in under an hour.

P.s. They had to put heli coils in two of the 4 bolts. (2012 600 RMK)

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
K
Dec 4, 2009
Malaga, WA
I had a similar deal this year. Ended up rolling my 13 PRO down a hill with very little snow coverage. Tunnel Damage, Steering, plastics, bumpers, brake, running board. The estimate from the shop was about 20 hours labor if I remember correctly and about $6200 for the full repair and insurance paid to have it fixed. I have just heard the same thing that "if the tunnel is bent they total the sled" and that was not what happened in my case.

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
Hopefully I'll have an idea of what is happening soon. Insurance adjuster called for details yesterday, dealer opens today. I'll check up with them around lunch time, see if they are getting close to having their own estimate done.

I would love to have a sled to ride this weekend, however, that is unlikely. Good news is that i'm going on vacation next Monday so I'm missing 1 weekend anyways. As long as it's all sorted out before Jan 24th.

Seems like it depends a lot on the insurance company as to whether or not they repair it or not....

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
Estimate is $7600.00 from the dealer, and the insurance estimator got the full estimate last night. Just waiting for the person handling the claim to get the estimate. I hope this is resolved soon....

Premium Features