• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For the guys that have gave this a thought.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I have a high powered King and have often wondered if my Sledjunky drop brackets make it tougher to sidehill. Nose down with less front skid downpressure, it seems I can only controll my sled well when on the throttle. Lifting the skies and shifting all the sleds weight to the rear of the track. I've never tried a 1-M without the drop brackets. It sure works great in deep snow and has a great approach angle, but it's a long way from the carving of a M-sled. Should I get rid of the drop brackets? I do like the 30'' rear bumper hieght. It looks cool.
I'm tired of always squaring up to each slope and shooting straight up or down mountains. I don't want to be schooled any more.

Owen

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I think you are on to something. I have run both sledjunkys and the Holz(currently) and find the Holz setup more forgiving and they seem to drop the track less.

Take them off and let us know how it works.

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
Cat put alot into that skid. Jason Howl had alot of input on that sled and the skid and he new how to tune. Get rid of those stupid drop brackets and injoy. As far as making the sled handel better put a forward mount steering post on you will not belive how your sled will feel.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I believe you and I'll give it a try.

Is it apt to stab the track then? I know those windows are quite large. I don't think it is a concern with the drop brackets but with a steeper approach angle maybe it happens. At least with a loose track. I have always ran the track just tight enough that it doesn't ratchet.

Owen

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
You Should have a less chance of stabbing with the shorter factory drops! The SJ brackets are known for stabbing! The stockers will drop the back about 2 to 3" so it should still look mean. If you don't have some drop brackets I have a pair of stockers willing to get rid of. Also try and cut the back edge of the ski to narrow up for side hilling. Raise the front suspension with a .50" longer shock to add more ground clearance will help with the side hilling and the longer rear brackets. Also when doing move the front skid shock forward an 1" or so to the next hole this will add ground clearance and keep the track parallel to the ground. Basically you are making a '07 "M" series sled ground clearance but the front arms are not mounted all the way to the ctr. of the chassis. What does that do besides more travel I don't know. Maybe more leverage over the suspension when side hilling?

Mike

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
My Toughts high time

I am running the Holz drop brackets on my MOD KK on NOS and impressed on how much control I have on a steep climb, the front end stays about a foot off the snow and does not want to come over backwards, even hitting the Happy Button I have complete control , as far as side hilling I am running the narrower ski stance with SLP Powder Pros and works awesome, I have not run the stock brackets on the snow but before I installed the Holz brackets, I could push down on the rear bumper and skis would come of the floor with the stock brackets but not with the Holz Br, my thoughts is with stock brackets you may have to much ski lift in a climb, just my thoughts, Awesome day of riding today, love the new Power Claw MADDOGWFO

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Maddog you are right they add more ski pressure to the front, I forgot about that. But you are saying you have the Holtz drop brackets? Are those the hard mount brackets that the stock torque arm bolts to? Or are you using the drop bracket with the SJ torque arms? Also Mountain Magic had drop brackets that lowered the rear hole for the torque arms. Sorry I am getting confused between drop brackets and pivot(torque)arms.

Thanks Mike

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
For the many years I rode kings ( i still have one) I have said that drop brackets ruin the handling of this chassis ! I have been called lots of things for this opinion. My 1M side hills easier than my M no doubt about it. toss the drop brackets they suck !! Then if you really do have a king, not just a 1m 900 mountain cat. Toss the lower scissor arm on the rear suspension and get the one that came on the 06 king and 04 mountain cats. (its also comes on the HCR M8s) It is easily 1 inch shorter. Makes a HUGE difference. Makes it so the chassis can transfer weight the way it likes to and makes it a dream in the DEEP pow. Now, doing both of those things will make it so it doesn't like trails. But for me I could care less about trial handling, its all about how she handles in the trees and deep snow.

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
Pictures

Sorry about the ice but it has been cold here and just got back from riding, any way HRP drop brackets with stock upper boogie wheels and bolts, MADDOGWFO

P1010070.jpg P1010071.jpg

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Rixter, i have the 03.5 is that the same rear arm as the '04? Mine side hills like a knife thru butter, not "HOT knife but does very well. If I need a shorter rear scissor link I will look for the shorter one. Do you know the lg. ctr to ctr?

Thanks Mike

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I like what you guys are saying......

I would think that yes, it might come up in front easier. I'm willing to try it. I'm over highmarking all the time. I can't afford a new sled and my King is still nice.

Owen

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
here is the parts number of the shorter arm 1704-001 According to babbittsonline.com the 03 is different. I wish I knew the measurement but I dont. My 1M isnt at my house. I could maybe go measure it monday.

900kingkitty

Nov 27, 2007
terrace b.c, canada
rixster , not trying to add any confusion to this topic , but the mm drop brackets come with a longer arm , i installed the brackets on mine but not the arm, what do you think the longer arm does? it is longer than my stock 05 rear arm..?

Last edited:

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
THANKS for your post on the scissor arm Rixster! Heres what I got going myself... bought this chassis when I wrecked my 03.5 Mtn Cat. Havent touched the rear skid. It has "Mountin Magic" stamped pieces on the tunnel and what I believe are "sledjunkies" on those? The scissor arm is brand new, but thanks to Rixster Im wondering about the length? The scissor/suspension will not recoil to full extension when compressed. When you compress it, it only comes halfway back on its own. If you "lift" the bumper by hand it will extend fully and hold. The shock is good. I dont think the rails are stock as well. Anyway, the geometery is off somewhere. The thing is... set-up as it is... it rides GREAT! I jump it, sidehill it, have ski pressure just how I like it (it still lifts 'em) and it sidehills just fine! I'd like to figure out exactely what I have as far as the set-up... but in 3+ months of trying, still dont have it figured out... BUT IT WORKS!

(in the pic, you can see the scissor still kicked back a lil' bit) Maybe too long?
100_0403.jpg

Dragonseatonthe9001.jpg

Last edited:

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
...and I know what you mean about the lift. Nice to get the tail out of the deep snow! If you go back to stock... maybe do the M-series '09,'10 running board/rear bumper upgrade. Im gonna do mine this summer. Skinny up the rear of the tunnel and get rid of all that running board you dont need...

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
That I think is a Holtz rear scissor arm which is longer than any factory arm! You could go with a stock arm and it will straighten out as the scissor connection will be lower. You could maybe drill new holes in the skid 2.00" back or wherever straight is for the lower scissor mount and the stop rod? But I don't know if it will compress without binding? When you compress down the back is it the track over tightening that is stopping it or the geometry of the suspension? The front skid arms are what determines how much and how fast the skid tightens. I made new higher mounts on the skid rather than drilling the other holes in the chassis to lower the arm angle. This helped big time as the track is just a little tighter during full compression. Also I made my own rear torque arms somewhere between the SJ and stock lg. with less of a upward curve. Also mounted small wheels to the arm as yours are, helps with the track from over tightening. Mike

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
THANKS for your post on the scissor arm Rixster! Heres what I got going myself... bought this chassis when I wrecked my 03.5 Mtn Cat. Havent touched the rear skid. It has "Mountin Magic" stamped pieces on the tunnel and what I believe are "sledjunkies" on those? The scissor arm is brand new, but thanks to Rixster Im wondering about the length? The scissor/suspension will not recoil to full extension when compressed. When you compress it, it only comes halfway back on its own. If you "lift" the bumper by hand it will extend fully and hold. The shock is good. I dont think the rails are stock as well. Anyway, the geometery is off somewhere. The thing is... set-up as it is... it rides GREAT! I jump it, sidehill it, have ski pressure just how I like it (it still lifts 'em) and it sidehills just fine! I'd like to figure out exactely what I have as far as the set-up... but in 3+ months of trying, still dont have it figured out... BUT IT WORKS!

(in the pic, you can see the scissor still kicked back a lil' bit) Maybe too long?
100_0403.jpg

Dragonseatonthe9001.jpg

the arm will NEVER go back to straight with both sets of drop brackets on there If it were me I would toss them both. But at the very least take one or the other set off and ebay them. then buy a 06 king lower arm. I prefer the stock brackets with the shorter arm.

Last edited:

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
I'll do some more researching on the scissor arm length... but the setup works AWESOME! All the complaints I've heard about "too much ski pressure" are really non-existent. It still carries the skies just a bit.... the extra height means less drag in the snow and im still getting bite in DEEEP POWDER... I still have shock resistence when I jump it or drop it off a cornice... The "soft" suspension due to the scissor arm actually counters the ski pressure. It sidehills just fine, the track doesnt wash out on steep sidehill grades... gonna leave it just as is... unless I can find a shorter arm. This thing sees VERY LITTLE trail... if any, so thats not an issue.

Premium Features