• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Final word on G4

U
Feb 11, 2017
Whats the final word on the G4 165 vs 155 coming from a XM. If I have a XM with 163 is there enough of a power and weight advantage for a 220 lb guy to step down to a 155 or should I stick with the 165 series. All deep BC riding incl. fair bit of trees and a little hill climbing, not that I care how high I get.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Stick with the 165. I bought a 154 and a 175 this year because I log a lot of miles. But if I had to choose one, it would be the 165. Loved my 17 other than the clutch issues.....

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Whats the final word on the G4 165 vs 155 coming from a XM. If I have a XM with 163 is there enough of a power and weight advantage for a 220 lb guy to step down to a 155 or should I stick with the 165 series. All deep BC riding incl. fair bit of trees and a little hill climbing, not that I care how high I get.

Get a 165 for sure , but I would put u on the 175, you would not know the difference in maneuverability over 165 but u will love how it rides the steep and deep and the power!! Get a dealer to get u out on one!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Not here to trash on you Dave because I always hate it when people climb all over you on here but have to disagree on the maneuverability. Maybe an average rider won't notice just playing out in the open but playing in tight pockets there is a big difference. Usually you have enough extra traction you can make plan b work out.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
I have both and would recommend the 165. My 125 lb wife loves the 165 and says its easier to menuever.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I'm a a tad North of 250, I have a 165. Have your buddy get the 165. Valve the shocks to his weight, install the ZBros skis relocation bracket, done. The 154 I was with in 30 of snow on Saturday, with 90 lbs less on the seat, was too much nose in the sky!

Ace

iplocal

Always looking for new mountain riding partners!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2015
Island Park, ID & Mt St Helens, WA
Look, if you mostly ride powder, the longer the track the better unless you are south of 175lbs. If you weigh more than that the short track will suck. I own a 154 and a 174 and the 154 is parked all the time unless it is icy and the conditions are trash. The times where the 174 is not maneuverable enough are few and far between as that big track keeps me moving forward through tree wells the shorter track would bog in. That said, I live in Island Park in the winter and the Portland Oregon area in the other three season. If I only rode the cascades, I would say 154 as its concrete out there most of the time. If I am in the rockies though, 174 all day long. Personally I think the 163 is probably the best all around sled. These days the sleds lean over almost too easy. 5-7 years ago I would agree with people saying long tracks are only for fat people. These days the riding geometry has gotten so good and the sleds so manageable that I dont know why any mountain rider wouldn't at least be on 160"+, unless again you are bone skinny like burandt. Save those short tracks for the flatlanders.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I'm a a tad North of 250, I have a 165. Have your buddy get the 165. Valve the shocks to his weight, install the ZBros skis relocation bracket, done. The 154 I was with in 30 of snow on Saturday, with 90 lbs less on the seat, was too much nose in the sky!

Ace

What does the relocation bracket do? I tried to read about it but it doesn't say much.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
What does the relocation bracket do? I tried to read about it but it doesn't say much.

... moves the mounting point to the rails back 3/4", while keeping the geometry of the suspension the same. It "tames" the front end from coming up, while keeping the limiter strap and shocks settings the same as stock.

Ace

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Are you referring to the zollinger bracket as in z motion? What is a zbroz ski relocation bracket?

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Would not even think of waisting your time on the shortys, They are all over the place other than where you want them to go, seen a few shortys a few weeks back come right over on the operator and fell on them, in the steep/deep

Now if your into riding the medows with a photographer placed in strategic areas for the Great Shot go with the shortys

Even on the 175 you will need to upgrade the poor saggy suspension some, doo just can't get that figured out.. No hills in Quebec I guess

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
Finally got out on the first ride with our '18 175's. Prior sleds were '13 XM 154's. Off trail the floatation and traction are nothing short of amazing. Over and over all day long my wife and I kept saying if we were on the old sleds we would have been stuck back there, stuck here, and stuck over there.

As far as maneuverability goes, in the fluffy stuff I had no idea I was on a 175. It was easier to ride and more nimble than our older XM's. On the trail it pushed through the corners more and the length was noticeable. Fine by me though, we only ride trails to get somewhere, and do so at moderate speeds. Both sleds were delivered with the limiter strap on position #2, I'm going to suck it up to position #3 and see if the extra ski pressure helps.

No surprise because it's been said 100 times on the forums, the power is freaking awesome. I would like the engagement to be at a little lower RPM. I'd say it's around 4k now so it's revier than I'm used to. Maybe that's okay and I'll get used to it, or I'll get a clutch kit.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Look, if you mostly ride powder, the longer the track the better unless you are south of 175lbs. If you weigh more than that the short track will suck.

I weigh 165 and I'm glad I have the 165, I have ridden buddies 154s for compatisson, the 165 trenches less, holds lines better and you can dump it into corners harder and still pop right up, all characteristics I like!

Premium Features