• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Factory Polaris turbo ???

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
With a 4 year warranty. That makes a big difference to most.
True for some but I still was not going to be a beta tester even with a 4 year warranty. Season is short for me so down time at the dealer is not something I want to deal with. Still on fence about getting a 2020 850.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
My 4 Year warranties, voided immediately with turbo and other installs. 1 Year warranty on a factory turbo, priceless.

@Madtown - get off the fence, the 850 is legit.

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
you can purchase a extra 3 years of warranty on the doo. buddy works at doo dealer. $25500 out the door with a two year warranty, that's in Canada

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
The intake idea was stolen from a dealer in northern Colorado that was putting aerocharger systems on. Most of there development came from this source but it's no longer available.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
you can purchase a extra 3 years of warranty on the doo. buddy works at doo dealer. $25500 out the door with a two year warranty, that's in Canada
So give or take options (shocks, track, pidd, etc), accessories, exact selling price, and if that price is BC or AB tax rate...that’s roughly the same price CDN as a 2020 pol 850 Snowcheck with a sidekick. No warranty on that route, but you also wind up with much more than 165hp. Just thought that was interesting.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
My local dealer was allotted 14; sold 11 in less than 2 weeks and he told me price is 18.1k; I thought it would have been pushing 20k.

My local Polaris dealer had either a silber or boondocker turbo on an 800 last year, Polaris had them do it. Dealer said they put the same 4 turbos on the 800 last year, and between the dealer sled and these absolutely no issues. Said if you are going to turbo a sled they recommended only doing it to the 800 for now; and don't remember which turbo co. they said to use but will find out.

Local mechanic said he had been riding for many years and was kind of burnt out on sledding, turbo sled has put the fun in it again for him. Heck, he even bought the turbo sled after the season.

I'm almost positive dealer said if I snowchecked a sled, and they put on the turbo immediately; that it would still have the 4 year warranty. Will confirm this and what turbo they recommend in the next few days.

How can you blame doo for wanting to have the first factory turbo sled on the market with a 2020.5?!

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
At 3,000 feet you will have a turbo w/ 165 HP or a NA sled with 150 HP. Not a huge difference for the lower elevation people, but some will spend some coin on other solutions for even a 10-15 HP gain.

There are cheaper ways to close the HP gap that will have less moving parts to break. Simply add a single pipe.

To compete at higher elevation Polaris should simply start with bigger engines. Revise bore and stroke on 840 adding 2 more variations of the awesome engine.

840cc 175HP
1040cc 195HP
1240cc 215HP

If you only operate the engine at 50% most of the day, you will get better fuel range, it will be quiet and it will last forever.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I'll never ride a skidoo until they change they're weird ass steering and 1996 mod attack angle but I'm stoked to see this.

Not stoked at 18k stock sleds but this was due.

Can't deny they're pulling polaris and cat around by the nose ring with the motor tech.
What is 1996 mod attack angle. Sounds cool

jb800

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Currently MN
I realize it's a 4 stroke but Polaris has had factory turbos for years in the Rzr lineup. I think they have enough experience at producing and warranting a factory turbo. Interesting that both Cat and Ski Doo felt the need for extremely early releases. Hmm....
Ya, then you will see sleds on the side of the mountain on fire just like the turbo rzr's!:ROFLMAO: Don't get me wrong I have a turbo rzr, general and a 2020 pro but........

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Having never run a turbo I've always wondered how much of a risk they are to the engine life. If the engine is designed to run 165 hp and all this low boost turbo does is allow it to run 165 hp at all elevations, is it going to hurt engine longevity that much? I'd be interested in the opinions of you turbo aficionados.

Theoretically it shouldn't have much if any impact on the motor itself. All the Ski-Doo turbo does is allow the motor to see constant atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi @ sea level) all the way up to 8000 Ft.

i.e. at 8000 ft elevation atmospheric pressure is probably around 11 psi, depending on ambient temperatures exc. The turbo charger compensates by building 3.7 lbs of boost so the motor itself still sees 14.7 psi of atmospheric pressure. As a result, it can still produce the 165 (sea level) HP rating. Fueling should essentially remain unchanged as well as clutching...?

Nothing is free so there are some slight losses, increased back pressure exc. but imo its pretty insignificant. The added parts and complexity is probably the highest risk in regards to reliability.

Premium Features