• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Jacket / Engine Wrap

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I ordered PST blankets for my KTM 500 EXC the other day, including the optional "Cold Weather" upper panel for the right side.

Spendy, but if you watch their installation video, its a pretty slick, convertible on the fly kit.

http://www.powersportstech.com/installation-video.html

I'm using the P3 Carbon Fiber exhaust heat shield...just have to maintain 1" clearance around the PST blankets.

Last edited:
B
I got my PST engine cover today and put it on. I'm impressed with it. I thought it would be a thick material that might hold water/ice/snow, but it is thin and fits my Beta really well. I like how they included a bolt for the radiator shroud mount and two holes for the cover to go over the skidplate.

There is no doubt that I could NOT have made a better cover. I also got the cold weather cover for the space above the kickstarter. I'm glad my bike came with a Trail Tech Voyager that even has a dedicated engine temp screen that I'll be leaving on while I ride.

The only thing I'm not hot on and might modify are the PST logos on the covers. I might take the plastic spray paint I have and simply paint them black when I get home tomorrow.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
The only thing I'm not hot on and might modify are the PST logos on the covers. I might take the plastic spray paint I have and simply paint them black when I get home tomorrow.

I think their logos actually look pretty good on there...adds a little touch of class, shows you didn't cheap out :face-icon-small-win

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
Resurrecting this thread to discuss engine blanket fabrics....

I'm a cheap bastard, so I plan on making my own. For the last couple years, I was running a Nomex material that worked pretty well, although without a lot of extra work, it was difficult to avoid fraying edges. This year I'd like to make something like the "Drifter's" product. I'm intending on buying some of this 18oz. industrial coated vinyl w/ fire retardant.

https://bigduckcanvas.com/vinyl-fabrics/18-oz-61-industrial-fire-retardant-black/

Has anyone used this or anything similar? Think it'll work? Better ideas? I'm curious if I'll need to run a pipe guard - didn't need one with the nomex stuff...

Levi

H
Feb 18, 2011
British Columbia
On my FC450 I used about $30 worth of 1/8” UHMW plastic , cut up skid plate/side plates and a back plate. Works awesome and did similar on my KX500 as well (but with 1/4 inch) It sits right against the header in A spot and hasn’t melted all the way through in 2 seasons.
F3867E7A-68F1-49B3-A9BB-40728842DCE0.jpegDD972F37-C61A-4CA7-804A-E602ED2A77D2.jpeg

K
Sep 22, 2016
Bend, Or
Resurrecting this thread to discuss engine blanket fabrics....

I'm a cheap bastard, so I plan on making my own. For the last couple years, I was running a Nomex material that worked pretty well, although without a lot of extra work, it was difficult to avoid fraying edges. This year I'd like to make something like the "Drifter's" product. I'm intending on buying some of this 18oz. industrial coated vinyl w/ fire retardant.

https://bigduckcanvas.com/vinyl-fabrics/18-oz-61-industrial-fire-retardant-black/

Has anyone used this or anything similar? Think it'll work? Better ideas? I'm curious if I'll need to run a pipe guard - didn't need one with the nomex stuff...

Levi
I just fit mine up using the exact material. It was recommended from a guy who runs a rental fleet of bikes. It’s been holding up well for him. I won’t lay it against the header pipe but it should be more than fine for engine contact. I suggest using good scissors as the cut from my utility knife was a bit jagged.
Regardless, it’s very worth a try for the cost.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Cheap too! Used a heat gun to form it -figured it doubles as protection for the engine and bibs.
a07442f985f70ce40928bc41f73e79d6.jpg
bd168d58d0c60428d84759b5f1153969.jpg

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
What I found making heat covers:

insulated material does not improve raising your engine temps, been there and make those out of romex........just real hard to cover everything. went back to UHMW plastic sheet. Sheet will stay on tucked with no bolts or straps, soft material is a bunch of bungies and I snagged the romex inbushwackin'.

plastic sheet ( best I found is " RACE CAR PLASTIC )" from Jegs, comes in colors if you want to match bike colors. $25 for a roll that will do 2-3 bikes

KTM 500 I use one 6mm bolt to hold it on. molded it with heat gun to fit behind shifter and fit behind kick starter lever and slide up under the tank and tuck inside my ACERBIS plastic skid pan.

I run a heat exchanger and 190 degree thermostat, I thought I had a total coverage set up last Dec when riding in 15 degrees 2 ft of new blower/fine fine snow grandules, but even climbing I couldn't get the bike temps over 170 poaching a track or 150 breaking trail, went home that nite and built a cover for the back of the motor/cover to deflect snow from the track in front down/ full cover over the pipe, and added a piece up under my left side gas tank and around in front of the frame to stop air passage under the tank where my left side radiator is missing. Next morning in colder snow, same deep stuff she would run 190 poaching a track and about 180 breaking trail. I can run the same on a 60 degree bright sun slush spring day, spot on 190 no matter.

Make a really really good tight fit template from sheet of tag board/ poster board like a campaign sign before you cut plastic.

R
Mar 4, 2019
What I found making heat covers:

insulated material does not improve raising your engine temps, been there and make those out of romex........just real hard to cover everything. went back to UHMW plastic sheet. Sheet will stay on tucked with no bolts or straps, soft material is a bunch of bungies and I snagged the romex inbushwackin'.

plastic sheet ( best I found is " RACE CAR PLASTIC )" from Jegs, comes in colors if you want to match bike colors. $25 for a roll that will do 2-3 bikes

KTM 500 I use one 6mm bolt to hold it on. molded it with heat gun to fit behind shifter and fit behind kick starter lever and slide up under the tank and tuck inside my ACERBIS plastic skid pan.

I run a heat exchanger and 190 degree thermostat, I thought I had a total coverage set up last Dec when riding in 15 degrees 2 ft of new blower/fine fine snow grandules, but even climbing I couldn't get the bike temps over 170 poaching a track or 150 breaking trail, went home that nite and built a cover for the back of the motor/cover to deflect snow from the track in front down/ full cover over the pipe, and added a piece up under my left side gas tank and around in front of the frame to stop air passage under the tank where my left side radiator is missing. Next morning in colder snow, same deep stuff she would run 190 poaching a track and about 180 breaking trail. I can run the same on a 60 degree bright sun slush spring day, spot on 190 no matter.

Make a really really good tight fit template from sheet of tag board/ poster board like a campaign sign before you cut plastic.
Mind posting a picture of your setup.

P
Jan 3, 2018
NH
Dumb question... did those bungees come with your blanket? I’d like to replace my ball-bungees with those. Know what they’re called?

If you were asking me, next time make sure you quote my post so I get notified.

RevvUp included the metal ones with my blanket. I snapped several over the season since they tend to ice up pretty good. I picked up replacement plastic ones from McMaster Carr. Called Bin-Ti

IMG_3970.JPEG

T
Feb 17, 2019
Coolin, Idaho
For several years I have built my own engine covers/radiator covers etc. Yes they were inexpensive.
But nothing comes close to the Selkirk setup, for a factory style shroud and ability to keep temps around 170-190 in all conditions along with nice warm grips via the coolant filled handlebars. Ran it all last season---very pleased.
Find more info at selkirksmx.com

Premium Features