• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Did the air intake change on the 2009 models

S
Jan 29, 2008
Will 2009 m sled have a bog on exaust side of sled? And if in 4' of powder will they bog due to a lack of air? Hope the bog is gone for 2009.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
what is this very minor fix u speek of ?
mike:D

Small shield over exhaust dump and smal vent to suck air from behind headlight...
There are post on here that have been discussed on how to overcome this small undesireable headache with a minor fixin'
Heck the new dragons suck snow in the airbox- so they have a larger issue than we do.. there is alway's something needing attendion to intake in the super fluff

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
for less than $50 you can buy the slp high flow intake, put some petscreen in the front 4 holes of the hood and your good to go. the intake has 2 holes for it to breath from inside the engine compartment when the outside intakes get stuck. the pet screen keeps the pow out.

Last edited:
S
Jan 29, 2008
exaust, powder, Bog

a freind tryed blocking around the exuast, pulling the plug on the air intake, put screen on the front vents to eliminate snow in engin compartment. And still a bog with the M1000, in 4 feet of fluff. He has a powder machine and can only ride trails, I was hoping cat would have put better air intake to run powder. Any idea's, tryed out a dragon the same day worked fine with extra venting. No exaust bog.

A
Jan 16, 2008
Anyone have a link or pictures as to where you put the vent behind the headlights. CAn you put vents on either side of the speedo, will that link up to the intake plenum? Had some bog issues this weekned in the deep stuff. lookin to somehow add air to the intake on deep days. ALso goin to order the fastlane side panel vents. Lower under hood temps prevent boggin due to lower running temps?

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
It's not an exhaust bog! It's an intake bog that makes everyone think it's the exhaust bogging when the machine goes rich. As soon as I put on the BDX intake I can't make my sled bog for the life of me, even in 4 feet of deep, snow coming in on top of the silencer, anything, I've tried it all. Before I couldn't lean the sled over and plug the stock intake screens without bogging over and over again. Now I drown the sled in pow and it never hickups. Other cheaper fixes work, but I don't like how you can open the hood on the SLP setup and have snow fall in your airbox. The BDX intake is the best bang for your buck, top quality intake on the market which is complete as they come. I'm happy I bought the BDX when I was in the market for a Timbersled. Speedworks looks the same but may not have all the screen options the new BDX intakes have?

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
The 09 product will receive some changes to address this problem, mainly along the lines of what's already been discussed. As anyone who has ever riden an M1000 in the deep can testify, the problem is exhaust relate. So in conjunction with Speedwerx we have developed an all new silencer which employes a new outlet location. This actually fixes any related runnability issues associated with deep powder. Also in an effort to substantiate this claim, a money back guarantee will be granted if the install is done by VOHK performance. Details and cost will be announced soon.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
My M- always clogged the intake.....had to ride one handed and use the other as a wiper every 5 seconds in the deep to keep it running. Cure for me was a mesh hood.

A
Jan 16, 2008
So if i understand correctly, my sled (07 M8) ran weak in deep powder because the exhaust was being blocked with snow, not because my air intake wasn't getting air?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
WRONG WRONG AND SORT OF? I can't say for absolute certian on 1000's but m5/m6/m7'm8 proper air intake and you can run the exhaust under water or packed deep powder without bogging. The two issue are interrelated becasue once you cut air intake and have the sled running real......read real rich, then lots of resistance at the tail pipe creates a problem, forcing exhaust up into engine compartment where your engine SUCKS HOT AIR,EXHAUST AND STEAM off the motor if you haven't fixed that.

Go back and search the early season threads on making your headlight area into an aditional air box and adding air suppy to it behind the windshield. Does cost about $8 plus 2 hr shop time.

take your plenum off the sled and stare at where the air comes into it!!

1. seal the plenum from sucking hot air off the pipe and 10 times worse...... hot steam / plus exhaust from under the hood........and they all do stock suck underhood NO GOOD.
Use lots of aluminum foil tape, works as good as other way fancier setups I built and tried.

Don't cover the plenum hole...............seal the entire headlight/speedo pod area off from engine compartment.

Now add as many extra behind the windshield holes screened to double or triple the side intakekes, and while your at it, make some more bigger holes in top of plenum, dig in your wallet and buy some of the water proof side screen material from SLP and glue over the holes with 3m emblem adhesive( does turn this into the unltimate $21 fix now ).

Now borrow a scuba outfit, wait for the right day, 4' plus of light powder is ideal, ride till you hit something solid, then backup and head for the truck.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
Speaking to the RH pow bog, it made little difference with a vented hood, or double springs or sealed exhaust or 10 different intakes or any number of other voodoo fixes. In the wrong snow the things are nearly unridable, the only thing that absolutely eliminated right side bog was this new exhaust. I do agree that by effecting proper seal you enhance the intake by not drawing spent air in the auxiliary factory intake. We tested a sealed intake system that eliminated the potential of under hood intake by utilizing a outerwear covered diesel truck intake mounted behind the handlebars (not practical of course, just for proof of concept).

Premium Features