• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Known Boost Issues and if Polaris 2024 Models Will Address Them

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Zero issues with chaincase
Be proactive
Check your chain tension and track tension and set it according to the manual
Change chaincase oil
Simple service just like all sleds
Anyone can ruin chaincase gears and chain by doing dumb stuff
Usually driver error
People have done what you're saying and still had problems. Usually chaincase problems are lack of maintenance until this year. Is dumb stuff mean riding it?

C
Dec 14, 2020
Be proactive
Change chaincase oil
Usually driver error

Not this year. There's been a ton of blown up chains, and no parts to fix them. TKI should be making a killing.

You can't deny that in years past there were rarely chain issues and then in higher mileage neglected sleds. This year you have brand new 100 mile chains popping and taking out the case?

Not sure why doo won't drop the chains. Also not sure why Polaris insists on the stupidest belt setup they could dream up either though.

K
Apr 12, 2018
Be proactive
Change chaincase oil
Usually driver error
Bingo. 1300 miles on my gen5 and original chain. Check it often and yes it has stretched. The only other issues were the small metal tube that goes to the boost sensor broke causing a random loss of RPM, and an ignition coil that randomly dropped a cylinder. Neither problem needed towed and no riding days lost. Ran into a guy Saturday that got his Boost the second week of February, had the water pump fail and take out the motor at 38 miles. My lynx turbo has had zero issues and the chain has stretched on it as well. Tomorrow's another day of deep Wyoming powder. Maybe the chain case boogeyman will get me.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I have a ‘23 Boost and have no concerns with the blown out of proportion issues. Mine had the main wiring harness replaced for the (low fuel pressure - power reduced) code and also had maximum detonation detected code. Add a little 100LL and sled runs unbelievably strong. Polaris is working on a new map for the ‘23’S. I actually don’t mine the extra hp this map is giving me, even if I have to add a few liters of 100LL to each tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Be proactive and buy a ski Doo gen 5
Hands down the best sled I have ever owned coming from a seasoned veteran on Polaris sleds

Drop the mike[/QUOT

Unfortunately, still have to deal with the ****ty Doo handling and worry about exploding chain cases. To each, their own. All brands break down.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Bingo. 1300 miles on my gen5 and original chain. Check it often and yes it has stretched. The only other issues were the small metal tube that goes to the boost sensor broke causing a random loss of RPM, and an ignition coil that randomly dropped a cylinder. Neither problem needed towed and no riding days lost. Ran into a guy Saturday that got his Boost the second week of February, had the water pump fail and take out the motor at 38 miles. My lynx turbo has had zero issues and the chain has stretched on it as well. Tomorrow's another day of deep Wyoming powder. Maybe the chain case boogeyman will get me.
Absolutely not a bingo. It is not a user error maintenance wise that is leading to chain case issues. It’s inadequate parts for the hp and the 2 piece drive shaft is a flop. If you ride hard it’s only a matter of time before it fails. There is no perfect sled, the 3 Gen 5’s in my group (mine being one) have been the least reliable sleds we have had in awhile. Lots of shop days and lost ride days, mines been at the dealer for 6 weeks now. Picked up a boost in February, had a couple little things but hasn’t been on a rope yet and overall more reliable then my Gen 5.

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
I have a ‘23 Boost and have no concerns with the blown out of proportion issues. Mine had the main wiring harness replaced for the (low fuel pressure - power reduced) code and also had maximum detonation detected code. Add a little 100LL and sled runs unbelievably strong. Polaris is working on a new map for the ‘23’S. I actually don’t mine the extra hp this map is giving me, even if I have to add a few liters of 100LL to each tank.

I run everything on 100LL. Weed eater, chainsaw, jet ski, sleds. It just works great and doesn’t go bad. Even works pretty well in the 550 cubic inch airplane engine!

926D2728-6DF2-4322-919D-A8148E5AB553.jpeg 8BC3F0F5-9074-4049-8909-6E45327CAB91.jpeg

D
Jul 19, 2022
Wisconsin
Just the opposite
4 gen 5 sleds in my group and not one issue between them all
We all look over our sleds pre and post rides every time
We ride hard (who doesn’t?)
What’s the common denominator?
I’m going with the rider! / mechanic !
My sled has been the best sled I have ever bought
Extremely happy

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
You must have had some pretty pathetic riders on those early turbo doos, (maybe yourself?),to pull that comment out of your ass. No stock 850, especially a Polaris, could touch the turbo in the backcountry. Now if you're a trail warrior, which you might be, no summits have a top end and probably did lose your trail endurance run.
I am familiar with some of the areas teth-air rides and they are definitely in the no-trails to might make Ken65 cry range. Very aggressive stuff, for whatever that’s worth. Regardless, point seemed that the first Doo turbos were really just a token turbo, and now that they’re actually making power on the new one it has issues as well…that holds water from what I’ve seen. That said..,it’s a snowmobile, so welcome to the party lol

Last edited:

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
I run everything on 100LL. Weed eater, chainsaw, jet ski, sleds. It just works great and doesn’t go bad. Even works pretty well in the 550 cubic inch airplane engine!
Do you run pure 100LL on the stock tune? Or just add a little to each tank? Or have a 100LL tune?

I am planning to try a 100LL tune but probably going to wait til next season at this point to go through the trouble to re-clutch. The airport by my house sells 100LL 24/7 so it's easy enough to get. Curious on how you are using it, I honestly do not know much about it.

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
I have had most if not all the little issues everyones talks about and some new ones (quickdrive bearing went out and took the jackshaft with it) with the boost which are frustrating. I also have a Gen 5 that blew up the motor and turbo at 300 miles. They are both great sleds just part of the game. Get 2-3 new sleds so you always have a working model and sell them before the warranty expires. I ride ~70-100 days a year and its really the only way to make that many days happen. I have a 22 boost, 23 boost, 23 9R, and 23 G5. At one point only one of them ran this season which was surprisingly the 9R (no issues at all) tons of stuff with the turbos... My $0.02

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have had most if not all the little issues everyones talks about and some new ones (quickdrive bearing went out and took the jackshaft with it) with the boost which are frustrating. I also have a Gen 5 that blew up the motor and turbo at 300 miles. They are both great sleds just part of the game. Get 2-3 new sleds so you always have a working model and sell them before the warranty expires. I ride ~70-100 days a year and its really the only way to make that many days happen. I have a 22 boost, 23 boost, 23 9R, and 23 G5. At one point only one of them ran this season which was surprisingly the 9R (no issues at all) tons of stuff with the turbos... My $0.02
Yeah my brother has 2 boost sleds and a 9r.

He definitely has ridden the 9r most.

Also re torqued the 9r clutch bolt 3 times.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I had a 20.5 factory turbo and it was better than any NA sled. I will admit, for a turbo, it was a little underwhelming power wise. I only ride over 9000 ft mostly. The doo factory turbos just plain work and have since the first year and are virtually problem free until the G5 chain issue. I really prefer the Polaris chassis, that’s why I have them. Unfortunately it’s a love-hate relationship with all the recalls, stop rides and failed parts. It’s taken a bit of work to get my Polaris boost competitive with my G5 turbo. It sounds like most of the issues with the boost have been addressed for the 24’, hopefully

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
I have a 9R and rode a boost for the first time yesterday and damn the boost took a looooong time to spool and make power. I really want to try a Gen5 and see what the hype is about.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You must have had some pretty pathetic riders on those early turbo doos, (maybe yourself?),to pull that comment out of your ass. No stock 850, especially a Polaris, could touch the turbo in the backcountry. Now if you're a trail warrior, which you might be, no summits have a top end and probably did lose your trail endurance run.
Didn't take long for someone to get butt hurt and resort to name calling.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Be proactive and buy a ski Doo gen 5
Hands down the best sled I have ever owned coming from a seasoned veteran on Polaris sleds
No recalls. No brake baloney no bogging no wrenching on it for 2 days to make it right no buying all kinds of aftermarket stuff to make it right ski Doo Starts on 1/2 pull first time every time sitting outside all night
Shot is fantastic
Turbo is unbeatable
16” wide track 34” ski stance sounds like it won’t work but it does.
Find a buddy that has one and test drive it and you will buy one
Drop the mike
I stand by what I said about the N/A sleds beating up on the 21.5 and 22 Doos but I also don't argue that the G5 turbo is a great sled. It has been a great success and it rips.. The part about test driving and will be buying is not true though as the G5 turbo is like any turbo sled, purpose built and not for everybody's riding style.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have a 9R and rode a boost for the first time yesterday and damn the boost took a looooong time to spool and make power. I really want to try a Gen5 and see what the hype is about.
They rip. They are heavier and they don't handle as well as the Polaris but gas, oil and go. In certain snow they have been dominating. In Spring snow they don't work as well as the Polaris. But most guys don't care about Spring riding so much.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just the opposite
4 gen 5 sleds in my group and not one issue between them all
We all look over our sleds pre and post rides every time
We ride hard (who doesn’t?)
What’s the common denominator?
I’m going with the rider! / mechanic !
My sled has been the best sled I have ever bought
Extremely happy
Common denominator is luck. Anything you buy, you get lucky or you don't. Buddy came out on a rope on doo turbo on first ride. Is that because he is a sh!tty mechanic?

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
They rip. They are heavier and they don't handle as well as the Polaris but gas, oil and go. In certain snow they have been dominating. In Spring snow they don't work as well as the Polaris. But most guys don't care about Spring riding so much.

I would think anyone that is willing to spend this amount of money on a turboed sled dosent spend the money for spring riding it’s the deep pow. That’s where it matters.

Premium Features