• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CMXDS, RMI Drive system

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
Who is running one? How much gain over stock is it? Would you rather have an RMI or the CMXDS? Just curious how this works? Is the RMI that much better than the diamond drive? Who makes the best aftermarket drive system? By best I mean strongest and most efficiant.

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
I have an RMI drive on my turbo Yami in my sig. It makes huge power and never have had an issue with the drive at all. Very smooth power. RMI uses Caterpillar gears in their system.
My only issue is that I like to ride hard all day without ever shutting the sled off and back to back pulls seems to blow belts. I am now getting more air to my clutches and also putting a small fan on my clutch cover.

U
Nov 28, 2007
Alaska
Rmi

a buddy has the CMX belt drive on his sled he blows the belt drives belt and then the other one goes too :mad::mad: sounds expensive :mad: i think RMI all the way :D the RMI is bullet proof :D i haven't ran one yet just installed one in my IQr hope fully will have it on the snow by the end of the week :D:D

S

sled pilot

Oct 3, 2008
Trouble with CMX

The biggest problem with the CMX drive is that the Lower portion of the drive hangs way down. It is a prime target for stumps rocks etc. I know we are not supposed top hit that stuff.... but sometimes (early season) its out there. A good hit will end your day. Otherwise a good system

A
Dec 11, 2007
a buddy has the CMX belt drive on his sled he blows the belt drives belt and then the other one goes too :mad::mad: sounds expensive :mad: i think RMI all the way :D the RMI is bullet proof :D i haven't ran one yet just installed one in my IQr hope fully will have it on the snow by the end of the week :D:D

What kind of sled is the cmx on? And who installed it? Just asking because i recently installed one on my sled.

A
Dec 11, 2007
Who is running one? How much gain over stock is it? Would you rather have an RMI or the CMXDS? Just curious how this works? Is the RMI that much better than the diamond drive? Who makes the best aftermarket drive system? By best I mean strongest and most efficiant.

The rmi IMHO would be the most hassle free system on the market.:beer;

T
Nov 26, 2007
The only benefit of the RMI is no broken chains to worry about. Otherwise, a hyvo chain set-up is found to be 98% efficient, there are no real gains to be made there as far as drivetrain efficiency goes. The belt drive might be lighter, but their gains in those kits are usually really made in lighter drive and jackshafts, things you can buy for your hyvo chaincase set-up. The RMI is probably a bit heavier, and most likely not as efficient just due to gear to gear meshing, but again, with the insane places these big HP machines some people have, knowing you don't have a chain to blow can only be a good thing.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have a cmx on an 06 151 rev. As far as the gains it makes I'm not sure because I did a bunch of stuff to the sled all at once. The track turns over really easy.
The only problem I ever had was one bearing. Mark got new bearings and I never had any problems since. I had to put new brake pucks in it after the first season. Mark got better pucks and have been good since.
I bought a spare belt for it and have never blown one in three years and 3100 miles. There was a cheaper belt for about 80 and a better one for 120 or some where in there when I bought the unit. I just bought the cheap one for a spare. I don't know what he has going on now. Fabcraft put it on when they installed my tunnel so I know it was done right. Those guys swear by them and run them on all their personal sleds.

J

JPM

Nov 30, 2007
Alberta
RMI definitly the best

RMI drive is used in the most powefull sleds on snow and can take all that is handed too them. A good installation is important but worth the effort. The lack of a jackshaft in a tall tunnel pays of in many ways beyond being bulletproof.

R
T-Z Actually gear mesh is more efficient than a belt or the hy-vo. When the distance between input shaft & output is to great for more than two meshes the belt or chain will win. The diamond has too many gears. The RMI drive uses steel drive shaft for strength & is within 2 oz. in wt. compared to other drives when they use al. drive shafts. The RMI is not an easy install & is aimed at guy's that are doing custom chassis not just a few bolt on mods. If you have any ? give me a call. Thanks Ron 815-868-2409

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Ron is a great guy to deal with, and will go above and beyond to keep customers happy.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Ron, I've been around a few of the RMI drive units. Not saying they aren't great, as they are. I also agree in your assessment of the RMI vs. Diamond Drive. I think though, in reality, the biggest benefit I see and hear from people who own them is just that, they throw big HP at em and are happy to know they aren't going to lose a chain. Losing a chain means losing your brakes, and that usually means losing a sled.

The hyvo chain set-up has been found to be 98% efficient though, and honestly, if the RMI drive can find gains there, really, a 1% gain on a 150hp sled isn't really bread and butter stuff like the benefit of no chain to break is... If ya can get 1% on a 250HP sled, well 2.5HP isn't gonna get noticed either, that's all.

So, I'm not trying to say anything negative at all... Just pointing out what I see to be the biggest benefit of the RMI. (Safety with big HP sleds)

BTW, I owned a belt drive system and it was junked on day one.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
I had the RMI and they are tough.

I have never heard of one failing that was properly oiled.

I had a hard time with belts lasting.

I could not use the Yamaha belt on a turbo sled and I really had to be careful or I would blow the belt.

If I remember right I had to use a Ski doo belt and they just could not take the heat like the Yamaha belts can.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've never heard of an RMI failure. EVER. I know of one that fell out...cause it wasn't locktighted or something like that. HEHE. Cough cough..JIM....ahem...LOL

I have that same RMI in my Polaris GenII and have about 800-1000 miles on it. Been GREAT!!!!!

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
.........The hyvo chain set-up has been found to be 98% efficient though.........

I would be interested to see this backed up with the testing that "found" a chain to be 98% efficient. Not saying it's not possible, just want to see the evidence.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I talked to Ron Moring (RMI) about 10 yrs ago and he stopped due to other parts of his business needing more attention and that he had a seacan full of RMI drives and parts that he wasn't sure what he was going to find the time to do with. At the time I was looking for parts for a drive that failed due to lack of lube. Ended up parting out sled afterward (Doc Zoom Mountain Mod Build) as he wasn't interested in looking through all the stuff for parts. Not upset, I understand how people move on from things and he did offer to look in future if he had time. Met and rode with him in person in Revy a few years before that and he is a great guy. Hope he is still doing well.

Premium Features