• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch recall

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
My thoughts on this are slightly different. My theory is the reason the clutchs are falling off is the sleeve/bolt tolerance is tight and during normal shifting/use the clutch bolt head is contacting the sleeve it retains which is acting like an impact and slowly backing the bolt off. I checked bolt tq on my P22 every day and it took torque everyday. The P85 didnt have this issue as the bolt washer had some clearance to it and it could "walk" without contacting anything. I can see light marks on the inside of the sleeve where it appears the bolt head has touched. To me this theory also helps answer why some spiders are failing faster than others if the bolt is at all loose the spider is not being clamped in place properly.

Another thing that may have something to do with this is where these clutch's are manufactured. The P22 is a complete overseas unit. Team does not build any components for this clutch or do the final assembly.

All in all I will take the deflection screw and a P-85 over the current clutch's "advantage" of no deflection screw.
Yes that could be some of the issues with the P22, there are so many...my point was being they are made in China they put oil or something like that on all the steel parts so they dont rust on the boat coming over....no one at the factory cleaned them before installing on the cranks....Lapping helps remove the oil easier than trying to clean it all...the torque specs make no sense...impact them on and I have many customers do that and that helped the clutch stay on with less issues...Let alone the alum is WAY softer than the heat treated P85 alum...

F
Dec 30, 2019
So why no recall on the Boost? Same clutch as the 9R. My wifes 650 was recalled but not my Boost

Same clutch, but different crankshaft used on the Boost vs 650 and 9R. The problem with the primary bolt coming loose seems to only be an issue on the lightweight crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Same clutch, but different crankshaft used on the Boost vs 650 and 9R. The problem with the primary bolt coming loose seems to only be an issue on the lightweight crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
then why is the 850 recalled as well? no lightweight crank

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
p-85 clutch failure due to post cracking.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
From HCS

Three different Polaris clutch related recalls / Stop Ride / Stop Sale have been issued, here they are

Affecting approximately 22,100 units, with 197 reported failures. Less than a 1% reported failure rate.

1. Polaris Issues Stop Ride / Stop Sale For Model Year 2023 PATRIOT 9R MATRYX PRO RMK And PATRIOT 9R MATRYX RMK KHAOS

MY23 9R Primary Clutch recall.

Polaris has determined that Model Year 2023 PATRIOT 9R MATRYX PRO RMK and PATRIOT 9R MATRYX RMK KHAOS snowmobiles can have an increased risk of primary (drive) clutch failure. The failure can cause the clutch or clutch components to be separated from the unit, posing a potential injury hazard to consumers.

Number of affected vehicles: approximately 4,500 units globally

Number of incidents: Polaris has identified 89 reports of clutch failure, including eight reports where the clutch components separated from the unit. Polaris is not aware of any reports of personal injury associated with this concern.

This concern also affects clutch service parts. If the clutch on your vehicle has been replaced with part numbers 1327374 or 1327375, it is also affected. Your Polaris dealer will contact you if your unit has an affected service part.

Consumers should immediately stop using the impacted units. Polaris is currently evaluating a comprehensive action plan to correct this concern at no cost to consumers and will contact affected consumers once determined. DO NOT attempt any repairs yourself.

Polaris is notifying dealers and contacting registered owners directly.

Polaris has reported this matter to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

To search off-road recalls by model or vehicle identification number (VIN) to see if your unit is affected by any recalls, visit the Off-Road Safety Recalls page or call Polaris at 800-765-2747.

2. Polaris Issues Stop Ride / Stop Sale For Some Model Year 2022-2024 MATRYX Snowmobiles Equipped With PATRIOT 650 & PATRIOT 850 Engines

Primary clutches on some MY22-24 Matryx with 650/850 engines

Polaris has determined that some Model Year 2022-2024 MATRYX Snowmobiles equipped with PATRIOT 650 & PATRIOT 850 engines can have an increased risk of primary (drive) clutch failure due to post cracking. The failure can cause the clutch or clutch components to be separated from the unit, posing a potential injury hazard to consumers. The failure can cause the clutch or clutch components to be separated from the unit, posing a potential injury hazard to consumers.

Number of affected vehicles: approximately 13,000 units globally

Number of incidents: Polaris has identified 99 reports of clutch failure, including nine reports where the clutch components separated from the unit. Polaris is aware of one report of personal injury associated with this concern.

This concern also affects clutch service parts. If the clutch on your vehicle has been replaced with part number 1323613 or 1323614, it is also affected. Your Polaris dealer will contact you if your unit has an affected service part.

Consumers should immediately stop using the impacted units. Polaris is currently evaluating a comprehensive action plan to correct this concern at no cost to consumers and will contact affected consumers once determined. DO NOT attempt any repairs yourself.

To search off-road recalls by model or vehicle identification number (VIN) to see if your unit is affected by any recalls, visit the Off-Road Safety Recalls page or call Polaris at 800-765-2747.

3. Polaris Issues Stop Ride / Stop Sale For Some Model Year 2022 PATRIOT 850 MATRYX Snowmobiles Equipped With Electric Start

Ring Gears on Primary clutches of some MY22 850 Matryx w/Electric Start

Polaris has determined that some Model Year 2022 PATRIOT 850 MATRYX snowmobiles equipped with electric start can have an increased risk of ring gear failure. The failure can cause the clutch or clutch components to be separated from the unit, posing a potential injury hazard to consumers. The failure can cause the clutch or clutch components to be separated from the unit, posing a potential injury hazard to consumers.

Number of affected vehicles: approximately 4,600 units globally

Number of incidents: Polaris has identified nine reports of ring gear failure, including four reports where the clutch components separated from the unit. Polaris is aware of one report of personal injury associated with this concern.
This concern also affects clutch service parts. If the clutch on your vehicle has been replaced with part number 1323613, it is also affected. Your Polaris dealer will contact you if your unit has an affected service part.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Imagine my disappointment. I actually get 10 minutes of free time to visit this site with full expectations of the Forum Expert walking us through this P-22 issue and nada.

Has anybody checked to see if he is still alive? Did he crash his new pasta rocket?

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
Imagine my disappointment. I actually get 10 minutes of free time to visit this site with full expectations of the Forum Expert walking us through this P-22 issue and nada.

Has anybody checked to see if he is still alive? Did he crash his new pasta rocket?
glad to see your back on here, i have missed your wit and banter.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I can’t believe you poo rides put up with this. I get that the poo chassis is a little bit better than doo, but the motor isn’t and the reliability definitely isn’t even though skidoos was sub par for 23. I tell everyone I ride with that I would have poos if I had a lot of money, but I would need 3 and still probably a skidoo.
I havent really had any issues with my polaris sleds, 2014, 2016, 2021, 2023. I cant ride a skidoo, the steering is too weird for me. My 2020 alpha was fun.but had its downfalls. Maybe the catalyst will be better

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

C
Nov 29, 2008
I havent really had any issues with my polaris sleds, 2014, 2016, 2021, 2023. I cant ride a skidoo, the steering is too weird for me. My 2020 alpha was fun.but had its downfalls. Maybe the catalyst will be better

Pairs of 13, 14, 15, 16, & 18's so far and no major issues...tried doo a couple of times but the steering seems totally off

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain

Have you ridden a g5 turbo I can’t keep mine down long enough to use the skis. Seriously though it takes a lot to be able to ride different sleds. I rode all the brands this year and can get around well enough now on anything 2012+.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Have you ridden a g5 turbo I can’t keep mine down long enough to use the skis. Seriously though it takes a lot to be able to ride different sleds. I rode all the brands this year and can get around well enough now on anything 2012+.
I have not ridden the G5. I almost just said F-it when my 9R was delayed, there were G5s at the dealer ready to go. Coulda got a turbo for not much more than my 9r

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
I have not ridden the G5. I almost just said F-it when my 9R was delayed, there were G5s at the dealer ready to go. Coulda got a turbo for not much more than my 9r

I personally know of 4 guys that jumped ship last season and 2 more that jumped for snowcheck this year none of which had ever owned a doo. 5 to skidoo and 1 to lynx and none of them were disappointed at all and all of them have been riding since around the M series cat chassis or the edge Polaris chassis. That doesn’t count the guys I met in the parking lot that said they were tired of Polaris bs which is probably another 3 or 4.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Kinda interesting with the very small amount of clutch failures (less than 1%) that Polaris has theses recalls and Cat has had no recalls with their much higher failure rate on the ascender sleds. At least these are during the summer with some chance of repair before the season starts.
As for the guys jumping to Doo, they make a very good machine and it performs very well. I bought a 23’ doo expert turbo and it was a better chassis than anything they’ve ever made previously. The steering is still weird and it takes more effort than my 9R, boost 850 or NA 850 to backcountry ride. IMO, the matryx still performs much better than any skidoo in the backcountry. I’ll still buy and ride them both. Just put the P-85 on my matryx and no clutch failure worries

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Number of incidents: Polaris has identified 89 reports of clutch failure, including eight reports where the clutch components separated from the unit. Polaris is not aware of any reports of personal injury associated with this concern.

I find it hard to believe this stat, especially since I personally know of three of the said clutches "separated from the unit," and of one injury caused by that 2022 P-85 clutch hitting the rider's knee.

Calling BS, as usual, on Poo.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Kinda interesting with the very small amount of clutch failures (less than 1%) that Polaris has theses recalls and Cat has had no recalls with their much higher failure rate on the ascender sleds. At least these are during the summer with some chance of repair before the season starts.
As for the guys jumping to Doo, they make a very good machine and it performs very well. I bought a 23’ doo expert turbo and it was a better chassis than anything they’ve ever made previously. The steering is still weird and it takes more effort than my 9R, boost 850 or NA 850 to backcountry ride. IMO, the matryx still performs much better than any skidoo in the backcountry. I’ll still buy and ride them both. Just put the P-85 on my matryx and no clutch failure worries
its probably closer to the cat stats. Still suspect its the bearing in the clutch. cat guys wont just go back to the 17 clutch tho, why? better than a p-85 in my experience so far. i replaced a couple cracked p-85s on wedge chassis in the day, never exploded one tho, just precautionary replacements. only reason i said better than p-85, just my experience so far.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I find it hard to believe this stat, especially since I personally know of three of the said clutches "separated from the unit," and of one injury caused by that 2022 P-85 clutch hitting the rider's knee.

Calling BS, as usual, on Poo.

Don’t worry. That stat is fake news. Corporations have unreliable, fake data for metrics. Or it’s so old, it can’t be trusted. The only data that is ever close to truth is the cash meetings for the stockholders.

Premium Features