• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Kits for G5/Lynx Turbos for back country riding

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on clutch kits for their G5 or Lynx turbo …. Seems to me like there is a bit of low end responsiveness that could be gained over stock?

Have heard good things about Sledhead Racing and their kits but I’ve also been listening to these Ibex guys on the podcasts lately …. Wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on either kit.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on clutch kits for their G5 or Lynx turbo …. Seems to me like there is a bit of low end responsiveness that could be gained over stock?

Have heard good things about Sledhead Racing and their kits but I’ve also been listening to these Ibex guys on the podcasts lately …. Wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on either kit.
ibackshift clutch kit reviews, etc...
Snowest

Dootalk

G00gletron

Utube
utube

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I would check out Ibackshift, I am very happy with the overall improvement of your thumb being connected to the track. Consistent backshifting, and engine braking, its a very nice and noticeable improvement over a stock clutched sled.

Fyi I have SHR in a box, won’t be going in my sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I would check out Ibackshift, I am very happy with the overall improvement of your thumb being connected to the track. Consistent backshifting, and engine braking, its a very nice and noticeable improvement over a stock clutched sled.

Fyi I have SHR in a box, won’t be going in my sled.

If the shr is in a box have you ran it?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I ran shr kit in my buddy's sled for 3or 4 rides,. It has smooth engagement rpms like 3800 but smooth, but it also takes out the raw crazy flip over backwards power off the bottom end. Shr saids so it does not trench, just drives away. It does that but not what I'm looking for or anyone I ride with. It also has no pull, revs nice but no pull, the only place it out performed stock was it had a better backshift....
Also shr is not good to deal with, if you dont agree that his way of clutching a sled is right... it may be right or feel good for lots of people but not us, not even close.
I have a I backshift kit on the way, ill talked to Joe at i backshift a few times and he is there to help and not make fun of you because you don't like his clutching..

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
If the shr is in a box have you ran it?

Yep, I ran it in a NA sled I owned, back when very few options were available
I refused to put in my G4 turbo because I knew it would not work well. Waste of money to put a NA flyweight profile in a turbo sled.
Yes I have both the 967a and the SHR turbo flyweight, they are the exact same profile that came in the NA sled. I am just going to say it, snake oil, the 967a is the same mass with the setscrew hole fully loaded with setscrews and the turbo flyweight is solid, but its all about the tip weight according to the Big guy.

I was glad I was given the SHR turbo ones from someone who tried them, took them out, and said lazy bottom end and throttle response, he said worse than stock, yep they will need to be run on clicker 5 to work at all with a NA profile.
Regardless, It gave me an opportunity to compare them myself, I would have been pissed if I bought them and found that out. I seen pics of the SHR Lightning and they look identical in profile to the two sets I have in a box.

There is many new flyweight options from doo and DJ now has his own, which I hope to try out one day.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com

ski-doo 850 clutch kit ibackshift trystan.jpg

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Was looking for a kit last year and wanted one without the dumb magnet weights. There's probably seven different kits out there.
Was down to speedwerx and force. Called force and even asked about the non magnetic weight and they assured me they were not
Opened the box a year later shame on me. Gotdanm friggin bikeman weights in the box with a venom helix
Ordered an ibackshift and I hope it's in the mail. Looks like Joe uses the stock weight
Anyone wanna buy a force kit?

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Ibackshift since 2009 in all my sleds since then. Best kit out there Joe is always available I run them like his instructions say and I never had any issues. Will be getting one for my 24 Turbo when I head to Revy next week.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Ibackshift feels way better in a 54 rather than a 65. It takes a lot of the punch and trench out making harder to do all the “cool tricks” on the 65. Well worth the money either way. I love slowly creeping past stock 65 turbos that are trenched out with my 54 ibackshift turbo. Ultimate clutching for the steep trees.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Ibackshift feels way better in a 54 rather than a 65. It takes a lot of the punch and trench out making harder to do all the “cool tricks” on the 65. Well worth the money either way. I love slowly creeping past stock 65 turbos that are trenched out with my 54 ibackshift turbo. Ultimate clutching for the steep trees.
I hope not

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
IF/THEN Logic Statement...
IF want more punch and trench out, THEN can raise the clicker and add a 1/2 gram pivot bolt weight [the higher clicker number makes a quicker engine speed up]
IF want more punch and trench out, THEN raise engagement speed a little bit. Go from the 100 start to the 130 start, makes 250 more rpms. [the higher start force makes a quicker engine speed up]
IF want more punch and trench out, THEN can change the ramp [on a turbo] go from the 761 to the 903 [the higher start-of-ramp angle [903] makes a quicker engine speed up]
IF want more punch and trench out, THEN can change to a 20 or 19 top gear. [the lower gear makes the track wheel up even more quick]

In the end, have to run the sled yourself and adjust your ride style to fit the new conduct of the sled and let the tach tell you what to do.
We can do just about anything- but you have to start from somewhere with the standard kit, and go from there.

Last edited:
D
Dec 22, 2018
Yep, I ran it in a NA sled I owned, back when very few options were available
I refused to put in my G4 turbo because I knew it would not work well. Waste of money to put a NA flyweight profile in a turbo sled.
Yes I have both the 967a and the SHR turbo flyweight, they are the exact same profile that came in the NA sled. I am just going to say it, snake oil, the 967a is the same mass with the setscrew hole fully loaded with setscrews and the turbo flyweight is solid, but its all about the tip weight according to the Big guy.

Dont know about this weight or clutch kit personally, but...

If the weight has more curve, more revvy it will be. If you are driving a car with manual transimission, its the same as you keep low gear on and high rpm and shifting late.

More "flat" the weight is, its gonna shift more and gives more pull. Again its kinda if you are again driving a car with manual transmission and shifting gears up early aka shortshifting.

Sounds like these weights are adjustable. So you can add mass to the pivot but also on center and tip of the weight.

If you are using more tip weight, and lighter pivot and center weight, sled is gonna be more revvy and throttle response is faster. Usually 0,5g-1g more on the tip than on center works fine if you are going this route.

When you want more pull right from the start, you should run about equal center and tip weight.

Then you also have clikers. Positions 1 & 2 give more revvy feeling with more overshooting at the beginning. Position 3 is the best overall combining revvy feeling with decent pull. Positions 4 & 5 engage harder and you get that feel of pull right from the start with no overshoot. Just like riding a 4-stroke.

So to keep it short about adjustable weights:

If you want the sled to be revvy, light on throttle, use clikers 1-2, have weight with more curve and use 0,5-1g more tip weight. This is what I call deep snow calibration.

If you want more pull & track speed, use clikers 3-4, have weight with flatter curve and use equal weight on center and tip. This is what I call crossover calibration.

And ofc you can find a combination of these that suits your personal riding style.

About the claim that 967 weight profile doesnt work on turbo... its not that simple in my opinion.
First need to remember that turbo sleds have lower compression rate and the turbo. Response will always be slower than on n.a. engine. To compensate that, its not abnormal to use weights with more curve to compensate this small lack of response from low rpm.
This manufacturer has chosen this profile for the reasons we dont surely know. But in the end its the results that do the talking.

These people who sell clutching should always listen to customers and not push their own agenda. If somebody wants revvy, responsive sled, give it to them. If somebody wants low engagment, heavy loading and pulling clutching do that instead.

I have always tried to listen what a rider actually wants and deliver those qualities. We can debate endlessly debate whats good and whats not, but if somebody is paying for your expertise and knows what he/she wants you should deliver that.

In my experience, biggest problem is that those "newbies" dont know what they want. They might say they want deep snow clutching, but then I ask more specific and finds out they want to pop wheelies all the time and barely ever go to dense trees. But in their mind they ride deep snow because they have long track machine.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Did a quick ride on the i backshift kit. First off it smoothed out the engagement using the same primary spring i ran all last year 135-325. Right out of the hole its so close to stock response, but has more pull, And was holding 8000 rpm. We have lot of single track trails, to get in and out of the backcountry. only 2 sleds wide and they become very very icey . This kit hands down is amazing going down these spots. Holes back at 16-18 mph and the track is not locked up, just the engine holding it , Before its on and off the brakes flying down out of control. More fine tuning it tomorrow but ill be keeping the i backshift kit..

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
21 top gear will hold to about 16~15ish mph
20 top gear should hold to about 13~12mph
19 top gear should hold to about 10~9mph
...to make the engine braking hold another mph lower per gear, then tighten up the belt deflection more. Can make it to the point of almost squealing the belt, THEN Back off the deflection just a tad so the belt does not squeal.

Premium Features