• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone go NA to Turbo back to NA

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Anyone go from Na summit to turbo back to a NA
I had a 21 summit expert 154 NA2.5 track TKI belt drive, diamond s muffler, 10” rear wheel kit headlight delete DuPont slides and clutching the sled worked so good I do a lot of open country riding in Saskatchewan but do go west 3 times a year this sled was in the 410 lbs dry range.
I bought a 23 expert 154 put the 2.5 track on it and run it this year great sled power is solid but I feel the loss of the Na lightness this sled is stock and more in the 450 lbs range 40 lbs is a lot and problem is I’m not a young guy anymore and I can feel that weight difference.
So for 2024 I’ve decided to order a 154 summit x 154x2.5 they are 430 if I put a diamond s on it and tki should be back in that 410 dry range .

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
went out yesterday in probably the deepest powder i've seen in our area. the turbo r saved the day more than a few times. i can't see going back to an n/a and i don't feel the weight difference but maybe i would if i hopped back on an n/a but even so, i'd still choose the turbo. i also wouldn't put a can on it if weight were an issue for me, cans are great for muffpots and the like, but the noise is beyond lame.

Last edited:
A
Jan 31, 2010
went out yesterday in probably the deepest powder i've seen in our area. the turbo r saved the day more than a few times. i can't see going back to an n/a and i don't feel the weight difference but maybe i would if i hopped back on an n/a but even so, i'd still choose the turbo.
Turbos are nature's way of telling you that you need more displacement....

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Turbos are nature's way of telling you that you need more displacement....
more displacement is great but still equals horsepower loss at altitude. i don't know how much larger an engine would need to be so that horsepower loss wouldn't be felt or if it's even feasible.

J
Nov 20, 2021
Revelstoke
Im going back to an NA for next season. Couple reasons - too much money tied up in these new turbo sleds, and also the weight which I don’t like when you are picking your way through tight trees

When it’s really deep I definitely use the turbo and I know there will be times next year I’ll miss having one. However the reality is there are only a handful of those days for me each season (and I live in revelstoke … work gets in the way)

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Have 2022 Summit Expert Turbo with a 165” track, great sled especially when it is deep but is reality it is overkill for most of the riding I do which is technical tree riding seeking sweet powder shots. The weight penalty of the turbo can be felt in technical tree riding and the power is nice but tiring to control. Took delivery of a 9R Khaos in February to try a lighter sled and must admit I quite like it as there is about a 50 lbs weight difference between the two sleds. Will decide after this season if I will be keeping both or which sled to sell. May snow check a Gen 5 Summit N/A 850 and sell both the Gen 4 and the Khaos.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
There’s a pretty big difference in the feel of the expert you have and the summit-x you ordered for 24. Have you riden an X turbo? The X feels much lighter to most riders. You might be real happy with a turbo summit x

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I have one of both in G4 and ordered one of both. While the turbo is fun, I feel it's only needed in DEEP days. When it's not ballz deep I prefer the NA as the weight difference is noticeable and holding on to power can tire you out. I feel many get a turbo to make up for lack of talent.
if turbos helped in the talent department then i need to get my money back because i still suck.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
So for 2024 I’ve decided to order a 154 summit x 154x2.5 they are 430 if I put a diamond s on it and tki should be back in that 410 dry range .

You have done nothing but complain about your 23 C5 Summit didn’t come how you want from the factory and all the money you had to put in it to make it work for your specific riding.

Than you complained about all the Chinese parts and than bragged how Skidoo copied your 2023 build to spec out the 24 Freeride

So my question is why didnt you order the freeride so you don’t have to fix Skidoo’s Summit to work for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Well my 23 no doubt I had to customize it to my liking,
Chinese parts are real on it ,
Skidoo did spec the free ride same as my sled everyone thought I was dumb for building a sled this way but cool now that skidoo did it ,
2024 free ride I don’t like the colour scheme otherwise I would of ordered one .
On the 2024 summit x I would have transferred my 36” front end , pro 40s all 4 now from Enzo
And my 154x2.5x15
Reason for buying a x over expert is 1500$ plus tax T motion I want to try again if I don’t like it I can lock it out .
Frank the things I complained about are
Shocks that were flat and sprung soft
Chain and coupler
Check engine light on at new
I don’t think I’m the only guy on here that’s brought this up ?

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Well my 23 no doubt I had to customize it to my liking,
Chinese parts are real on it ,
Skidoo did spec the free ride same as my sled everyone thought I was dumb for building a sled this way but cool now that skidoo did it ,
2024 free ride I don’t like the colour scheme otherwise I would of ordered one .
On the 2024 summit x I would have transferred my 36” front end , pro 40s all 4 now from Enzo
And my 154x2.5x15
Reason for buying a x over expert is 1500$ plus tax T motion I want to try again if I don’t like it I can lock it out .
Frank the things I complained about are
Shocks that were flat and sprung soft
Chain and coupler
Check engine light on at new
I don’t think I’m the only guy on here that’s brought this up ?

I’m 100% with ya choosing the X over the expert and putting a better shock package on. Money way bettter spent.

Your definitely not the only guy to touch on those subjects, they are all real and are problems this season with the 23G5. In fact you were the first I remember that brought us the chaincase issues along with Caper11.

Just seemed odd you were ordering a new sled and another sled that will need modifications when they built your sled for you. Only cause you were overly vocal about the shortcoming of your China5 as you like to call it.

Either way man congrats on the new sled and hopefully lots of snow next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
No worries frank
I’m the type of guy that gives 110% so I expect at least ? lol
I’ve had more small issues with my 23 than any other sled than my 2007 summit x so I’ve bin a bit disappointed I’m not going to lie .
Hopefully 24 is a good year for everyone and these issues are behind us all

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Went out on a 8" fresh day and had a blast on the NA 850, didn't miss the turbo once. 2' plus and the turbo is soooooo much better. Guess I need 2 sleds minimum. :) Or decide which one is more important. Turbo definitely tires me out quicker.

A
Jan 31, 2010
more displacement is great but still equals horsepower loss at altitude. i don't know how much larger an engine would need to be so that horsepower loss wouldn't be felt or if it's even feasible.
I was mostly saying that as a joke., but not everyone rides high elevation. Most rides I dont go over 2,700 feet and some days I literally ride at sea level. From my experience the weight penalty of a turbski isnt worth it. The 9r seemed to keep up to a hair dryer just fine. So much so I spring checked one.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
true, not everyone rides high elevation so i'm guessing the vast majority of them don't have turbos.

Premium Features