• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check your 850 secondaries……

M
Sep 4, 2016
Yeah, Patrick’s. I had a long conversation with him about it. He hasn’t seen that failure before ?‍♂️ Clutch had 2k miles stock and 1k miles lightened.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Ehhh I'd be asking Patrick's why the crack went from their balancing mark, to their balancing mark... Might have gotten a bit aggressive with the "lightening" part of things...

S
Jan 21, 2016
3k miles not 3000k ?
That crack originated from the drill hole. If you look close another crack is also coming from one of the other drill holes. I worked in the airplane jungle Everett Washington for 35 years. The way they did the balance holes is a totally unacceptable on any part of an airplane. The sharp edge in the bottom corner of the hole should have a radius.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Crack very clearly starts at the corner of the sharp notch...which creates huge stress risers/concentrations and will initiate a crack. You can see the major failure/crack and you can also see a small crack starting right next to it.

A round drilled hole is much stronger and less likely to start a crack like that. And, yes, thermal and physical stress (both the same technically) will initiate cracks in notches like that.

Bad design.

C
Jan 14, 2020
Crack very clearly starts at the corner of the sharp notch...which creates huge stress risers/concentrations and will initiate a crack. You can see the major failure/crack and you can also see a small crack starting right next to it.

A round drilled hole is much stronger and less likely to start a crack like that. And, yes, thermal and physical stress (both the same technically) will initiate cracks in notches like that.

Bad design.
not only that, the factory drill holes don't create the stress point on the edge of the sheave.

whoever is grinding those on the edge is a big dumdumhead.

this is EXACTLY why airplanes don't have square windows. they are oval or circle.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
this is EXACTLY why airplanes don't have square windows. they are oval or circle.

True story there. Al is great...but once it starts to over stress in any manner, its done.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Ehhh I'd be asking Patrick's why the crack went from their balancing mark, to their balancing mark... Might have gotten a bit aggressive with the "lightening" part of things...
Yeah what he said. Seems like the fault line is staring right in their face.

Premium Features